The right direction....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

I think it is right that we keep a critical view on how GI run the club. This is a healthy approach for any football club.

However they equally deserve credit for any good decisions they make.

The new badge, kit manufacturer, and encouraging signings are all reasons to be cheerful. Let's hope they continue to raise expectations.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I agree Devon Yellow - and I have actually given GI credit for a number of decisions made that are good for the club e.g. Pitch work.

I fully expect even more short term projects that benefits the club - so happy days. But, at the same time, I do not lose sight on the reasons for these decisions. As Merse says - "the owner has no choice but to adequately capitalise the business or he will have a dead duck on his hands" and cannot achieve either a profit or return on investment "if the football operation goes down the toilet!".
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

I completely get where you are coming from and I absolutely think we need to remain ultra vigilant of their stewardship or our club, BUT if we write off every sound decision or positive move as shit-because-it's-GI then we will never enjoy anything that happens whilst they're here. That's a very depressing proposition for me.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

threelittlepiglets wrote: 01 Jul 2017, 18:21 Lets not start on the 'Steve Breed' issue, the guy is a farce of a human.... and just perhaps consider I know more than you think!!!! Sorry, also not your PAL!!!
I have no wish to get involved in some petty argument. I will however tell you something straight down the line, anyone who describes Steve Breed as a farce of a human being knows absolutely jack shit.

Whilst Steve is quite capable of defending himself, I know him as many do. I found him to be an extremely honest, heartfelt, genuine and caring human beings I've ever met, and anyone could hope to meet.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Ray Johnstone
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Halstead

Post by Ray Johnstone »

No need to get into such personal arguments. We have had the same problem on the Barrow blog ever since John Little stepped down from his post as moderator in May.

Ray
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Ray Johnstone wrote: 02 Jul 2017, 01:09 No need to get into such personal arguments. We have had the same problem on the Barrow blog ever since John Little stepped down from his post as moderator in May.

Ray
If that's the case Why don't you take over the barrow blog, and stop making random comments on what is a Torquay United forum. No offence intended. Your like a parasite
Lucy
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I think GI asset stripping the club needs to be looked at with another eye. They haven't just Yet but what Happened when Harrop was told to approach Nicho and ask him to take a cut in his severance pay if he was sacked so they could give him more money to sign two players. That in my book was disgraceful and we need to keep that in mind. the very fact that Nicho was able to use it against them made them look again and their strategy so I would never take my off the ball where they are regarded. their record so far is not that good. so they redid the badge hmm big deal. ok it might look better to some but its hardly groundbreaking. The optimism over signings is more down to Nicho. I know that so far its been indicated that a little bit more money has been given to the playing budget but will it last for the season and has Nicho had to play a bit of a gamble that we will be higher up the league and hopefully we will have bigger crowds. that's down to Nichos experiences so far. he has learnt more and if we are higher up the league it will be largely down to him and not the board. lets keep it all in perspective for the moment and not get carried away.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Back to topic, as our Ray don't like going off topic. Brave statement from 3 pigs as he/she knew it was going to lead to controversial replies. Yes, I agree the optimism for this season is looking good. But equally, we have to remain cautious. Why you had to have a stab on breed was an error, which highlights who you are or why you have a grudge on him.
Lucy
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

lucy6lucy wrote: 02 Jul 2017, 02:32 Why you had to have a stab on breed was an error, which highlights who you are or why you have a grudge on him.
This is a pertinent point......is there or has here ever been any documentary evidence that Steve Breed was 'bad' fro Torquay United? Not to my knowledge there hasn't; so why the 'idiot' calling and the description of him as 'a farce of a human'? That's pretty strong stuff that would earn you a punch in the mouth if uttered face to face to most people.

I think it is indeed an 'error', and indicative of having a grudge on him. Other people who have brought criticism on themselves have done so through their very public actions ~ Clarke Osborne, Dave Phillips, Merv Balson, Bernard Noble, Dave Thomas.......the list could go on and on and there is certainly a veritable number of hornets to come out of that collective nest.

I expect threelittlepipglets to come back and quantify just why he has made those character assassinating statements.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Glostergull wrote: 02 Jul 2017, 02:26 I would never take my off the ball where they are regarded....... lets keep it all in perspective for the moment and not get carried away.
I agree; NEVER take your eye off the ball with this lot!

I'm pretty sure that GI have effectively decided that this season will be about creating a stable environment at Torquay United and within the borough with no future plans being presented for development until 2018/19.........I would even go so far as to bet my bottom dollar on that. I say that because they have no choice than to be in this for the 'long game' now, and that means (as I said yesterday) properly capitalising the business which means adequately resourcing the management to produce the goods.

Having said that, I would also say that with having the ball put very firmly in his lap; the onus is now on the manager to produce from the off and not present the owners with the sort of shambles he presided over at the starts of the last two seasons. It could even be in the first six to twelve games that Nicholson is held to account for his 'persuasive powers' if the season doesn't kick-off in the manner expected after being given the tools to do the job.

So I agree with Andrew here; and say that what they do over the coming months will clearly reflect on them and their motives.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

threelittlepiglets wrote: 01 Jul 2017, 18:21

Lets not start on the 'Steve Breed' issue, the guy is a farce of a human.... and just perhaps consider I know more than you think!!!! Sorry, also not your PAL!!!
Now let me make one thing very clear to you. If you ever repeat this kind of character assassination of one of the most honest and genuine people I've ever met I will take great personal pleasure in banning you myself from this forum, something we never do without prior consultation amongst all Admins. I will then leave them to sit in judgement of my actions. If you'd like to introduce yourself to me at any point I'll explain in my own unique way why it is actually you that is a "farce of a human being"

I'm like Merse in that I'll argue a point with anyone, I'll attack club officials with no remorse for their ineptitude while running our club but the one person to remain with his reputation intact is Steve Breed. There's a very good reason why he was forced out of the club, he would have moved heaven and earth to keep GI from getting their hands on the club and THEY knew it.

We all make mistakes, me more than most, the test is learning from them. I hope you learn from this one.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Well said Dave. :-D :goodpost:
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

the onus is now on the manager to produce from the off and not present the owners with the sort of shambles he presided over at the starts of the last two seasons. It could even be in the first six to twelve games that Nicholson is held to account for his 'persuasive powers' if the season doesn't kick-off in the manner expected after being given the tools to do the job.
Nico only presided over the start of last season. And in any case he's moved on the player/s who most let him down during those early months of last season ;-)

Clarke Osborne won't ingratiate himself with the locals if he pulls the trigger too soon on a terrace hero such as Nico. The Sustainable Success philosophy doesn't necessarily show instant results, and hopefully the General manager will have told the Owner that a football season is a marathon and not a sprint.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Southampton Gull wrote: 02 Jul 2017, 10:06 Now let me make one thing very clear to you. If you ever repeat this kind of character assassination of one of the most honest and genuine people I've ever met I will take great personal pleasure in banning you myself from this forum, something we never do without prior consultation amongst all Admins. I will then leave them to sit in judgement of my actions. If you'd like to introduce yourself to me at any point I'll explain in my own unique way why it is actually you that is a "farce of a human being"

I'm like Merse in that I'll argue a point with anyone, I'll attack club officials with no remorse for their ineptitude while running our club but the one person to remain with his reputation intact is Steve Breed. There's a very good reason why he was forced out of the club, he would have moved heaven and earth to keep GI from getting their hands on the club and THEY knew it.

We all make mistakes, me more than most, the test is learning from them. I hope you learn from this one.
Gets my vote.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Ray Johnstone
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Halstead

Post by Ray Johnstone »

I still use the Barrow blog, despite it becoming somewhat like the wild West since the departure of John from the moderating team. I must say, Lucy, that my e-mails have always stayed on topic and my contributions have been insightful and fair. To say I am like a parasite is rude and a very weak comparison. Have some respect.

Ray