The right direction....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 02 Jul 2017, 20:46 Hmmn...I knew I shouldn't have thrown this in :|
Sorry couldn't resist.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its about time. The forum has livened up with a few personal insults being banded about. All quite amusing in my book.

I don't know Steve Breed really but he seems an amenable sort of bloke. Travel club organiser, BBC commentator, to Chief Executive before getting the push to ply extensive football knowledge as a manager in the South Devon League. Not bad for a bloke who couldn't string two written words together. This could only happen at Torquay United - by the way didn't he apply for the vacant managers job at Torquay as well?

My guess he is a bit of a "Walter Mitty" character perhaps. Whatever the whys and wherefores he was part of a farcical regime at Plainmoor so its probably good that along with the rest of the crew he isn't here anymore.

That said I know he was passionate and despite taking the mickey out of him I really enjoyed his commentaries but as part of the clubs structure - not for me thanks.

Give me Harrop and Osborne any day of the way. Cautiously I think we ARE going the right way. Now lets make sure we don't sign anymore rejects from tinpot mickey mouse club Eastleigh. We don't need to stoop that low. :O
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Alpine Joe wrote: 02 Jul 2017, 11:37 Nico only presided over the start of last season. And in any case he's moved on the player/s who most let him down during those early months of last season
You're right; I should have stated the start of his last two seasons........remember the farce of him cup tying himself and the immediate disgrace at Basingstoke. He didn't exactly cover himself in glory then and he didn't cover himself in glory retaining so many of those failures from his first season either.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Dave is a member and is free to post his views as much as you or I can and that's what people love about this site.

You didn't offend a moderator you are belittling a fan of our club who has done more for TUFC than many have. We have freedom of speech but we also have respect for those that deserve it.

I hope your house is made of bricks. :lol:
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Will does this on all the forums and is well known for it, not much else mind.
If he had the same sense of realism as his brother he wouldn't feel the need to criticise those that run the forums as if it's his career path ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 03 Jul 2017, 06:44 Will does this on all the forums and is well known for it, not much else mind.
If he had the same sense of realism as his brother he wouldn't feel the need to criticise those that run the forums as if it's his career path ;-)

Thanks for your response, that's of course inaccurate as you know (one egg doesn't make an omelette) but it suits your argument to undemine me for disagreeing with you.

I reiterate I don't agree with piggs points but feel your response was nuclear (that's all, nothing more), again illustrated by your need to 'out me' and try claim I'm well known for it causing trouble. I've had one fall out with one administrator on one fellow site, which I had good reason for but won't discuss this here as feel something's are best left alone.... perhaps the control has gone to your head!

I'm greatful for your and your fellow administrators work in running the forum and understand it's a thankless task at times but I feel you are not above debate (if you were then you wouldn't really be able to give you opinions). Your response to my opinion says all I need to know and only firms up my views.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Happy to be of assistance, Will. As alluded to previously, I'm prepared to stand by my judgement and despite you escalating the threat level to nuclear it really isn't. It's a personal response for which I'm quite prepared to follow through and suffer the consequences. Quite the opposite of letting power go to my head, I'd say it was showing empathy to the right person.

Glad to have confirmed your view and apologies for 'outing' you, totally accidental as I always knew who you were and to me you'll always be known by your first name exactly like your brother. I'm a first name kind of guy :)
Dave

View1
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by View1 »

I have no issue with people knowing who I am, I have nothing to hide.... but surely thats my decision not yours!

For what its worth I has to pick a new username as I couldn't remember password etc and View seemed appropriate as thats my company name (contrary to your view that my 'job' is to target administrations on websites).... something that I would guess wouldn't pay too well!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

You're absolutely correct it is your decision but was I assure you, an innocent mistake which if you would like me to remedy I can do so immediately.
Glad to hear you're not destitute as again you would be correct that your second career isn't that well paid ;-)
Dave

View1
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by View1 »

No problem, let's move on. I can assure you I'm not here to cause trouble!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Paul Cox commenting that it is more competitive in the transfer market this summer, with a few of the promoted clubs (Flyde and Ebbsfleet in particular) spending big and other teams upping their spending in the hope of reaching the newly expanded play-off positions.

Anyone on here know anything about Barrow FC?

We've had a good summer on paper, but it does look like being a tougher division next season, as you won't have one of the L2 sides at the bottom now that Orient have some cash again, nor will at least two of the promoted sides we anywhere near the bottom.

The knock-on effect for us is that we have less of a safety margin if we under perform again. If there are no basket cases, and fewer minnows then the sides at the bottom of the table will be higher quality than last season and we also have to step up.

Last season we were quite safely in mid-table at the turn of the year, following which Blissett was sold and never replaced. We started to slip further and further down, lost a lot of confidence in the Sutton and Guiseley debacles, and when players like Fitzpatrick and Hodgkiss left, they were also not replaced. We ended the season with no target man, no right back and very little competition in the squad. For all the talk of GI, they didn't do what every previous TUFC owner has done, even those loathed to part with cash like Mike Bateson or those who needed to raise it from the fan's Player Fund recently, and do everything it takes to keep the club in the league. But for winning the last 3 games of the season, we would be in a regional league right now, that's how close we came - and it should have been prevented a lot earlier by stopping the slide in January-March time.

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/sport/barrow-a ... 650d18c-ds
Cox: Barrow AFC facing increased competition in transfer market

BARROW AFC are facing increased competition as they go in pursuit of new signings for next season.

Manager Paul Cox has warned it is proving more difficult than ever to bring in recruits as their National League rivals up their spending ahead of next season.

The Bluebirds have made five signings so far this close-season – with more to follow this week – bringing in Jordan White, Bradley Bauress, Dan Jones, Asa Hall and Bedsente Gomis.

But other moves – for the likes of former Gateshead central defender Manny Smith and ex-Grimsby centre-back Shaun Pearson – have failed to come off as their rivals have come in to snatch them away.

We have lost out on some excellent players, and there are players we have released who people have taken on and are paying them absolute fortunes

In the cases of Smith and Pearson, both were snapped up by a Wrexham side who have gone on an early-summer transfer spree, which has also seen them land Forest Green Rovers midfielders Sam Wedgbury and Marcus Kelly and former Barrow winger Jack Mackreth among others.

Chester too – who have signed Paul Turnbull and Ross Hannah from the Bluebirds – have been recruiting heavily, while league newcomers such as AFC Fylde, Maidenhead United and Ebbsfleet United all have money to spend.

That has made for a tough recruitment market for Cox and his team.

“We have been very unlucky with some of the signings we have tried to make,” said Cox.

“This year, everybody seems to be pushing the boat out. I don't know if it's because there are the extra play-off places, but we have lost out on some excellent players, and there are players we have released who people have taken on and are paying them absolute fortunes.

“That's something we have had to contest with, and something we have an understanding of.

“It's not just the North West sides, some of the clubs down south are really flexing their financial muscle.”

Cox believes the increased will make for an ultra-competitive National League when the action kicks off on August 5, with teams vying to be in among the six who will make the play-off under the new structure.

The Barrow manager finds it hard to pick out sides who will be battling at the other end of the table, and said: “It all makes for what I would say is the most competitive league – probably the hardest in a number of years.

“I was asking people to name clubs who they think might get relegated from this league, and you would be really be hard pushed to name a side you think are going to get relegated.

“Maidenhead have (manager) Alan Devonshire and will probably have money to spend, Ebbsfleet have come up and will probably have one of the biggest wage bills in our league.

“Then you look at clubs like Wrexham, who probably weren't competitive last year, and who have made good signings, Chester have made good signings. It adds to what I think is going to be a very spicy league this year.”
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Ray Johnstone
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Halstead

Post by Ray Johnstone »

I follow Barrow AFC, Gulliball. What would you like to know about the club? I am happy to help if I can.

Ray
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

You tease Chris..... :}

Bit of long winded one though man. :lol:
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Cox said "you would be really be hard pushed to name a side you think are going to get relegated.

I agree, although I would have thought Guiseley have to be a club that struggles this season. After that it could any one of 10 teams which could well include us and Barrow. It will be interesting to see how Dover do this season as they seemed to have lost a lot of players that did so well for them last season.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Gulliball wrote: 03 Jul 2017, 23:26........you won't have one of the L2 sides at the bottom now that Orient have some cash again, nor will at least two of the promoted sides we anywhere near the bottom.
Orient could only offer Hampton & Richmond the opposition of their youth team for a planned pre-season friendly at the Beveree on Saturday July 22nd and so Hampton have cancelled it and have arranged to play Brentford's u23s instead.

There is still much work to do at Brisbane Road and they haven't even got a manager yet.

Ironically, Orient have picked up another psf for the following week when they have 'promised to take a side' to Isthmian League big spenders (wage bill c £30,000 pw) Billericay Town who are describing them as 'National League powerhouses' no less.

Town have cancelled their pre-season friendly with Concord Rangers planned for that day after they claimed their owner Glenn Tamplin had been criticised on social media by Beach Boys chairman Antony Smith. 'Billy Town' claimed ‘personal and negative comments’ directed at Tamplin on Twitter meant they had ‘no choice’ but to call off the match.

Director of Football Martin Ling
ponding the impossible of fielding a side at present