Grandstand 1965?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
oldcommsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Grandstand 1965?

Post by oldcommsboy »

So as this is the silly season, here's a photo from the BBC operators site, showing part of the Grandstand set in those heady days of the mid- sixties.

But is that Torquay I can see on the scoreboard, and if so, does anyone remember when the Lincoln match was?

http://tech-ops.co.uk/next/2016/10/young-dudley/

Chris
Chris
TUST member 479
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Well if it was in 1964-65 then that game ended in a 0-2 defeat and was played on Saturday 26th September 1964
the 1965-66 game ended 4-1 on Saturday 6th November 1965
http://stats.football.co.uk/head_to_hea ... ndex.shtml

United were a pretty good side in both those seasons ~ winning promotion in fact in 65-66 ~ whilst Lincoln were crap and had to apply for re-election on both occasions.

I made my first ever visit to Sincil Bank for the away game at the end of the 1965-66 season and it was somewhat basic and miserable little ground ~ not that Plainmoor was much to write home about in those days ~ consisting of three rabbit hutch like wooden stands and one exposed open terrace down the Sincil Drain side; the little brook that separates it from the site of their former John O'Gaunts Ground. That it was the first old school ground more or less condemned and dangerous in the wake of the Valley Parade fire came as no surprise to me and the result is a complete transformation of what went before.

The South Park stand was closed to spectators for the 1985/86 campaign but was then reopened in the following season after the St Andrews stand was demolished in the summer of 1986. This was the prelude to the final period of redevelopment of the ground.

The first stage of this saw a new St Andrews stand seating 1,400 opened in November 1987. The South Park and railway ends were both demolished in the early months of 1990m and in August of the same year the Stacey West stand ~ named after two long serving City fans who died in the Bradford fire ~ was opened at the north end of the ground. A new South Park stand with 17 executive boxes was operational in the summer of 1992. The EGT Family stand appeared alongside the St Andrews stand in 1994, and the final stage of the redevelopment saw the completion of the 5,700 seat Linpave stand in March 1995 to replace the open terracing on the Sincil Bank side. A modern floodlighting system was also installed at this time. The total cost of rebuilding the ground amounted to around £3 million, with significant contributions coming from both the City Council and the Football Trust.

Sincil Bank became an all-seater stadium at the start of the 1999/2000 season when the only remaining terracing - in the Stacey West stand - was replaced by seats, meaning that the ground now has a capacity of over 10,000 and has arguably been one of the best stadiums in non-league football.

Sincil Bank in the nineteen sixties
Mo Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Mo Gull »

Could you not work the season out by checking the fixtures for the same day as the two you've highlighted?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

No; you do it you lazy fecker! :na:
oldcommsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldcommsboy »

Thanks Merse. Looks like it was 26th Sept 64 then based on Brighton being in the division. I'll let the site owner know.

Good period that in many respects as you indicated. Politics was however just as unstable as now with Labour winning the GE almost 3 weeks after this match with a majority of 4 seats.

Then I moved away to work having studied at Homelands Technical High School, now the Academy next door, having had sports days on Plainmoor pitch.

C'est la vie

Chris
Chris
TUST member 479
teignmouth54
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by teignmouth54 »

The date was 15th February 1964, when Oxford United beat first division Blackburn Rovers 3-1 in the F A Cup 5th round and Leeds United were in division two.

It was an important match as Torquay and Lincoln were placed 6th and 7th respectively, both level on points and very much involved in the promotion race. The game ended 2-2 and I remember Jack Swindells missing a penalty for us.

Great picture of Sincil Bank.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Ah Jack Swindells - responsible for the worst miss I have ever seen. In a reserve game, clean through
took the ball around the keeper on the penalty spot and then managed to chip the ball over the gaping goal from 8 yards
Saw our former player John Fairbrother do a similar thing playing against us for Mansfield, but maybe not
quite as bad
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

teignmouth54 wrote: 23 Jun 2017, 12:37 The date was 15th February 1964, when Oxford United beat first division Blackburn Rovers 3-1 in the F A Cup 5th round and Leeds United were in division two.

It was an important match as Torquay and Lincoln were placed 6th and 7th respectively, both level on points and very much involved in the promotion race. The game ended 2-2 and I remember Jack Swindells missing a penalty for us.

Great picture of Sincil Bank.
It's always best to double-check these things and with the fixtures for the Scottish F.A. Cup clearly shown, it should be easy to do so. So if Stefano could put on his anorak again and check when East Stirling played Dunfermline, we'll be able to definitely know the exact date ............ ;-)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Saturday 15 February 1964. Dunfermline beat East Stirling 6-1 away from home in the Scottish FA cup.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com