David Fitzpatrick

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Ray Johnstone
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Halstead

David Fitzpatrick

Post by Ray Johnstone »

Barrow AFC have confirmed the signing of David Fitzpatrick from AFC Wimbledon via the official website this afternoon. The e-mail notes Fitzpatrick last played for Torquay United, so I have come to this web site to garner opinions on him as a player. There has been mild unrest amongst contributors to our blog, with some suggesting that Fitzpatrick is not good enough for a team with lofty Football League ambitions. What do you think? A good player to have on the books, or is he one to keep an eye on?

Thanks for your time,

Ray
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Ray Johnstone wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 16:40 Barrow AFC have confirmed the signing of David Fitzpatrick from AFC Wimbledon via the official website this afternoon. The e-mail notes Fitzpatrick last played for Torquay United, so I have come to this web site to garner opinions on him as a player. There has been mild unrest amongst contributors to our blog, with some suggesting that Fitzpatrick is not good enough for a team with lofty Football League ambitions. What do you think? A good player to have on the books, or is he one to keep an eye on?
Thanks for your time, Ray
He did well for us during his loan spell, Ray - scored some good goals from the wing. I know many Gulls fans, me included, had hoped he would sign for us and it was rumoured that manager Kevin Nicholson was chasing him. But Barrow's 'buying powers' are far greater than Torquay's nowadays so that may well have swayed the issue. I hope he proves to be a good signing for you - he's a good lad. Good luck for next season which looks like being a competitive one. :scarf:
timmax
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Loram

Post by timmax »

Above average. He will do well for you. Was hopeing he may return to us.
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

Ray Johnstone wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 16:40 Barrow AFC have confirmed the signing of David Fitzpatrick from AFC Wimbledon via the official website this afternoon. The e-mail notes Fitzpatrick last played for Torquay United, so I have come to this web site to garner opinions on him as a player. There has been mild unrest amongst contributors to our blog, with some suggesting that Fitzpatrick is not good enough for a team with lofty Football League ambitions. What do you think? A good player to have on the books, or is he one to keep an eye on?

Thanks for your time,

Ray

No offence but your Barrow, if your supporters feel that he is not good enough for you then they need a reality check.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

a good signing for barrow, shame we didn't get him,
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

View1 wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 16:56
No offence but your Barrow, if your supporters feel that he is not good enough for you then they need a reality check.
No offence but I'm going to be offensive...
TUST No 278
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

View1 wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 16:56 No offence but your Barrow, if your supporters feel that he is not good enough for you then they need a reality check.
That's a bit below the belt View1 - almost as bad as the Barrow fan who announced to Fitzpatrick that "Barrow is just like Torquay but without the sea front palm trees." Have some sympathy for Barrow they have dreamed of returning to the football league for 45 years now.

If we delve into the murky box marked worst transfers of all time, Paul Cox signings for Torquay has to be in there: Geohaghon, Heslop, Briscoe, Fisher, Fenwick !
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Let's be fair - if Fitz had signed for us we would be singing the praises of it.

Ray - you have a very good player at this level judging by his time with us. Has off days and moments but has everything you would want in a winger which is decent pace, delivery and has more than the odd goal in him.

It sucks to be out punched by Barrow but that is our reality right now and we should not blame their fans for it who really just want to get excited by one of their new signings.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I don't think it sucks to be out-punched by Barrow anymore. It's known they are being well-backed by investors, plus they have taken the step of setting up their training base remote from the town to open up their geographical spread of players.

There are a few things we could learn from them tbf.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

There is little comparison between Barrow and Torquay tbf. One is behind a mountain , one is now on a dual carriageway. One has a benevolent American, one has a developer from Chew Magna. Good on Barrow. I hope they do well next year. The breaks are running their way right now and they are an honest football club. They deserve the breaks they currently have. They have had some really hard times and come through them.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

MellowYellow wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 18:34 That's a bit below the belt View1 - almost as bad as the Barrow fan who announced to Fitzpatrick that "Barrow is just like Torquay but without the sea front palm trees."
I have been to Barrow. Once !!! :B
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Jeff wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 18:53 I don't think it sucks to be out-punched by Barrow anymore...........
Nobody knows if Barrow have 'out-punched' Torquay United; nobody knows if the manager genuinely wanted Fitzpatrick once he had the signings of Higgins and Davis in place because he could well be contemplating using a different system utilising them than the one he had in place when Fitzpatrick was in on loan.

It is my feeling that the manager could well be contemplating using those two to thrust forward far more effectively than last season's motley collection of right backs and Lathaniel Rowe-Turner did, and that could well deny a player like Fitzpatrick a place in the starting line-up.

When assembling a squad, sometimes it is necessary to jettison one target because you have failed to secure another or put another way; change your mind over one target because you have acquired another.

The proof will reveal itself when we see in what roles Nicholson decided to use Higgins and Davis ~ as full backs in a flat back four; as wing backs in front of a back three or as wide midfielders/wingers...........watch those pre-season friendlies and see if you can tell!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Dont think you can include Briscoe and Fisher in the worst ever signings !
Briscoe was signed by Hargreaves and was very good in his first season and Fisher banged in 8 goals
in 9 games in the Scottish Premership for Inverness, and 7 for us in half a season before that
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 20:42 [ .

The proof will reveal itself when we see in what roles Nicholson decided to use Higgins and Davis ~ as full backs in a flat back four; as wing backs in front of a back three or as wide midfielders/wingers...........watch those pre-season friendlies and see if you can tell!
Would like to see the latter wide midfielders/wingers, a 3 4 3 formation (like Chelsea or Tottenham formation) bold and adventurous and difficult to play against if the players know and keep to their game plan. We have signed experienced players this time round so it is possible. However, we are not a Chelsea or Tottenham and at our level we need a really good strong centre forward who is able to hold the ball up to bring the players into play to allow this formation to have any chance of succeeding. To hold the ball up for 3 to 4 sec's may sound easy, but very few players can do it - Rene Howe who's name has been bantered around was a class act at holding up the ball - hence why he was so rated amongst managers.
Ray Johnstone
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Halstead

Post by Ray Johnstone »

This page is about David Fitzpatrick. Please keep all replies on topic.

Thanks,

Ray