New Stadium

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Rossi Martin
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

New Stadium

Post by Rossi Martin »

Torquay to be in new stadium by 2020
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Are you for real ~ do you read the rest of the forum ~ are you a 'gullible Gull'?

If I told you Elvis will be at tonight's game would you go along expecting to see him? :whistle:
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Are you claiming that Dave Thomas has suddenly undergone a conversion on the road to Damascus and stopped repeating verbatim whatever Clarke Osborne wants him to?

To do so would be to ignore everything you read and learn from this forum and BTPIR
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

merse btpir wrote: 18 Jul 2017, 12:44 Are you claiming that Dave Thomas has suddenly undergone a conversion on the road to Damascus and stopped repeating verbatim whatever Clarke Osborne wants him to?

To do so would be to ignore everything you read and learn from this forum and BTPIR
Believe it when I see it Merse. Hell freezing over comes to my mind!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Rossi Martin wrote: 18 Jul 2017, 11:32 Torquay to be in new stadium by 2020
:rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Ray Johnstone
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Halstead

Post by Ray Johnstone »

I have seen several photographs of Plainmoor on Google and it looks to be an adequate stadium for a club of Torquay's standing. A bizarre move from those in charge at Plainmoor.

Barrow's Texas based chairman Paul Casson has undertaken a feasibility study on the club's Holker Street home since taking control in 2014. He has since commissioned ambitious redevelopment plans, which include a stand by stand replacement of the stadium in order to generate a larger non matchday income. He has erected new floodlights this close season, and by 2025, after promotion to the Football League and the promised land of large ground development grants, Holker Street will be looking very different indeed. Maybe a scaled down version of Barrow's plan is the way forward for Torquay United?

Ray
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Surely it's the other way around? A scaled down version of Torquay's plan is the way forward for Barrow i think you meant to say.

The only difference being that a new Barrow stadium might actually end up getting built someday. =D

GI are the dogs when it comes to plans. Actual completion of specified plans though and you begin to see a different picture.

In fact i'm sure GI must stand for 'GONE INVISIBLE' like it's some sort of code word to explain when asked what the frig happened to their latest set of 'plans'.

One minute the plans are there and the existing stadium gets bulldozed and the next all at GI appear to have 'GONE INVISIBLE' along with the proposed new stadium. I have heard that the new ground once built though is to be sponsored by Tippex and the players shirts to be emblazoned with VANISH after kind laundry detergent company bosses thought it would fit in with the whole ethos.
Last edited by Yorkieandy on 18 Jul 2017, 16:54, edited 2 times in total.
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

And that it'll still be a sh**hole.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Okay, let's play devil's advocate and accept the good old Clarke will change a habit of a lifetime and actually deliver a stadium. We're still screwed as we'd be suddenly tenants paying a no doubt high rent and forever at the behest of commercial landlords. I don't trust the Council to come up with any terms that would be robust enough to leave the club as secure as they are at Plainmoor and remain firmly of the view that the sale of the freehold to GI (or to be fair to any commercial entity) would be the beginning of the end for the club no matter how glitzy things may seem in the very immediate short term. All that glitters is not gold and in GI's case it's very unlikely to ever be a single brick let alone gold!
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

knightmaregull wrote: 18 Jul 2017, 18:05 Okay, let's play devil's advocate and accept the good old Clarke will change a habit of a lifetime and actually deliver a stadium. We're still screwed as we'd be suddenly tenants paying a no doubt high rent and forever at the behest of commercial landlords. I don't trust the Council to come up with any terms that would be robust enough to leave the club as secure as they are at Plainmoor and remain firmly of the view that the sale of the freehold to GI (or to be fair to any commercial entity) would be the beginning of the end for the club no matter how glitzy things may seem in the very immediate short term. All that glitters is not gold and in GI's case it's very unlikely to ever be a single brick let alone gold!
There's literally no way the Council could put together a stadium deal that would be as beneficial to the Gulls as the current one. We all know the Council are shite but it's commercially utterly beyond their ability to make a stadium move make sense to the club and satisfy GI's needs. A new stadium costs money, this will need to be recouped. GI will not build a new stadium just to remain revenue neutral at the end. They will want ongoing revenue streams, which will come from the revenue of events held there, parking, concessions, conference facilities onsite etc., all the extra revenue which could push Utd back into the FL and potentially L1. This will be combined with a land swap of some kind involving Plainmoor and housing development (GI's modus operandi) giving them an initial return - covering the initial costs of the stadium move and likely a bit on top and ongoing returns year on year through the stadium development to add to their ongoing revenue.

If the Council turned around to them and said 'you can build your stadium' but the club must own it/benefit from it's revenues, GI would run a mile as there is absolutely no benefit in that to them. The Council building a new stadium for the club or a wealthy benefactor doing it and gifting the stadium to the club could turn around the club completely in the manner of the Exeter Chiefs, GI doing it means that at the very best United go from being tenants of a very lenient landlord to tenants of a landlord that could kick them out at any moment and will use the club as an anchor tenant for their revenue generating stadium. They will provide Utd only the very minimum budget required for the club to continue operating and giving GI 23 dates a year for revenue generating activity.

This is the very best scenario where GI actually builds a stadium and doesn't trick the Council into releasing land and then does a runner. Either way neither scenario makes any sense to the club.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

What other revenue streams would a new stadium have .....car boot sale on Sunday morning , yellowfest ! , rugby.....

Can't see sting or even any decent 80s revival band coming to torquay .
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

I can see how designing and building a new stadium may take 3 years but Clarke Osborne seems to have taken no account of the planning process in his timetable.

It's difficult to search back on the Herald site because of the change to Devonlive, but I’m sure that there were objections to the proposed stadium at Nightingale Park by local residents and current users. There are bound to be objections which means the planning process itself could take 3 years.

Does telling shareholders that TUFC will be in a new stadium within 3 years demonstrate Clarke Osborne’s lack of experience when it comes to building stadiums?
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

I'll put this on this more relevant thread.

Well there we have it. A statement saying a stadium built in less than 3 years. This is indeed an important comment. You are all right to be sceptical. What with the new drainage/flood regulations that came out in April (the percolation tests alone would take over 12 months) building on made up ground, building on contaminated ground etc, you are closer to a decade before any new ground manifests itself. This is a huge mistake by the new owners. I would say it is IMPOSSIBLE for a new ground to be built in three years. It is either a downright lie and they are trying to have people over or they are so out of touch with planning as to be unbelievably incompetent.

I have seen various comments about how we should perhaps give GI the benefit of doubt in relation to this statement about being in a stadium within 3 years. Trouble is the statement is incorrect and they know it and consequently they have no credibility at all from now on. This is further evidence that you cannot trust them - I regret to say.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

samuel wrote: 19 Jul 2017, 12:29 I have seen various comments about how we should perhaps give GI the benefit of doubt in relation to this statement about being in a stadium within 3 years. Trouble is the statement is incorrect and they know it and consequently they have no credibility at all from now on. This is further evidence that you cannot trust them - I regret to say.
I agree most wholeheartedly with you on this and would express my dismay at the manner in which there seems to be a swell of wishful thinking generated ambivalence and complacency over Gaming International percolating onto the site ..........

This is exactly their purpose at the moment and their 'Plan B', after their 'Plan A' was wholeheartedly fought and exposed through the efforts of BTPIR and torquayfans.com in conjunction with TUST ensuring that the wilful neglect of the Herald Express to call them to account over their shocking past record be publicly challenged; and no longer could they surreptitiously smarm their way through with the Torbay Development Agency and the Mayor in the age old fashion of corruption and graft.

Do not be fooled by new badges/websites/kits any more than you should be fooled by pie in the sky talk of a new stadium conceived, built and completed by 2020..........ask the people of Swindon still waiting for the stadium they were promised for 2010 ~ still waiting in 2017; the people of Reading who never saw a thing and the people of Milton Keynes where all hope disappeared with that at Reading long, long ago.