David Fitzpatrick

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Ray Johnstone wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 22:13 This page is about David Fitzpatrick. Please keep all replies on topic.

Thanks,

Ray
Joins forum today an starts giving orders! Barrow fan no doubt! Sorry Boss!

Actually, if you care to read the posts on the topic you will see the replies leads into potential team formations that would not accommodate Fitzpatrick.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

MellowYellow wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 21:38at our level we need a really good strong centre forward who is able to hold the ball up to bring the players into play to allow this formation to have any chance of succeeding.
With respect, I don't wholly agree with that view.....the squad of u16 players I helped assemble, manage and had a very innovative coach organising last season; didn't have 'such a beast' and so the coach devised a way of playing that utilized pure pace and focus in getting shots off and it worked.

It worked because of the excellent technical attributes of the players we did have (and very deliberately sought) and that was borne out by the number of professional clubs who subsequently invited them in for trials which was the whole point of the project.........a project only designed to run until the start of this calendar year because of the need for those boys to achieve the best GCSE results they could thereafter.

But that is to digress ~ we played with two highly paced and of good first touch strikers; smallish, compact guys who certainly rattled off the shots on goal and scored a lot of goals into the bargain. Behind them we had technically very good and astute passers of the ball who could be patient and then read the trigger points to deliver the ball to them in the optimum manner in which they could take defenders on and get their shots off ~ we did not play with any sort of winger in the mould of David Fitzpatrick. We did not want them getting crosses in but wanted them to recycle the ball if they found themselves forward down the flanks and retain possession at all costs. We played (when we could) with three very tall but lithe and mobile central back defenders with two wingbacks operating in front of them. If one of those three was not available for one reason or another then the coach changed it to a more traditional back four but the marked change to the attacking emphasis of the team was remarkably obvious to see..........it's all about devising your team pattern and shape to suit the components you have available on the day when you are operating with a strictly limited number of players as both we had to, and Kevin Nicholson has to do.

So will he go with Myles Anderson joining Gowling and McGinty in a back three allowing his newly acquired attacking full backs to get forward, or will he hold Anderson back as cover and play with a central back two in a less ambitious set up?

It will depend on whether the manager feels (as many do) that a less complicated, more pragmatic back four with less decisions to make between them is the way to go 'at this level'.........I don't agree; and have seen much more innovation and confidence in players being allowed to express themselves more constructively in the (admittedly less demanding) Ryman League at clubs such as Dulwich Hamlet and Wingate & Finchley by modern thinking and innovative coaches as Gavin Rose and Keith Rowland are respectively at those clubs. Clubs where players progress and rise to higher levels in the game at a far higher rate than those at Torquay United have managed to do in comparison.

But as ever it's a game of opinions; and many different ones at that!
Last edited by merse btpir on 28 Jun 2017, 22:51, edited 4 times in total.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Laughable - Barrow fans think that Fitzpatrick isn't good enough for them. Merse is 100% correct. Noone quite frankly has a clue whether we have "lost out" to Barrow for Fitzpatricks services. It could equally be the case that Nicholson wasn't interested in him at all.

He seemed to have been ok for us when here on loan but our team was so terminally crap at the time that it wouldn't have been too difficult to stand out. More akin to a rough diamond swimming in a shoal of turds.

Presumably he has plenty to prove so whether he will be a success is quite probably a coin toss really. A bit like some of our signings. In the grand scheme of things Barrow are still a pretty small club who just happened to have an owner who will splash a bit of cash. When he gets bored they will no doubt return to their natural level.

Will cox get them promoted? - can't actually see it myself.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Ray Johnstone wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 22:13This page is about David Fitzpatrick. Please keep all replies on topic.
Don't be arrogant and try to dictate how people respond on a thread you started....life is far more interesting than a one dimensional focus to the isolation of the team(s) he plays in!
Ray Johnstone
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Halstead

Post by Ray Johnstone »

Evidently this blog is worse than Barrow's for off topic e-mails - and we have no moderating staff since John Little stepped down.

What on Earth has Kettering Town's top scorer got to do with Mr Fitzpatrick and Barrow AFC? I'm sure there are other pages where you can discuss Rene Howe and the Plainmoor youth setup.

Ray
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Ray Johnstone wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 23:39 Evidently this blog is worse than Barrow's for off topic e-mails - and we have no moderating staff since John Little stepped down.

What on Earth has Kettering Town's top scorer got to do with Mr Fitzpatrick and Barrow AFC? I'm sure there are other pages where you can discuss Rene Howe and the Plainmoor youth setup.

Ray
This isn't a blog.

These are posts, not emails.

We have plenty of good - and quite fair - moderators.

There are no posts about Rene Howe or Kettering in this thread.

Other than that, you've had a blinder there pal.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 22:33 With respect, I don't wholly agree with that view.....the squad of u16 players I helped assemble, manage and had a very innovative coach organising last season; didn't have 'such a beast' and so the coach devised a way of playing that utilized pure pace and focus in getting shots off and it worked.
Think we are singing off the same hymn sheet in terms of formation (wingbacks) with no need for a winger in the mould of David Fitzpatrick . Totally happy to go along with your attacking formation, however, do we have two highly paced, good first touch strikers with quality midfield passers to make that happen. I did not see much pinging off shots last season, so hence my thoughts on a good centre forward . Love him or hate him Matt Rhead of Lincoln did a sterling job holding the ball up for them last season
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Ray Johnstone wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 23:39 I'm sure there are other pages where you can discuss Rene Howe and the Plainmoor youth setup.
Like a Barrow AFC 'blog'?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Ray Johnstone wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 23:39 Evidently this blog is worse than Barrow's for off topic e-mails - and we have no moderating staff since John Little stepped down.

What on Earth has Kettering Town's top scorer got to do with Mr Fitzpatrick and Barrow AFC? I'm sure there are other pages where you can discuss Rene Howe and the Plainmoor youth setup. Ray
Us be Deb'n bouys down 'ere and we be well known for wanderin' off subject. Us'll get back on track directly after our ramblins'. Anyhow, Kettering be up north like that there Barrow so it be similar, like. ;-)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

View1 wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 16:56
No offence but your Barrow, if your supporters feel that he is not good enough for you then they need a reality check.
No offence, but it's "you're"

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

[/quote]

No offence, but it's "you're"
[/quote]

None taken.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Ray
Haha. Plainmoor youth setup.

You definitely are new here.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.