Justin Fashanu

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Justin Fashanu

Post by MidDevon »

Fash would have been 40 last week.

Just thought it was worth a mention, as no matter what some supporters thought about him, he brought more publicity to Torquay United in just 40 odd games than any other player in the club's history in my opinion.

My goodness did he bring some baggage with him....espcecially that bag from the soap opera
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

no one could put the ball into the box like him
robc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by robc »

Also thought of him today when I read this story

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/fe ... davies-gay

I doubt it very much, but I really hope this will encourage a top footballer in his prime to follow suit (statistics dictate that there must be at least a few in each league). The reason I doubt it however, is basically due to the reaction Justin got. I'd love to think football has progressed from those dark days, but the recent behaviour of Messrs Gray and Keys make me think otherwise...
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

There's an organization devoted to fighting homophobia in football - it was named in honour of Justin Fashanu: http://www.thejustincampaign.com
You can also follow on twitter: @JustinCampaign
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

You have to admire the welsh Rugby player thomas for coming out. He has even been on talk shows here in the states. Pretty brave.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Straight, gay or whatever even the biggest homophobic b****ck bag wouldn't start a fight with a rugby player.
I admire anyone with the guts to make that first step and come out. Perhaps if more sportsmen/women were confident enough to be open about it the moronic element would keep quiet.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

HRG wrote:Straight, gay or whatever even the biggest homophobic b****ck bag wouldn't start a fight with a rugby player.
I admire anyone with the guts to make that first step and come out. Perhaps if more sportsmen/women were confident enough to be open about it the moronic element would keep quiet.
I think it's hardy in football than in pretty much any other sport because for years certain players have been abused for even the slightest suggestion that he might be gay. It'll only take one high-profile player to come out and make it a lot easier for the rest; but it's difficult cos that first player will get a hell of a lot of abuse. Plus there's a financial motive, too - high profile players rely on endorsements and often they're appealing to women..coming out would destroy that.

i really hope it's someone you'd least expect, like say Andy Carroll; that'll challenge some of the prejudices that still surround homosexuality - plus it'd take a brave bigot to take him on..
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
robc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by robc »

Happytorq - I like the thought, although even less likely to get shit for it would be someone 10 years older, but the same type of player. In other words, someone who you wouldn't mess with, and is also an established, respected elder statesman, someone like Ryan Nelson, Kevin Davies or Kevin Nolan...
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

I am impressed and, if I am honest, slightly surprised, by the comments on this thread. I think that ten years ago, if this great forum was around, a similar thread would have seen different responses.

I think nowadays most homophobic prejudice is more about childish remarks from people unsure about their own sexuality. It is now assumed that 10% of men are actually gay.

Twenty years ago I did not know a gay person, 20 years on, I know several, and most of these are people I have known over 20 years, in other words they have "come out" in more recent times....and now I get the opportunity to sell them loads of Rainbow flags of course!!!

In recent years , 3 or 4 very high profile football people have been very close to admitting they are gay, in fact one very well know ex-player who used to be a manager of a South West football club is very open about his lifestyle........but still no-one will take the plunge....

happytorq makes a good comment about the finincial risks associated, which is probably why we still have this situation....
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by TUFC92 »

Think they'll always be a few idiots that would give abuse to someone who came out as gay, whoever it was. Think it is very wrong that some sports men and women have to hide who they are. I never got to see Justin Fashanu play, but from what I've heard he was a good player, the fact he was gay shouldn't matter in the slightest bit. I, like people have said above, hope that somebody well known, and un-expected, comes out and says you know what? I'm gay, and hopefully, if that happens, people will realise that it isn't a problem, and that they're the same person they were before they knew.

Like I said though, there will always be idiots that will think they're big and clever coming out with abuse.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

When you consider that clubs welcome with open arms guys such as Joey Barton (blinded a teammate, been to prison twice, all round arse hole), Andy Carroll (convicted of assaulting a woman), Marlon King (sentenced to two years porridge for sexual assault) and Lee Hughes (convicted of causing death by dangerous driving and leaving the scene of an accident, believed to have been over the limit at the time) I really don't see it as an issue that football should accept openly gay players or staff.
In a few years time, we will look back on this with the same sense of quaint curiosity as we do now on the 'man of colour' rule for England internationals.

Also, football, especially at the top level, is possibly the gayest game going. They all give it the hard man act, but as soon as any of them are subjected to physical contact of any kind, they fall down, clutching a shin or their face (irrespective of where the contact was made) and writhe around in apparent agony.
Wanna see a hit? This is how men play sports >>>

I mean really, is this a wall composed entirely of heterosexual men? >>> http://triffictottenham.co.uk/the-arsen ... -must-see/

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

MidDevon wrote:I am impressed and, if I am honest, slightly surprised, by the comments on this thread. I think that ten years ago, if this great forum was around, a similar thread would have seen different responses.
I think nowadays most homophobic prejudice is more about childish remarks from people unsure about their own sexuality. It is now assumed that 10% of men are actually gay.
I shall restore your faith in the lowest common denominator of humanity then Mid :na:

I have often seen the 10% figure bandied around, usually by the likes of Stonewall/that obnoxious git Tatchell etc, but dont think there is actually any evidence to support it, unless there are a hell of a lot of people living in sham, hetro, relationships. Each to his own, though I would find the sight of a couple of blokes playing tonsil hockey on the beach say, just as disgust inducing as a chavvy pair of hetro teenagers doing the same...

See? I discrimate against everyone me :rofl:

On the flip side though, if I was that way inclined I would probably have a lot of pictures of Torres on the wall (Fernando NOT Sergio) but only from before he had his hair cut... :lol:

Matt... you want hits? Try these :whistle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_v7AG2xgwE