TRIALISTS

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

TRIALISTS

Post by aggrey_25 »

Any news on who the trialists are this pre season? Reid isn't the answer for a front man, his goal scoring record proves that, we need a target man who scores goals.
Rossi Martin
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Rossi Martin »

Tim sills, Steve Woods, Kevin Hill, Simon Rayner, Martin Rice. Also heard a rumour of Timmy Cahil as well
Milner33
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruairi Keating

Post by Milner33 »

I know that Neal Osborn is returning, after being released from Southampton
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Milner33 wrote: 30 Jun 2017, 17:15 I know that Neal Osborn is returning, after being released from Southampton
He is training with us but so are 3 other young keepers. Don't think he has been offered anything yet?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Contracted to Exeter for another year, I am expecting Reid to return to us on loan as it will be cost effective for us and Exeter will make a saving on some of his wages. I don't see him as the answer to the missing front man but he would be a very useful addition. Most I think would admit he gives his all to the cause and you never know if our formation is to change it may suit his style of play.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Reid is a good option as a cheap loan - he works hard and is a decent squad player at this level

Would not object to us signing Osborn or another young keeper as back-up, someone who can learn from Clarke and be on the bench in case of emergencies, with option to loan in another keeper should Clarke get a long term lay off.
KeithMalone
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by KeithMalone »

Seems Reid on a 6 month loan deal is done according to Twitter
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

MellowYellow wrote: 30 Jun 2017, 18:09 Contracted to Exeter for another year, I am expecting Reid to return to us on loan as it will be cost effective for us and Exeter will make a saving on some of his wages. I don't see him as the answer to the missing front man but he would be a very useful addition. Most I think would admit he gives his all to the cause and you never know if our formation is to change it may suit his style of play.
I agree. The criticism from some about Reid is a tad harsh. Yes, he is not the answer to our attacking option. But he has pace and energy, so a very useful bench warmer at the very least that could influence the game. Last season he had no competition for places, so if he played poorly it didn't matter as he would start next game. This season will be different, so that competition will hopefully bring more out of him. Incidentally what contract did Exeter offer him, he seems to have been on loan for years.
Lucy
KeithMalone
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by KeithMalone »

Neal Osborn has been offered something, confirmed on Twitter
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

lucy6lucy wrote: 30 Jun 2017, 20:10 I agree. The criticism from some about Reid is a tad harsh. Yes, he is not the answer to our attacking option. But he has pace and energy, so a very useful bench warmer at the very least that could influence the game. Last season he had no competition for places, so if he played poorly it didn't matter as he would start next game. This season will be different, so that competition will hopefully bring more out of him. Incidentally what contract did Exeter offer him, he seems to have been on loan for years.
Appears I was right on Jamie Reid returning. He was contracted to Exeter in 2012/13 so he may have a 5 year contract but I would not thought on a huge salary. I expect Exeter were expecting greater things from him to have been contracted for so long. I am glad we have got him back again I still see him as a asset and maybe this season he can show what he is really capable of by putting the ball in the back of the net - then we will all be whistling a different tune! Plus young Osborne returning to the fold as understudy to Clarke is making the forthcoming season more interesting by the day. I'm saying this quietly under my breathe 'thank you GI' even though I still don't trust you!
Ray Johnstone
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Halstead

Post by Ray Johnstone »

Barrow AFC released Lindon Miekle at the end of last season. He is a proven player at this level and will be looking to stay in this league. I would be surprised if he had not made contact about a trial.

Ray
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Ray Johnstone wrote: 01 Jul 2017, 00:39 Barrow AFC released Lindon Miekle at the end of last season. He is a proven player at this level and will be looking to stay in this league. I would be surprised if he had not made contact about a trial.

Ray
keep up with the times Ray - he signed for Alfreton Town last week, so he was not looking to stay in this league.
Ray Johnstone
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Ray Johnstone »

A good signing for the Derbyshire team. I spoke to Lindon at Barrow's end of season dinner. A level headed gentleman with a desire to succeed.

Ray
Ray Johnstone
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Ray Johnstone »

I watched Lindon play 9 times last season. He is still a solid player and he would do well for Torquay. Please have some sense of perspective.

Ray
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

I watched Lindon for two full seasons whilst he was at York. He's a great lad, nippy and quick but his end product in terms of crossing is next to nothing and he didn't score goals either. He would always cut inside and lay it off instead of shooting and never beat the man and get crosses in. During his second year he was frozen out and didn't get a much of a look in which was completely understandable because he was totally unproductive and not good enough for league football. Take it from someone who has seen him many many times in the flesh.

Alfreton at NLN is his level and he'll do just about enough there but any higher and his inclusion in the team cannot be justified unless he simply learned to use his obvious pace and trickery to get past men and shoot or get past men and cross. I'm not sure if it was a lack of confidence that made him take the easy option of laying the ball off all the time but it's just a shame as he's like lightning.

Reminds me of Niall Thompson a bit. Tricky, quick as a flash but offers nothing but simply a presence on the pitch by and large. A player who hasn't taken full advantage of his obvious strengths.

Ray might be better placed though to inform us given he has seen Lindon more recently than i have but i'm just going on what i saw from him about 2 or 3 years back.