TRIALISTS

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I m sure it wasn't ideal having either involved but it will be different on Wednesday evening
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Its also worth remembering that since we lost our league status and the reserve and youth teams were disbanded our pre season games have been very different regarding players. We use to field reserve and youth players in the earlier pre season games to gauge their progress and development, recently its very different and a sign of where we are as a club. I think it was 3 years ago Sam Chaney came on in the 2nd half in a pre season game against Totnes & Dartington
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I thought he showed some potential when i first saw him however for whatever reasons not known to me he hasn't fulfilled that or kicked on. I dont know whats going on with him.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Says the expert.................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I think you've been waiting for me to put my foot in it but I think Sam has the potential to become a good player but he's limited to the position he could hold down in the side. I think if Nicko plays with a player behind the striker Sam could fit in but in a wide position he can just do a job.
The club has struggled the last few seasons and it's difficult to play with a midfielder who is learning his job with more experienced players he may get a better chance this season.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Yes I agree Arcadia I think that may be the position that suits him best. However that requires a big front guy.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Dazza wrote: 10 Jul 2017, 21:21 Yes I agree Arcadia I think that may be the position that suits him best. However that requires a big front guy.
If you went to Forrest Green last season you could see him pulling the strings and the wingers were in the game. Nicho should be looking at this as an option when building his side.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

arcadia wrote: 10 Jul 2017, 21:28 If you went to Forrest Green last season you could see him pulling the strings and the wingers were in the game. Nicho should be looking at this as an option when building his side.
Not necessarily a 'big front guy' at all if the team is sufficiently technical enough. Remember how Spain did it to such good effect without one and when they did introduce one they began to mis-function.

If you want to get the best out of a player like Chaney then you need to maximise short passes, maintaining possession, and working the ball through various channels.......hardly a characteristic of Torquay United under Kevin Nicholson. Had Martin Ling been in charge then you have a different scenario.

Indeed, practised at it's best; Spanish football is played without a Delantero ~ Striker ~ as every player is more than capable of applying the finishing touch. All too technical for the Torquay United sides under Knill, Hargreaves, Cox and Nicholson we have seen over the past few years, yet practised with accomplishment at clubs like Wingate & Finchley and Dulwich Hamlet under more enlightened coaches.........if they can do it; so can Torquay United!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

It's just nice to talk football.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Something that annoys me is listening to dinosaurs like Dave Thomas talking shit on the podcasts as if the National League can only be won with a physical and size based set-up...........that's rubbish; as more than one side from so called lesser clubs than Torquay United have proved and wasn't Forest Green Rovers cultured approach last season a joy too!

Anyone who went to Boreham Wood last season would have seen Nicholson's apology of a team thoroughly out-manoeuvred and outplayed; his own and Herrera's lack of technical knowhow and tactical agility embarrassingly exposed. It was much the same at places like Maidstone, Bromley, Sutton and to an extent at Aldershot too ~ regardless of final score, Nicholson's team looked an anachronistic and old fashioned side.

The National League can be won by playing football and developing players into better ones when they leave to the ones they were when they arrived.........but you need the right management. I would suggest Aldershot under Gary Waddock and James Rowe to be a team to watch this season and Anthony Limbrick at Woking will produce both a good side and technically accomplished players too!
Last edited by merse btpir on 10 Jul 2017, 23:11, edited 2 times in total.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Chaney puts the effort in with very little to offer.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote: 10 Jul 2017, 23:05 Chaney puts the effort in with very little to offer.
Granted; but if he is utilised in the right way that maximises his strengths and minimises his weaknesses then you have a developing player.......what I saw last season was a stagnating player because he wasn't.

I used to see the same with Danny Stevens ~ who no way was a 'winger' but often consigned to play on the wing because of his lack of stature. Like Chaney; Stevens' forte was playing in the pockets whereas 'wingers' in the modern day need to be rangy and athletic specimens before you can even contemplate using them to utilise speed against a marking opponent.
S4fedr1ve
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Andy Donnelly

Post by S4fedr1ve »

Surely you have to adapt to the opposition and conditions. To be able to play football is great but some opposition and pitch conditions doesn't allow this. So a big target man is handy. I trust nico completely.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Under Nicholson we were even trying to get the ball forward too impatiently on 3G!
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I don't understand why it is said that we need a big strong striker. Many of the young u6 up to u13 players(if they are at a switched on club) are taught to play a passing game from the keeper, learning how to pass and move and create spaces. Opposition teams have to retreat to the halfway line in the young age groups upto u10(I think). This develops a players passing ability, movement etc etc.
So most of todays players have hopefully come through this kind of coaching so they are generally familiar with this. So why then is there a need to launch a ball at a lone striker?? We have seen it time and time again and it brings little reward.
Remember Karl Hawley, yes I know he cost us a fortune and wasn't great however look at how he was used. We use to launch the ball at him at 100mph at head or chest height, ineffective and what's he suppose to do. Rene Howe, exactly the same, Rene was obviously are better footballer but he played that lone role on many occasions, even at home which use to drive me mad.
Over the last few seasons we don't seem to have a game plan or any idea of how we should be playing. Players are lost and seem clueless to what to do or how to play. I think Sam Chaney is a good example of that. He has talent, but is he played in a role that is beneficial to him and the team??
From what I can see under Nico he likes to play very direct most of the time, so does that mean he doesn't think we can play out from the back?? Does he not trust our midfield to pass?? It doesn't seem like it.
Under Ling the first option was can Bobby O distribute the ball to feet to a full back or wide player safely and quickly. This was a directive from the coaching staff. It was very effective and we did extremely well from it.