TRIALISTS

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I've resurrected this thread from the depths as I wasn't sure where to post this thought without starting a new thread. FGR have cancelled the contract of one of their 'keepers and told three other players to look for other clubs. I find that very strange so close to the start of a new season. Anyway, one of the players told to go is striker Rhys Murphy - 25 year old, over 6ft. Not really a prolific scorer - he scored 7 in 16 games for FGR last season - but he did get 14 for Dagenham & Redbridge a couple of seasons ago. He's Irish so could team up well with Ruari Keating and has some pedigree at Youth level. Any thoughts, or yet another red herring ??
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Murphy's not Irish at all; he has an Irish grandfather and switched allegiance to the ROI as a cheap way to get international football.....

Why would that make him 'compatible' to Keating who has yet to prove he is up to standard anyway with not a single goal to his name in pre-season? I remember Murphy as an Arsenal academy player of no great note and on his release by the Gunners went to play in Holland; I think he's from the Brighton area and wasn't all that when he played for Dagenham.

The goalkeeper Simon Lefebvre is very poor and was at Bishops Stortford all of last season on loan.....he'll probably head back to France. Rob Sinclair is the scruffy looking 'erbert with a bushy beard.........we're overloaded in that department. Another Frenchman ~ Fabien Robert ~ I've never heard of.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Oh dear - another red herring. Back to the drawing board. Murphy - it's an Irish name ! I haven't been to any of the pre-season games so cannot comment on how young Keating has been playing. But he needs a strike partner and no - not Rory Fallon. This is the one area where I have major concerns - and i agree with a previous post, we don't need a 6ft 10ins target man.
P.S. Do you think it is strange that a club is releasing players so close to the start of the season ? Presumably, they are under contract at FGR. Can't say I've noticed this sort of thing before, except in disciplinary issues which don't seem to be the case here.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Maybe they' shown they just aren't good enough to step up to the plate and are going to create room within the budget to get better players in.

As we saw at Torquay; the beast that can get you out of the Conference is not necessarily the beast that will get you over a Football League finishing line and two of those FGR beasts weren't even good enough to get in the side last season.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Have always liked Rob Sinclair, full of energy, can pass well and actually moves. He has usually impressed
against us, maybe that hasnt been difficult in the last 2 or 3 years though
Would prefer him to some of our midfielders