What would you like to change at TUFC?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

threelittlepiglets wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 18:09 my answer to the post thread - 'the manager'
YAWN

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I think the manager has proved that he can set a side up but is to eager to make substitutions at 0-0 or 0-1 or 1-0 he needs an experienced head on the bench to stop him making these mistakes. We lost several games through not being patient and putting the wrong players on. All these games are tight and sometimes it's better to take a point than nothing at all. I thought he might have asked Aiddie Britton to be in the box after last Tuesdays game.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

arcadia wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 18:59 I think the manager has proved that he can set a side up but is to eager to make substitutions at 0-0 or 0-1 or 1-0 he needs an experienced head on the bench to stop him making these mistakes. We lost several games through not being patient and putting the wrong players on. All these games are tight and sometimes it's better to take a point than nothing at all. I thought he might have asked Aiddie Britton to be in the box after last Tuesdays game.
From watching away games; I'm totally with you on that, and in my opinion it has been the appalling lack of quality from within the technical area that has been the cause of much of the problems out on the pitch.

Dreadful lack of balance in his line-ups; tell tale giveaways like hoofing the ball straight back to the opposition or into touch from the kick-off, and unnecessarily chasing games as you describe point to a combined lack of managerial and game management that has cost the club dear for two seasons.

You can make all the close season signings you like, but f you don't change the driver then the sum parts of the components will fail again.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

merse btpir wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 19:42 From watching away games; I'm totally with you on that, and in my opinion it has been the appalling lack of quality from within the technical area that has been the cause of much of the problems out on the pitch.

Dreadful lack of balance in his line-ups; tell tale giveaways like hoofing the ball straight back to the opposition or into touch from the kick-off, and unnecessarily chasing games as you describe point to a combined lack of managerial and game management that has cost the club dear for two seasons.

You can make all the close season signings you like, but f you don't change the driver then the sum parts of the components will fail again.
A prime example of tactics is when we lost was it 8-3 at home two seasons ago. (Nothing to do with Nicho) McDonald was on the right side of a back three and the opposition put a wide player with pace on him. Dean Edwards and the other guy did nothing we should have played a right back as McDonald could not cope. This should have been sorted after ten minutes look what happened.
A friend mentioned Lincoln away when Gerring was brought on and cost us the game. This is important we need someone with no pressure to give Nicho guidance not take his job away.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Under 10's free with an adult.
Schools can have free tickets for under 10's with enough adults to look after them paying.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Regards Nicho, those who know me on the forum, or read posts will know, I've never made it a big secret regards Nicho's management of the team, I have not been his biggest fan, many will also know I'm not a fan of so called club legends returning as a manager either, all this he knows the club, loves the club, would do anything for it, is just nonsense, I see that as a disadvantage, and often an obstacle, personally prefer to have someone with out emotional tie's, that has no friends or acquaintances still at the club, as often they can see from better perspective what needs to be done.

But, also, I listened to every word Nicho said in his speech after the Ferriby game, thought he was sincere, and felt he meant every word of it and feel it's only right he gets the chance to prove what he (Nicho) can do, right now our new team has not kicked a single ball in anger, we can't at the moment find ourselves in a position where, we are over analyzing every word Nicho says, every decision he takes, every signing he makes.

We don't as yet know the final make of the squad, or how this season is going to pan out, one thing I do know, and no inside knowledge is needed here, Nicho clearly has had the green light, to bring greater experience to the squad, if he doesn't deliver results, he isn't going to last very long, I'm sure Nicho is well aware of this himself.

As for the point made above about bringing some experience to help Nicho, yes I know the club done this before, but I don't see this as the right option at the moment, as said above, we're not one single game into the season, Nicho has not yet had the chance to prove he's learned by his mistakes, so what help does he need. For me back Nicho or sack him, simple, need to over complicate a situation that hasn't happened yet.

As for what I would to change about the club, this soft underbelly that's surrounded our club for as long as I can remember, from successive boards, to some managers, managers who've together squads with the same soft underbelly, and us fans, yes, not meant offend, but it's true, we have a fan-base that, at times comes across wetter than a Huggies wet wipe.

We complain because other teams have come the village leagues and passed us by, we complain because other teams come and play us with some players who are little bit rough, we complain because other clubs don't always quite play by the rules and so on, maybe that's why we're in the mess we're in, and their not.
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

I think Nicho's strength is how to put a side together but has no idea when to make substitutions or spot which player he needs to stop.
Nicho talks very well but it's the managers who talk less that do the business.
Nicho would have learnt by now this is why I believe he needs experience to turn to, hope I am wrong.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

arcadia wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 22:31 I think Nicho's strength is how to put a side together but has no idea when to make substitutions or spot which player he needs to stop.
Nicho talks very well but it's the managers who talk less that do the business.
Nicho would have learnt by now this is why I believe he needs experience to turn to, hope I am wrong.
It's the managers who don't take shit from their players and make sure that they all know who the boss is, they are the ones that are successful.

It's managers with big egos that are successful.

It's managers who have the courage of their convictions that are successful.

It's managers that ensure they have the backing of the board that are successful.

Let's take one of the most successful managers of recent history, Sir Alex Ferguson (please don't think I'm comparing Nico to him) - he stuck by his team, stuck by his own thinking and didn't change things when the going got tough in 1991, and one player whom he backed, Lee Martin, scored a goal that saved his managerial career at Man U. The rest is history.

Some managers need that one break of fortune and then it clicks into place. I truly believe that Nico has all the right ingredients, he just need to get them mixed correctly and then he will be away. He is being backed by this board (albeit I still don't trust them, but that's another story) and he has assistance now with a scouting "team" - he just needs to get things moving the way he wants them to and he will be sorted.

Maybe I've just got rose tinted specs on but I believe that Nico will be a success at this club, and that this season will be the start of good things.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Nico needs to make 2 more signings, who are quality. No more also rans. A quality target man and a pacey left winger! First on the team sheet.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

forevertufc wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 22:06 Regards Nicho, those who know me on the forum, or read posts will know, I've never made it a big secret regards Nicho's management of the team, I have not been his biggest fan, many will also know I'm not a fan of so called club legends returning as a manager either, all this he knows the club, loves the club, would do anything for it, is just nonsense, I see that as a disadvantage, and often an obstacle, personally prefer to have someone with out emotional tie's, that has no friends or acquaintances still at the club, as often they can see from better perspective what needs to be done.

But, also, I listened to every word Nicho said in his speech after the Ferriby game, thought he was sincere, and felt he meant every word of it and feel it's only right he gets the chance to prove what he (Nicho) can do, right now our new team has not kicked a single ball in anger, we can't at the moment find ourselves in a position where, we are over analyzing every word Nicho says, every decision he takes, every signing he makes.

We don't as yet know the final make of the squad, or how this season is going to pan out, one thing I do know, and no inside knowledge is needed here, Nicho clearly has had the green light, to bring greater experience to the squad, if he doesn't deliver results, he isn't going to last very long, I'm sure Nicho is well aware of this himself.

As for the point made above about bringing some experience to help Nicho, yes I know the club done this before, but I don't see this as the right option at the moment, as said above, we're not one single game into the season, Nicho has not yet had the chance to prove he's learned by his mistakes, so what help does he need. For me back Nicho or sack him, simple, need to over complicate a situation that hasn't happened yet.

As for what I would to change about the club, this soft underbelly that's surrounded our club for as long as I can remember, from successive boards, to some managers, managers who've together squads with the same soft underbelly, and us fans, yes, not meant offend, but it's true, we have a fan-base that, at times comes across wetter than a Huggies wet wipe.

We complain because other teams have come the village leagues and passed us by, we complain because other teams come and play us with some players who are little bit rough, we complain because other clubs don't always quite play by the rules and so on, maybe that's why we're in the mess we're in, and their not.
Agree totally, and it is the sentimental soft underbelly of the support that propelled Nicholson to untouchable diety status that meant GI thought they couldn't sack him despite his abysmal record.
Flipper
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Angus Mac

Post by Flipper »

threelittlepiglets wrote: 10 Jul 2017, 09:31 Something tells me that he might finally be coming to the end of the road...
Something or someone ?
Flipper
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Flipper »

I don't doubt that the powers that be are just waiting for the opportunity to get rid.
S4fedr1ve
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Andy Donnelly

Post by S4fedr1ve »

If he wins the first few games and beyond maybe you will stop moaning and groaning. The season hasn't even started yet. Let's try and be a bit positive.
Flipper
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Flipper »

I am positive. I'm looking forward to the season and think he's made some good signings and he's that little bit wiser. He's still a young manager.
Flipper
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Flipper »

"I just want to watch some good football"
I just want wins and points. If I want to watch good football I'll watch it on TV. Perhaps you should do the same.