Ryan Higgins signs!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Ryan Higgins signs!

Post by CraigUnder »

Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

A little research uncovers he won Player of the Year, Young player of the year as well as Goal of the season for Southport last year.

Encouraging even if that was in a team which was relegated.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Tarrboy1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tarrboy1 »

Good signing. He was the best player on the pitch when we played at Chester season before last.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Given Nicho's years of experience as a full back I will take it as a given he is good and having walked away with all the awards Southport had to offer last season and their fans favourite player, I see no reason to believe otherwise.
Paignton green
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin stubbs

Post by Paignton green »

You seem to forget nicholson couldnt defend just on the pitch for free kicks
Paignton green
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin stubbs

Post by Paignton green »

Seems one that will improve torquayunited back line we will see
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Just listened to his interview on the OS. Very good signing. A proper scouser.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Not much information about this guy out there so I have registered on the Southport fans forum and asked the question about Ryan and the responses has been largely positive (listed below)

It seems there may be a slight question mark over him defensively but I think it bodes well that he will have the experience and knowhow of Gowling next to him talking to him through games. At 23 he already has played a considerable number of games at this level so his knowledge base will already be of a decent standard.

Is it that finally we have found a player to break the right-back curse at TQ1?!

Southport insight:
- "You have got a really good player - our player of the season by a mile despite playing in a dreadful season. Strong going forward, massive long throw on him, needs to improve a bit defensively but he has been under constant pressure all season. He will do well for you."

- "He was a shining light in our dreadful season. Sometimes you think a player only stands out because the others are poor (especially the last 5 years at Haig Avenue!) but with Ryan you know he'll play well irrespective of team performance. Gets forward well but can also defend, has good energy and has a great attitude so is a good example to those around him. He won our Player of the Season and when I came to vote there was no other candidate! I'm sure all Port fans wish Ryan all the best at Torquay."

- "Very good player. Obviously likes the seaside. Could be wrong but I believe he won a couple of awards. Wouldn't bother asking Chester fans though, he came to us as 'one of [their] worst ever right backs'. Baffling but that's football."

- "Cracking player, best of luck to him."

- "He's a player that needs managing in order to keep him focused. He has a long throw but it's not that effective as it loops quite high and is therefore easy to defend against. He can use both feet, very athletic, quick, high work-rate good going forward, will shoot on sight. It's easy to get carried away because there are some basic flaws which he may still iron out of his game with maturity and game-time. He is erratic, prone to lapses of concentration and defensively can be exploited, that said if you have the right centre half pairing behind or you are playing wing backs and three centre halves you won't get a better one at this level. It's a good signing for you guys, right age and experience a good attitude and work ethic. Wish him well, he was player of the year albeit in probably the worst side we've fielded in my time as a supporter."

- "Cracking little player - Wish him all the best at Torquay"

- "Chester fans never rated him-which amazed me after seeing him play. He's not the best defensively but I liked him going forward ,and was one of the few players to emerge with credit-from a season of carnage."

- "Very fit, good on the ball, has an eye for a pass and the ability to execute it, two footed and can shoot. I always thought he was wasted as a right back and could flourish as a midfielder. I wish him all the best as he never once shirked or went missing in a truly awful season."

- "He's mustard."
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Richinns wrote: 16 Jun 2017, 12:50 Not much information about this guy out there so I have registered on the Southport fans forum and asked the question about Ryan and the responses has been largely positive (listed below)
:goodpost:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

MellowYellow wrote: 16 Jun 2017, 16:00 :goodpost:
sounds a good signing - and sounds like George Best! =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468