The right direction....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

The right direction....

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I would agree that things are looking better if it were not for GI's past record. GI are property developers , property developers make their money by convincing people (councils) that they need something they don't really need.
Torquay United don't need s new stadium. Yes, they need alternative revenues streams, but this does not necessarily mean a new stadium.
Come on, you obviously work for GI, who are you?
Last edited by Plainmoor78 on 01 Jul 2017, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

I agree. A lot of fans were rightly concerned, but GI's actions in this pre-season should be giving hope.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

NO ! not if the ulterior motive is to asset strip the club. Monkeyboy: 'beware of greeks bearing gifts'.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

threelittlepiglets wrote: 01 Jul 2017, 17:02 Even IF GI are in this for the freehold, or any other property rights (which they have already admitted anyway).

Is it not a positive that they have spent many thousands notably on:

Last season (end of season) running costs.
Initial player budgets for upcoming season.
Internal Staff.
New pitch surface which the groundsman has to his own admission said was down to having the funds to do the additional work.
Positive links being created with different local businesses.
New branding and website.

For all the wrongs and admittedly evidence that condemns GI, is it not a good thing that all this is happening and being bank rolled. I have extensively researched the Swindon project and they did not invest so heavily in the football side pre-project commencement. it seems a shambles though.

Lets hope that this is a sign of a positive GI ownership, a bit of stability and longevity after those idiots Dean Edwards, [highlight=yellow]Steve Breed [/highlight]and Co.

I will no doubt get shot down by the usual names, but go ahead.

I am convinced that what we need is a little more positive against the tirade of constant negative.

Before you say it.... no my 'eye is not off the ball' so to speak.

Looking very much forward to seeing how the 'new' team works out on pitch!!
completely disagree with you regarding Steve Breed. Just shows how much you (don't) know pal.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

threelittlepiglets wrote: 01 Jul 2017, 18:21 Lets not start on the 'Steve Breed' issue, the guy is a farce of a human.... and just perhaps consider I know more than you think!!!! Sorry, also not your PAL!!!
feelings mutual.
and don't talk wet.
Last edited by SuperNickyWroe on 01 Jul 2017, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

Now now boys! Play nicely. I have to agree that there is cause for GUARDED optimism on the forthcoming season. I'm less inclined to say nasty things about Steve Breed though. His radio commentaries may have made him sound like a village idiot and he would be the first to admit to mistakes whilst performing the role of CEO. What can NEVER be questioned are his passion and desire to see the club succeed and his total commitment to the cause whilst he was in post.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

Well I have to say three little piglets has a point here, and I have also been accused of working for GI and the herald Express, and as I have said before I didn't see anyone else lined up to take over the club, most of them dropped out of the running, dean Edwards and steve breed were clueless. and yes most things that are said on here are negative,
maybe just maybe things will start to happen under GI, as there was precious little before.
so shoot me down as well if you like, 52 seasons a supporter of TUFC .
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

Fair enough. Oh, and if you DO work for GI could you sort out the website? It's down again. Thanks!
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

I have to agree that since post season things seem to have gone well and no one can fault the investment in the squad so far.

I like many others remain dubious but I also won't be so blinded by pre conceived concerns that I won't give praise where it's due.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

threelittlepiglets wrote: 01 Jul 2017, 18:20 Exactly what has happened so far in the way of striping the club down? please elaborate as I only see investment?..... and before you launch a tirade of abuse... I am equally concerned and campaigning for GI to be more transparent!!!
Firstly, I have not and do not intend to throw any abuse at you! we each have an opinion.

Your initial posts opening gambit was " GI are in this for the freehold, or any other property rights (which they have already admitted anyway " Both you and I can agree upon this and in an ironic way you have answered your own question.

In terms of asset stripping this is a process and everyone knows the main asset is Plainmoor's freehold. GI's investment which is welcomed is, however, in my eyes not about the future of the club but more of a means of moving the business on by way of sale should they be denied the freehold of Plainmoor. Is there merit in Gi's proposals for a new stadium? maybe! but I am with Torbay's Member of Parliament on this one:- "sceptical a solid business plan for such a move can be put together".
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

if we get a new stadium which I think is needed is this day and age to make the club financially viable then I don't a problem, yes they need to build it before we move, but if we need to stay afloat as a football club we need income from other sources to survive and plainmoor hasn't got the scope. most clubs that move do much better after and attendances go up, look at shrewsbury, Doncaster, Northampton. these clubs were no bigger than us , they move and their gates improve.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

That simple eh Zitty. !
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Zippy - They come through the back door and steal the club on a £120,000 loan and now you expect them to fork out over £10 million for a new stadium and build it before we move - WOW! there is optimism for you.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

MellowYellow wrote: 01 Jul 2017, 19:27In terms of asset stripping this is a process and everyone knows the main asset is Plainmoor's freehold. GI's investment which is welcomed is, however, in my eyes not about the future of the club but more of a means of moving the business on by way of sale should they be denied the freehold of Plainmoor.
Let's get this straight right here; the freehold is not an asset of the business, it is an asset of the community and the owner of the business wants to acquire it. Nobody is forced to sell it and if it is put up for sale the business owner does not have any guarantees that it will be him who is successful in bidding for it anyway.

The key to the matter is the decision of the Mayor and at the moment he has stated his unwillingness to consider such a transaction.

In the meantime the owner has no choice but to adequately capitalise the business or he will have a dead duck on his hands; as a tenant on that freehold with no guarantees he can acquire it.

So we have a business owner with the wherewithal and good sense to capitalise so that the football operation can be competitive and the more he can achieve on that front the bigger his plan B can grow which would be to eschew the long term game of development and pursue a sale of the business as a capital venture procuring either a return on his investment or even a reasonable profit; but he can't achieve either if the football operation goes down the toilet!

Do not lose sight of the FACT that in the only complete financial year of the previous ownership, the club was still losing a thousand pounds a day despite the utmost austerity in the wake of their predecessors losing two thousand pounds a day!

So as supporters we can enjoy the short term but need to be mindful of the long term aim which will surely be more remunerative for Clarke Osborne if he has a successful football club within his portfolio. It's certainly looking like the football side of things is being taken seriously, the public relations side too; and now we need to see the commercial aspect growing too as that will provide the revenue streams that are so important if the income through the gate and season tickets is to be augmented.

Much hard work needs to be done both within the community and on the football development side of the club; the football infrastructure needs growing and the trust of the footballing public and local community needs to be won over.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 01 Jul 2017, 20:39 [ ---
Much hard work needs to be done both within the community --- and local community needs to be won over.
You mean like the Club’s new owner cancelling the arranged meeting with Torbay's Member for Parliament who wished to keep the community up to date with proceedings Does not sound like he is working that hard to win over the footballing public or the community for that matter.