National League - Betting Odds -Relegation?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

National League - Betting Odds -Relegation?

Post by MellowYellow »

If betting odds are anything to go by we are heading for another relegation battle next season.

We stand at 70/1 to win the league and 35/1 for promotion.

And stand at 15/8 to get relegated

Any takers?

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/en ... /promotion
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I think the reasons for the odds being such are:

1) we have still not assembled a full first time squad. If the remaining places are to be filled by trialists and loan signings then our squad is very threadbare. A number of our players have a history of injury problems and that could easily derail our season.

2) until the season actually gets underway there is no way to know whether the team will gel or not. Remember last season there were people on here praising the signing of Williams and look how that turned out.

3) given his form as manager I am not surprised that the bookies don't fancy Nicholson's chances.

We have made some good signings but whether the whole will be greater than the sum of the parts remains to be seen.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

A 'toxic' mix and the bookies are rarely wrong! :-/
Paignton green
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin stubbs

Post by Paignton green »

Fitzpatrick to barrow average attendance last season 1200 how on earth is that bettering himself
Paignton green
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Paignton green »

Niko has no money to work wth and no contacts Harrop is a crook says it all season of struggle I'm afraid
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Paignton green wrote: 29 Jun 2017, 12:22 Fitzpatrick to barrow average attendance last season 1200 how on earth is that bettering himself
How would signing for a team that narrowly avoided relegation to the national south two years running be bettering himself?
Paignton green
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Paignton green »

Peronally no great shakes should try n get the young fullback from Bournemouth back odds on young getting injured again quite high I would imagine over paid injury prone get rid his wages could get 3 players in and don't argue cos I know how much he's on
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

merse btpir wrote: 29 Jun 2017, 06:47 A 'toxic' mix and the bookies are rarely wrong! :-/
Going to disagree with you here, Merse. Bookies are wrong all the time - they don't price markets based on the likelihood of somebody actually winning - they do it on the weight of money the expect to get. this is why England are always way shorter than their ability suggests.

If you're a dispassionate watcher of the National League, you'd look at us, see our crapness last season, read about the ownership issues, look at the squad we've assembled so far and think "well, no, they're not going to do anything" and are more likely to back us for relegation. That's fair, based on the record, but 15/8 is a short price - I'd lay us at 9/4 all day long.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

Early days yet but I think we're looking stronger than last season, on paper at least. We've signed players that are proven at this level and mid table should be a realistic target. We were safely in mid table for much of last season and didn't enter a relegation battle until relatively late on, after Blissett and several loanees left, without replacements or new arrivals.

The off field aspect is one that I would be more concerned about, if funding was pulled or we went back into crisis mode. If things stay as they are now, I think we have cause for optimism. Another relegation battle would be a big under-achievement if there's no further off field problems.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Onto Sat and Tranmere are odds on favourites to win with Torquay at 3/1. Not bad for a tenner punt and as so many of you are expecting a win you will all be £20 better off. (get to see the game for free). Even better odds for Josh Gowling to score the opener at 50/1 considering they give better odds for Kevin Nicolson to score the opener at 28/1. I know who my money will be on. Afraid not much to be made on Rory Fallon scoring the first at 17/2. With those odds shows you the bookies know very lttle about National League football, Nicho and Fallon wont even be in the starting line up.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/en ... ere/winner
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

MellowYellow wrote: 01 Aug 2017, 22:08 Onto Sat and Tranmere are odds on favourites to win with Torquay at 3/1. Not bad for a tenner punt and as so many of you are expecting a win you will all be £20 better off. (get to see the game for free). Even better odds for Josh Gowling to score the opener at 50/1 considering they give better odds for Kevin Nicolson to score the opener at 28/1. I know who my money will be on. Afraid not much to be made on Rory Fallon scoring the first at 17/2. With those odds shows you the bookies know very lttle about National League football, Nicho and Fallon wont even be in the starting line up.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/en ... ere/winner
Bet £10 on 3/1 would make you £30 better off, with a return of £40( including your stake). 50/1 for gowling to score 1st goal is remarkably tempting
Lucy
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Thanks Lucy

Reworked my returns on my £10 double (Win / Gowling to score first) at 3/1 and 50/1 with a £10 stake. First bet (3/1 = a £40 return -as you say). Second part of the bet using the returns from my first bet (£40) at 50/1 = 50 - add one (to make 51) and multiply it by the stake (£40).

My potential return would therefore be £2,040. Few beers for Sat night - roll on Sat - COYY!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

MellowYellow wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 10:59 Thanks Lucy

Reworked my returns on my £10 double (Win / Gowling to score first) at 3/1 and 50/1 with a £10 stake. First bet (3/1 = a £40 return -as you say). Second part of the bet using the returns from my first bet (£40) at 50/1 = 50 - add one (to make 51) and multiply it by the stake (£40).
Gowling is 50/1 to score first? Ok, that seems a decent price.

Well, in any case, you won't get the price you've suggested. if you a do a double on a team to win and a player to score first, those two events are what bookmakers call "related contingencies" - basically, the successful outcome of one affects the odds of the second. If Gowling scores first, the chance of a Torquay win is dramatically increased (because they're, you know, 1-0 up)

You should probably confirm with the bookmaker before the game just to be sure, but I would guess that basically the price of a Torquay win would be at least halved (6/4) so you'd be looking at less than the £2000+ you mentioned.

Source: Had to explain this at least 5 times a week to punters in the Plainmoor William Hills. Also I used to set the prices of Torquay's first scorer back then.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

MellowYellow wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 10:59 Thanks Lucy

My potential return would therefore be £2,040. Few beers for Sat night - roll on Sat - COYY!
not quite, as explained above,

its 85/1 on Bet365
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 15:47 not quite, as explained above,

its 85/1 on Bet365
Gowling to score first and Torquay win is 30/1 on bet365. Score cast is also available, for example gowling to score 1st and Torquay 1-0 is 70/1
Lucy