Tiverton Town v Torquay United.

Matchday topics are moved here for easier viewing.

tomogull
Player Coach
Player Coach
Posts: 2164
Joined: 19 Nov 2012, 10:49
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Tiverton Town v Torquay United.

Post by tomogull » 14 Jul 2017, 23:43

Goose9 wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 22:57
threelittlepiglets wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 22:43
arcadia wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 21:41

We've been beaten by a good side and very good manager in Martin Rogers.
No they beat a shit side with a very poor manager!
And I suppose you've got a perfectly good explanation as to why you think that he is a very poor manager? You seem to have a habit of insulting certain people without having the stones to provide one piece of evidence or explanation. Calling Steve Breed a 'farce of a human' still sticks in my mind...
Yes - there are often new posters who come on here and add sensibly to the threads. Threelittlepigs is the opposite as evidenced by his insulting description of Steve Breed and an obnoxious comment on the lines of 'Nicholson would clean the toilets at Plainmoor to be able to remain in the area'. I much prefer reading the posts of Ray from Barrow !


digbygull
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 3
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 23:14

Post by digbygull » 14 Jul 2017, 23:51

Oudabade wasn't terrible, but then I can't actually remember him doing an awful lot. That could be due to a lack of decent service...

I lost track in the second half a bit to be honest but yes those two seem to be from Torquay academy and I also just assumed Hancock/Hancox were the same person


tomogull
Player Coach
Player Coach
Posts: 2164
Joined: 19 Nov 2012, 10:49
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull » 14 Jul 2017, 23:58

digbygull wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 23:51
Oudabade wasn't terrible, but then I can't actually remember him doing an awful lot. That could be due to a lack of decent service...

I lost track in the second half a bit to be honest but yes those two seem to be from Torquay academy and I also just assumed Hancock/Hancox were the same person
Thanks for that. Yes - it was almost certainly Will Hancox. Cheers ! :-D


dannyrvtufc4life
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2390
Joined: 05 Sep 2010, 15:20
Favourite player: ??
Location: Woodland Park, Colorado, USA
Contact:

Post by dannyrvtufc4life » 15 Jul 2017, 00:07

digbygull wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 23:31
In terms of the game tonight I thought we were poor all over the pitch, Tiverton were definitely the better team. We hardly tested Rice at all. First time I've seen Higgins and he was one of the few to come away with any credit.

Slightly worrying when you consider this was mostly our first team (especially in the 1st half when we were at our worst). However, this was only a friendly, and by all accounts we were a lot better than this two days ago.

More disappoining than the performance for me were the two flares let off during the game, presumably by Torquay 'fans' as one was after our disallowed goal, and by Reid going in hard on Tiverton players and then confronting a Torquay fan who'd rightly told him to calm down after the final whistle (having to be dragged away by a Tivvy player).

*facepalm*
General ramblings, always loquacious on a prodigious amount of different subject matters.
https://dannyharveyblog.wordpress.com/


desperado
First Team
First Team
Posts: 119
Joined: 21 Jan 2017, 19:03
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado » 15 Jul 2017, 07:59

Yes Rogers is an excellent manager, when he was mentioned as a possible Torquay manager many people
were laughing, but he can certainly mould a team. They were so much pacier, sharper great movement and
options for the player on the ball, slick passing, made us look sluggish and predictable. Keating and several
players were bullied and I hope we dont sign Odebade, not the answer


desperado
First Team
First Team
Posts: 119
Joined: 21 Jan 2017, 19:03
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado » 15 Jul 2017, 08:10

Forgot to add and this will make you laugh Tomogull, the official programme listed two of our players as
Simon Heslop and Karl Hawley ......I am not kidding ! The bloke next to me showed me the programme,
The announcer said, sorry about the Torquay substitutions, 'I haven't got a clue '


desperado
First Team
First Team
Posts: 119
Joined: 21 Jan 2017, 19:03
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado » 15 Jul 2017, 08:14

Piglet, Goose has already apologised, what is the matter with you ? Go and have a lie down


digbygull
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 3
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 23:14

Post by digbygull » 15 Jul 2017, 09:03

No, Reid was completely out of order, he seemed far too fired up (the only one) and like you said I thought he should have been sent off if it wasn't a friendly. To compound it all his attitude was awful. Never seen him as that kind of player so hoping it's a one off.


LankyGull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Posts: 20
Joined: 12 Jul 2017, 21:54
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by LankyGull » 15 Jul 2017, 09:42

I'm all for a bit aggression and will to fight but when, by the sounds of it, an opposition player is put in danger once, let alone multiple times that's not what we want. Reid isn't usually that kind of player so hopefully just a blip on a bad night in general.


arcadia
Player Coach
Player Coach
Posts: 1580
Joined: 07 Oct 2013, 17:48
Favourite player: S Chaney McGinty
Location: Preston Sands

Post by arcadia » 15 Jul 2017, 14:25

desperado wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 07:59
Yes Rogers is an excellent manager, when he was mentioned as a possible Torquay manager many people
were laughing, but he can certainly mould a team. They were so much pacier, sharper great movement and
options for the player on the ball, slick passing, made us look sluggish and predictable. Keating and several
players were bullied and I hope we dont sign Odebade, not the answer
Martin and Sean Joyce are the two best non-league managers in the south west.


Horseshoegas47
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 1
Joined: 16 Jul 2017, 14:27
Favourite player: Gosling

Post by Horseshoegas47 » 16 Jul 2017, 14:57

Hello all, I am a Bristol Rovers fan of 30+ years who has just moved to Newton Abbott. Whilst I will still travel to Bristol when the Gas are home I am hoping to adopt TUFC as my second team. I have been spoilt having Darrell Clark as a manager but having watched with interest preseason friendliest at Newton Spurs, Stoke Gabriel, Bristol City and now Tivvy I would suggest unless we want another season of struggling the club need to bring someone of experience in to help Nicho.
Nicho seems a genuinely nice person and he wants to be successful but he appears nieve and to be making some grave errors of judgement, firstly I found the Newton Spurs & Stoke Gabriel games pointless, at NS the stand out players were Fondrop and Malpas (confirmed by our own Twitter feed), Fondrop has not been seen since and Malpas got 45 minutes at SG with a number of 16 year olds, note we were 1:0 up when he went off there and Nicho we lost 5:2 after chosing to play our kit man and Assistant Manager which as posted by many was disrespectful to fans, opposition and the serious trialists who are trying to earn a contract.
Why not play the full squad in these games, it's clearly a new squad which needs game time, why not respect the trialists and allow them to play with the full squad, that's what Darrell and all other clubs seem to do, in all fairness what will you learn and how fair is it to 'trial' lads playing alongside a team made up of 16 year olds playing their first every senior game. Some of these same schoolboys were on the bench at Tivvy, again why not allow some serious trialists to play, we are a few weeks from ok and clearly need more strength in depth.
I saw a similar niavity with Darrell when he first arrived but some experienced older heads helped him, I think Nicho, who clearly cares about TUFC, would benefit from some similar support.
I look forward to meeting other posters at the games and look forward to the season ahead.


forevertufc
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6628
Joined: 05 Sep 2010, 07:57
Location: Newton abbot

Post by forevertufc » 16 Jul 2017, 16:21

Having an experience head upstairs isn't a bad thing, we've seen it up the road with Perryman/Tisdale. Can't see it happening here at TUFC, Clarke Osborn has brought in his mate the salad dodger, where's the money or the room to bring in a director of football / consultant to Nicho, it's not going to happen.

Not sure why some are getting so heated over pre-season results and performances, pre-season has never, and will never be an indicator to how any teams season is going to pan out, we have a new squad which needs time to build up on-field partnerships and understandings, hence part of the reason why you play pre-season games, they're not all about building up sharpness.

Said on a post last week, why are we feeling the need to over complicate something that has not happened yet, our new squad has not kicked a single ball in anger yet, 10-15 games into the season is when we'll start to get a feeling as whether, Nicho is developing as our manager, and whether our new squad is capable of restoring some pride in our club.

Come late November, if results and performances are akin to last season, then enough will be enough and the club no doubt will move on, but what will we be saying, if the team are top half and competing, will we need someone with experience to nurse maid the manager then.

Time to back Nicho , then wait and see.


arcadia
Player Coach
Player Coach
Posts: 1580
Joined: 07 Oct 2013, 17:48
Favourite player: S Chaney McGinty
Location: Preston Sands

Post by arcadia » 16 Jul 2017, 17:16

forevertufc wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 16:21
Having an experience head upstairs isn't a bad thing, we've seen it up the road with Perryman/Tisdale. Can't see it happening here at TUFC, Clarke Osborn has brought in his mate the salad dodger, where's the money or the room to bring in a director of football / consultant to Nicho, it's not going to happen.

Not sure why some are getting so heated over pre-season results and performances, pre-season has never, and will never be an indicator to how any teams season is going to pan out, we have a new squad which needs time to build up on-field partnerships and understandings, hence part of the reason why you play pre-season games, they're not all about building up sharpness.

Said on a post last week, why are we feeling the need to over complicate something that has not happened yet, our new squad has not kicked a single ball in anger yet, 10-15 games into the season is when we'll start to get a feeling as whether, Nicho is developing as our manager, and whether our new squad is capable of restoring some pride in our club.

Come late November, if results and performances are akin to last season, then enough will be enough and the club no doubt will move on, but what will we be saying, if the team are top half and competing, will we need someone with experience to nurse maid the manager then.

Time to back Nicho , then wait and see.
How can you say Nicho is a developing manager this is the third team he has had to build, I would say he's more experienced now than most get the chance to be.
We need some belief and it would have been sensible to start off playing the expected team against St Gabriel or Spurs. After ten games as a Chairman I would expect to be at least half way up the table after ten games.

This season we need to progress and yes to have a more experience person with Nicho would be a great idea and if he looked a bit farther than his nose Aidie Britton would be ideal.


lucy6lucy
Player Coach
Player Coach
Posts: 1489
Joined: 13 Feb 2012, 21:13
Favourite player: McGinty
Location: Wigan

Post by lucy6lucy » 16 Jul 2017, 18:15

arcadia wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 17:16
forevertufc wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 16:21
Having an experience head upstairs isn't a bad thing, we've seen it up the road with Perryman/Tisdale. Can't see it happening here at TUFC, Clarke Osborn has brought in his mate the salad dodger, where's the money or the room to bring in a director of football / consultant to Nicho, it's not going to happen.

Not sure why some are getting so heated over pre-season results and performances, pre-season has never, and will never be an indicator to how any teams season is going to pan out, we have a new squad which needs time to build up on-field partnerships and understandings, hence part of the reason why you play pre-season games, they're not all about building up sharpness.

Said on a post last week, why are we feeling the need to over complicate something that has not happened yet, our new squad has not kicked a single ball in anger yet, 10-15 games into the season is when we'll start to get a feeling as whether, Nicho is developing as our manager, and whether our new squad is capable of restoring some pride in our club.

Come late November, if results and performances are akin to last season, then enough will be enough and the club no doubt will move on, but what will we be saying, if the team are top half and competing, will we need someone with experience to nurse maid the manager then.

Time to back Nicho , then wait and see.
How can you say Nicho is a developing manager this is the third team he has had to build, I would say he's more experienced now than most get the chance to be.
We need some belief and it would have been sensible to start off playing the expected team against St Gabriel or Spurs. After ten games as a Chairman I would expect to be at least half way up the table after ten games.

This season we need to progress and yes to have a more experience person with Nicho would be a great idea and if he looked a bit farther than his nose Aidie Britton would be ideal.
Last season we had a great, in fact almost impeccable pre-season we all thought Rome had been rebuilt. Then we played Macclesfield and we all knew after that game we where in for a long hard suffering season. So we lose 3-1 Tiverton less than 48 hours after the 1st match these new players have played together. Let's all get a grip who are already on KN case. I would rather the team experiment formations/tactics in these friendlys before the real matches start.
Lucy


forevertufc
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6628
Joined: 05 Sep 2010, 07:57
Location: Newton abbot

Post by forevertufc » 16 Jul 2017, 18:41

arcadia wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 17:16

How can you say Nicho is a developing manager this is the third team he has had to build, I would say he's more experienced now than most get the chance to be.
We need some belief and it would have been sensible to start off playing the expected team against St Gabriel or Spurs. After ten games as a Chairman I would expect to be at least half way up the table after ten games.

This season we need to progress and yes to have a more experience person with Nicho would be a great idea and if he looked a bit farther than his nose Aidie Britton would be ideal.
In many ways here, your arguing against your own argument. One minute your saying Nicho is not a developing manager because he's built three teams, then on the other hand your saying he needs guidance from someone more experienced, he's either got the experience or hasn't, which it is?

As said before, I am not Nicho's biggest fan when it comes to the job he's done as our manager, but we have to be fair also, if you compare Nicho to say Danny Cowley, Cowley had, I believe six seasons at Concord, before Braintree and then Lincoln. It's perhaps easy to forget, that KN has had only 'one' full league season as a manager at any level, so yes he is a developing manager.

The point being missed here is, as I've said, where does this so called experienced person fit in ? The club has a budget, this person would have to fit into that budget, unless they were prepared to travel and work for free, this person would come with a cost. I'll answer it for you, either Geoff Harrop or Robbie Herrera would have to go, trust me, neither would happen, so forget it.

That leads me on to another point I've made over the last few days. If either the club or Nicho himself think he needs guidance from someone more experienced then he should be replaced.

But I do agree with you on one point, the team does have to progress this season, your spot on there, we have to see our team push on to at least upper mid table this term, it's a massive make or break season for Nicho, but it is pointless questioning the manager over pre-season.

Post Reply