TRIALISTS

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Plymouth Gull wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 08:17 Re Fondop, I wonder whether it's an attitude thing..it was daft that he squared up to a Newton Spurs player for not a lot, and in a game like that. That temperament would be a risk in games that actually matter!
Are we back to 'Mister Nicey' not liking abrasive characters then? Got no chance in this league with management like that.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

MellowYellow wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 00:38 Cardiff's development players are coached to a very high standard, playing ball to feet with good first touch and to work as a unit. To explain what I mean, I attach a link showing 40 passes for a well taken goal (although he is not the goal scorer).
Compare that to how Nicholson's team kicks off; more often than not with McGinty hoofing for touch as if he is some rugby player!
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

I think it's a bit harsh to criticise Nicholson for fielding trialist sides in our first couple of games, it's a necessary evil, and I couldn't give a shit whether we lost 10 | 0 if it meant that we unearthed a decent signing. Despite some dross there were a couple of guys in there worth considering, and by the look of the chat Nicho and Herrera were having they were indeed considering them. It would have been nice to see some of our signings come off of the bench, but it was described on the website as a trial game, and the fans who went out there knew that. I didn't speak to anyone at the game who seemed annoyed about this.

Regarding Mike Fondop, Nicho has every right to judge him by his attitude, as well as his play. People saying that he's criticising this based solely on him squaring up to a Newton Spurs player have a one dimensional view. He trained with us all last week, and so Nicho had far more than this one event to consider. His attitude does actually sound poor, just googling his name brings up

http://bit.ly/2tvb2mV

http://bit.ly/2uXKsAD

There's no point being overly happy clappy, but think considering some of the promising signings we've made, labeling Nicho as a disgrace is a bit harsh. Maybe he shouldn't have brought on the kit man, but I'm sure he'd already made up his mind by that point.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

brooker wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 09:52 Regarding Mike Fondop, Nicho has every right to judge him by his attitude, as well as his play. People saying that he's criticising this based solely on him squaring up to a Newton Spurs player have a one dimensional view. He trained with us all last week, and so Nicho had far more than this one event to consider. His attitude does actually sound poor, just googling his name brings up

The Margate manager of the time ~ Nikki Bull ~ revealed that it was his close friend, and football agent David Lee who first recommended the then 22-year-old to him and in actual fact his signing was announced for Margate on May 9th.

Now Bull is the guy who double crossed Torquay United some years back by agreeing to sign as a means of extracting more money from his club Aldershot; got that reaction and so renaged on Paul Buckle, re-signed for Aldershot ending claims that he had claimed he was going to retire rather than play for then for the money offered.

Lee had a playing career with Southend and Aldershot which ended in excrutiating pain when he badly broke an ankle at Canvey Island playing for the Shots. He went to work for Platinum Sports Management owned by former Orient striker and Barnet assistant manager Tommy Cunningham who know part owns Harlow Town FC. Not as an 'agent' per se; but 'working for an agent' as many so called agents do.

Talking to players, watching matches and then to managers is the role he fulfils just as Martin Ling did for Platinum when he was in recovery from his spell in re-hab after leaving Torquay.

These are the people constantly taking up phone time of people like Kevin Nicholson who now has Geoff Harrop and Dave Hedges to share the workload whereas before he only had Robbie Herrera. It's a time consuming and wearing process that leaves people like Nicholson only too pleased to be able to get out on the training ground with their players.

Don't be surprised that a player has looked after his own interests before those of his club and team mates. It's not peculiar to Fondop and it's not by any means that reprehensible when you consider how often clubs and their managers withdraw offers made to players because they have suddenly found something/someone better. But the words of then Billericay manager Craig Edwards are worth remembering because there is a guy who is of the old school and now manages poverty stricken and homeless Kingstonian after refusing to compromise his standards at Billericay when millionaire owner Glenn Tamplin walked in and immediately wanted to play 'Football Manager', being heavy handed in player recruitment and wanting to stand shoulder to shoulder with his manager on the touchline.

Fondop's story at Billericay is just indicative of the ways of football in 2017 and this summer he's been at it again with his last club Oxford City leaving manager Mark Jones up in the air not knowing whether or not he was re-signing or not.......in the event, 'hard man' Jones ~ who I know from being my son's former lead coach at Watford ~ made the decision for him. He's not!
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

arcadia wrote: 08 Jul 2017, 18:56 Yes 7,10 and 17 looked o.k. but when supporters pay money to watch a competitive match to watch their club you expect a professional approach nobody minds losing but not like that. :@ As the club will become a laughing stock.
i dont get your anger about the teams that have played against newton spurs and stoke Gabriel, it was established a while ago it would be trialists.

moaning again, like you did after going to the newton spurs game, do a bit of research!
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

threelittlepiglets wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 13:05 Yes, but bringing the lardy kit man on takes the piss!! At least it was a football match until he came on... Now do you 'GET' the anger?
no,

it was a trialist game and as someone else said above i couldn't give a toss about the result,

its certainly not worth getting angry about
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 12:24 i dont get your anger about the teams that have played against newton spurs and stoke Gabriel, it was established a while ago it would be trialists.

moaning again, like you did after going to the newton spurs game, do a bit of research!

You were obviously not at the game I went to Newton Abbott Spurs game knowing we were playing trialists and after watching I decided to leave after 70 minutes only because I could see that it was a waste of time for me as I could see that there was a couple of players that might be good enough but they needed to play with better players to get a good perspective on this.

Yes I went to Stoke Gabriel and yes I knew it would be a team of trialists but I like any supporter wanted to see if any would be worthy of a contract at Torquay.
When the substitutions were made and the kit man came on and it made the game a farce. I have had experience of trials at this level and could see that it was not being treated seriously enough by the club.
In the Independent Nicho did not point out he put on the kit man who stood out for the wrong reasons.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

I think one aspect that shouldn't be forgotten is that we surely owe it to teams like Stoke Gabriel to give them a proper test (which to be fair we did for the first hour or so) - the result was 5-2 to them in the end, but we shouldn't forget that Stoke had two goals ruled out for marginal offsides and young Seedhouse-Evans pulled off a wonder save towards the end as well, to keep the score down, they could quite easily have put 7 or 8 past us in the end! Whereas at the other end, the only real time Scott Corderoy was called into action was to pick the ball out of the back of the net a couple of times and generally sweep up at the act - the ball seemed to spend a lot more time at his feet than it ever did in his hands!

I think it's important that TUFC build some bridges within local football circles as I'm not sure our reputation with some is as good as it might be. You would like to think that by filling the coffers with what were good turnouts from the yellow army at both Newton Abbot and Stoke Gabriel will have helped in that matter, I just hope that they (Stoke) won't feel a little insulted by what we put up as a "defence" in the last half an hour or so though - which quite frankly would probably not get a game much above division three or four of the South Devon League!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

My local team played Stoke Gabriel in the Devon Cup last season I think. They won about 5-1 or something. Big, solid team but nothing at all special. For Nicholson to suggest that they are a better team than Newton Abbot as some sort of "excuse" for losing is a bit of a joke. They may have been a team of triallists - but that's not an excuse for getting hammered by Stoke Gabriel which is quite frankly a farce.

Everyone knows that it is a completely meaningless friendly I accept that. But I totally agree that bringing on a total donkey does show contempt for the fans.

The club has been a laughing stock for quite a while now but the goings on in this friendly are nothing short of pathetic.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

I guess the real questions or equally answers start on Wednesday.
Lucy
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

brucie wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 16:28 My local team played Stoke Gabriel in the Devon Cup last season I think. They won about 5-1 or something. Big, solid team but nothing at all special. For Nicholson to suggest that they are a better team than Newton Abbot as some sort of "excuse" for losing is a bit of a joke.
Both Stoke Gabriel and Newton Abbot Spurs were Peninsula league division 1 East teams last season, Stoke winning the league a mere 6 points ahead of Newton Spurs, the difference was Stoke won 22 games, Newton Spurs 19 games won. Stoke Gabriel may have a slightly more strength in depth, but your right, Stoke Gabriel was not really that much of a step/level up from Newton Spurs.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I chose not to go, to either game, had more than a feeling, these weren't even trial games, they were in many ways pre-trial games, giving any player who 'really' stood out in training and the match's a chance to earn, an extended stay with the club, and a chance to prove themselves against better opposition.

It has to be understood the level that Newton Spurs and Stoke Gabriel play at, even though Stoke were granted promotion. There is very little if no difference between the Peninsula league 1 East/West and the South Devon premier/ div 1, many swap between these levels, some drop down to win trophies or because they're fed up with the travel, and there are some very good young players in the SDL top two divisions just needing or waiting for a chance to step up. So what could Nicho learn about any trial players, in terms of them having all the qualities to cope with the riggers of NLP football week in and out, very little I'd suggest.

Chris CP gull has it spot on, there use to be very strong links between our clubs and local football, TUFC does have a very poor reputation these days around local football clubs, and the fact that some players at that level even celebrated TUFC's fall from grace says it all, many feel their local professional football club some what turn it's back on the local footballing community some years ago.

I'd like see the club invite clubs from this area during the course the season to play friendlies, giving some of older academy lads and few players short of pitch time a run out, a good way to start building those bridges.

One final point, if the gaffer thinks the kit man is worthy of his 5 minutes of fame in a TUFC shirt, really have no problem with that, but there is a time and a place for that, in a PSF amongst players trying to earn a contract, that's not the time or the place. Nicho's made a mistake here, however I would suggest it's not worth getting too angry about, a minor detail, hopefully Stoke were not too insulted though.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

To be honest this whole, well Stoke Gabriel are a step up from Newton Spurs is nothing more than a throw away comment, from a no doubt highly embarrassed manager, which comes under the minor details category, you'll probably find the lads down at Spurs were to busy laughing at the SG result to care what Nicho said. ;-)
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I really dont agree with posters getting their knickers in a twist about these two trial fixtures. The managers of the clubs talk to each other they all know whats going on. How are we disrespecting them?? They knew in advance what the game was about.
Your not going to see the same players against Bristol City on Wednesday.
I dont recall Tony Pullis and his WBA side getting grief last season for coming down and playing a bunch of trialists from the lower leagues and getting beaten.
If however after 6-10 league games Nico needs criticism i will be the first to give it but not over a couple of trial games.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

threelittlepiglets wrote: 10 Jul 2017, 10:03 First - I only wear knickers on a Friday and I don't normally get them in a twist!

Second - Did you not see the WBA forum in relation to their West Country tour?

Third - Did you not see that 5 of those players that represented West Brom did so for the most of the Premier League season.

'suggest getting your facts in line'

Finally - Read the post correctly also... not bothered about the nature of the fixtures, its about playing the kit man and Robbie Herrera. To those boys that were trialling at the club its a farce to bring on a fat bloke and a pensioner!! Enough said!!
I think your wearing them everyday and they are twisted =D

Of course i didnt read their forum , however the WBA fans that i spoke to that evening enjoyed the game and took it for what it was.

I didnt go to the 2 games, how much game time did Herrara and the kit man have??