Poke to return?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

threelittlepiglets wrote: 15 Jun 2017, 07:36 Poke and his form/ability have rapidly declined as his career progresses, I would much rather see Moore coached correctly than have Poke who again (only my personal opinion) isn't up to much anymore.
Have to disagree with much of what has been said on here. Poke is only 31, that is no age for a goalkeeper - in fact some might argue that he might even be at his peak at that sort of age. Provided he avoids serious injury, he should reasonably expect his career to continue for another 3 or 4 seasons - perhaps even longer - I would have thought.

As for his performance levels, did no one see him perform those heroics for Woking against us last season? No one remember that worldly reaction save to what seemed like a certain goal for Jamie Reid?

One look at the Woking fans forum, will also tell you that most of their fans were both shocked and disappointed that he wasn't offered a new deal, and many offer the opinion that his performances won them several points last season, and that without him, where might they have ended up? They have a younger, cheaper, option as back up and have probably only released Poke for that reason. He has had his injury problems in the past, particularly when he was with us it seems, but by and large he is over them and played 35 odd games at this level last season.

Personally, I would be delighted if Pokey returns - it would be a shame if Moore moves on as he definitely has some potential - but if we are looking for a solid replacement then I think Poke is a very decent choice. He (Poke) is also at the age, and level of experience, whereby he could maybe "double up" as a player/goalkeeping coach working with a younger keeper?
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

CP Gull wrote: 15 Jun 2017, 09:10 Have to disagree with much of what has been said on here. Poke is only 31, that is no age for a goalkeeper - in fact some might argue that he might even be at his peak at that sort of age. Provided he avoids serious injury, he should reasonably expect his career to continue for another 3 or 4 seasons - perhaps even longer - I would have thought.

As for his performance levels, did no one see him perform those heroics for Woking against us last season? No one remember that worldly reaction save to what seemed like a certain goal for Jamie Reid?

One look at the Woking fans forum, will also tell you that most of their fans were both shocked and disappointed that he wasn't offered a new deal, and many offer the opinion that his performances won them several points last season, and that without him, where might they have ended up? They have a younger, cheaper, option as back up and have probably only released Poke for that reason. He has had his injury problems in the past, particularly when he was with us it seems, but by and large he is over them and played 35 odd games at this level last season.

Personally, I would be delighted if Pokey returns - it would be a shame if Moore moves on as he definitely has some potential - but if we are looking for a solid replacement then I think Poke is a very decent choice. He (Poke) is also at the age, and level of experience, whereby he could maybe "double up" as a player/goalkeeping coach working with a younger keeper?
:goodpost: Exactly this CP.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Most keepers would tell you that from the age of 30 they are at their most accomplished. Confidence isn't such a key issue, experience is in place and above all maturity. (Took me a lot longer admittedly)

Poke would be the key component to a strong spine as someone else mentioned.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
stratfordgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bobby O...oh no

Post by stratfordgull »

Moore signing for Rochdale today makes a Pokey type signing a nice possibility. An aged (decent and experienced) goalkeeper can form a great base for a team - as an aged and experienced keeper, I know how important I am (I mean, they are).
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

Would have pokey back tomorrow , we don't want a young inexperienced keeper.
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

It's sometimes said; that people who play football from a young age, regularly at a professional level can burn out earlier than those who don't. IE Wayne Rooney, 31 but got the experience of someone 36.

Michael Poke has spent a good 5 years warming the bench & didn't get first team football until he joined TUFC. Providing he's not had a major injury too many (obvious thing to say, I know) he could still be relatively fresh, even given his age. As pointed out keepers peak later than outfield players too.

I'd be happy to see him return.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Parkys People wrote: 15 Jun 2017, 23:11 It's sometimes said; that people who play football from a young age, regularly at a professional level can burn out earlier than those who don't. IE Wayne Rooney, 31 but got the experience of someone 36.

Michael Poke has spent a good 5 years warming the bench & didn't get first team football until he joined TUFC. Providing he's not had a major injury too many (obvious thing to say, I know) he could still be relatively fresh, even given his age. As pointed out keepers peak later than outfield players too.

I'd be happy to see him return.
It would be a hat trick of a return if he does sign. Surely if he does he has to realise Torquay is his level of achievement. Get your coaching badges, and enjoy life in Torbay, just like versey. Poke has 5 decent years of national and beyond to compete. But then again look at juventus keeper Buffon
Lucy
Ausgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs -Legend

Post by Ausgull »

Now that we know that Brendan Moore has left for Rochdale, Pokey would be a good no 2 keeper as you have to ask why did Woking release him.
I just hope that Torquay do sign two keepers this coming season and preferably someone new to the club.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Ausgull wrote: 16 Jun 2017, 06:13 Now that we know that Brendan Moore has left for Rochdale, Pokey would be a good no 2 keeper as you have to ask why did Woking release him.
I just hope that Torquay do sign two keepers this coming season and preferably someone new to the club.
Poke as a number 2 at this level with our current circumstances? :-D

Make no mistake - we would be lucky to get a keeper of his quality and experience. I am crossing everything he returns.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Richinns wrote: 16 Jun 2017, 09:45 Poke as a number 2 at this level with our current circumstances? :-D

Make no mistake - we would be lucky to get a keeper of his quality and experience. I am crossing everything he returns.
just about to same the same Richinns - I don't know who ausgull expects as No.1! :-o =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SatNav
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by SatNav »

Does anybody know whether we are even in talks with Poke? Or are we speculating about something that probably won't happen?
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Is there any truth behind Poke returning?
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

Ausgull wrote: 16 Jun 2017, 06:13 Now that we know that Brendan Moore has left for Rochdale, Pokey would be a good no 2 keeper as you have to ask why did Woking release him.
He would not return as a number two.

He was on a wage that Woking felt could be beneficial going on the wage of 2 players? Bit like Brett Williams, maybe it was a mutual thing?
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Southampton Gull wrote: 15 Jun 2017, 11:40 Confidence isn't such a key issue, experience is in place and above all maturity. (Took me a lot longer admittedly)

I'm amazed that none of the wags here have jumped on this, honestly :)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by CP Gull »

Ausgull wrote: 16 Jun 2017, 06:13 Now that we know that Brendan Moore has left for Rochdale, Pokey would be a good no 2 keeper as [highlight=yellow]you have to ask why did Woking release him.[/highlight]
Not for the reason you might think, I would suggest. All the reports are that Poke had a fine season for Woking, and so I would suggest that the main reason for not offering him a new deal was probably a financial one rather than based on his ability. When you look at his career, Poke has I would imagine done very well financially, being signed to the likes of Southampton, Portsmouth, Brighton and yes even us (when as we know, he was one of the top earners in the "Bristow" years). But, as a consequence of securing a good financial deal for himself and his family, he has not really had much of a career, so to speak, with the highlight almost certainly being our Conference Play Off final success at Wembley against Cambridge all those years ago.

For the vast majority of his career in football, he has satisfied himself with being second, even third, choice at big clubs - the likes of Southampton, Portsmouth and Brighton - without ever getting anywhere near a starting berth. His choice, but the stark reality is that in a career that has spanned THIRTEEN seasons he has made only 175 appearances and a fair chunk of those - 119 by my reckoning - were made in the three seasons and a bit, he spent wth us - take away the 35 he made last season for Woking and you see that he has only ever been a regular starter for anyone in just FOUR of those THIRTEEN seasons!

Now, we don't know for certain whether Nicho is in talks with him, or not, but it is reasonable to assume that we might be given that 1/ He is a free agent and is available 2/ We need a goalkeeper and 3/ Nicho knows him well and knows his ability. But ultimately, it will probably come down to what we can reasonably afford to pay him within our wage structure and would Poke be prepared to play for the sort of money we could offer? On past form, you would say that Poke would probably go wherever the highest offer is, even if that meant he was a number two. But, that said, he may just have reached the stage of his career where being a number 1 at a club he knows well, playing for a Manager he knows well too, and living in (I am led to believe) an area that he likes ..... may just be more important to him than "chasing the money". Only Michael Poke knows the answer to that one!

Ultimately, if he was to sign for us, I think he would be a great addition and his experience could be used to great effect perhaps working with a young (and cheap) number two keeper (with potential) which is what I hope Nicho is looking at putting in place for next season.