Liam Davis New Left Back

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

From what i have seen of Chaney in pre season at LB i see no problem. Its good for his development as well. As long as they are organised during set pieces which you can see they have been doing. He s very positive with the ball and looks to progress in offensive positions.
I would have liked to have seen the Argyle flyer Ainsworth against him for longer to give him a real test.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I guess that it will be Jordan Lee not Chaney who fills in at left back. There isn't a comparison really - Lee is a far better player.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

In this day and age playing left back is less an issue of tacking strength as in discipline in getting tight to his opponent, preventing crosses and forcing him into the channel he is less adept at playing in.......

Getting forward, taking n opponents one for one and getting crosses in are important attributes too and if you want to win matches you need to keep the ball so the acquisition of a pair ~ Higgins and Davies ~ who are adept at just that suggest to me that this is the pattern of play the manager seeks to establish.

Davies has committed to moving down to the south west from his Northampton home and maybe he did the same in order to sign for Yeovil (I don't know) but one way or another the expression of concern I would have is his record last season of making just 26 league appearances for them last season and all after January 31st......I presume that he was long-tern injured before then.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Tbf last season he was playing in Sweden through 2016, and only signed for Cheltenham on Jan 30th. That would explain the distribution of his appearances
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Jeff wrote: 03 Aug 2017, 16:24Tbf last season he was playing in Sweden through 2016, and only signed for Cheltenham on Jan 30th. That would explain the distribution of his appearances
Oh yes; that was a rubbish posting by me then! :}
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

brucie wrote: 03 Aug 2017, 12:12 I guess that it will be Jordan Lee not Chaney who fills in at left back. There isn't a comparison really - Lee is a far better player.
Whilst I agree in part that Lee has a better pedigree and far greater potential, his tackling is suspect and in fact his strength is almost null. Truthfully I don't think either will suffice at left back against the pro's of Tranmere.
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular

Post by arrywithanh »

Jeff wrote: 03 Aug 2017, 16:24 Tbf last season he was playing in Sweden through 2016, and only signed for Cheltenham on Jan 30th. That would explain the distribution of his appearances
:goodpost:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

arrywithanh wrote: 03 Aug 2017, 20:39 Whilst I agree in part that Lee has a better pedigree and far greater potential, his tackling is suspect and in fact his strength is almost null. Truthfully I don't think either will suffice at left back against the pro's of Tranmere.
What ??? Jordan Lee's 'strength is almost null' - what a load of rubbish. You watch a different game to me - I wonder just how much you understand football. I see you're back on here grunting - do you ever post anything positive about TUFC? Gawd - we need supporters like you - not !! :@ Oh - and before you say it. Yes, I know you're entitled to post your views ..... even if they are sooooo wrong !!
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular

Post by arrywithanh »

tomogull wrote: 03 Aug 2017, 22:50 What ??? Jordan Lee's 'strength is almost null' - what a load of rubbish. You watch a different game to me - I wonder just how much you understand football. I see you're back on here grunting - do you ever post anything positive about TUFC? Gawd - we need supporters like you - not !! :@ Oh - and before you say it. Yes, I know you're entitled to post your views ..... even if they are sooooo wrong !!
And who says my opinions are wrong?? YOU!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

I don't profess to being any sort of football guru, but I do watch an awful lot of games.

We can differ on opinion that is surely what makes for a healthy fans forum.

Jordan Lee is superb going forward down the wing but IMO weak in defence. :clap:
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

An opinions an opinion, and there's probaby something in both of your points. I think it's a bit harsh to say that his strength is almost null, and for what it's worth he looks a decent young full-back. He was far better on the wing however, and as a winger very good defensively, clapped off on the last game of the season for relentlessy coming back and making some crunching tackles to cover Gallifuoco.

As such if we went 4-4-2 I think he'd be a good bet on either wing, to cover either Chaney or Higgins. Against Norwood and co. they're going to bloody need it!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

arrywithanh wrote: 04 Aug 2017, 10:09 I don't profess to being any sort of football guru, but I do watch an awful lot of games.
Well yes - we do watch an AWFUL lot of games. I agree with you there. But that's what it is to be a Torquay United fan ;-)
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

You mean a lot of AWFUL games don't you?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

nickbrod wrote: 04 Aug 2017, 16:22 You mean a lot of AWFUL games don't you?
Ah - you're nick-picking, brod ....... ;-)
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Anyone know if Liam Davis is fit for tomorrow?
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular

Post by arrywithanh »

tomogull wrote: 04 Aug 2017, 15:14 Well yes - we do watch an AWFUL lot of games. I agree with you there. But that's what it is to be a Torquay United fan ;-)
:goodpost: