Poke to return?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Poke to return?

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

well, I got shot down with sh1t on here when I mentioned this the first time he joined us...... and he did..... :) :na:

anyway, it has been mentioned to me......

disclaimer - don't shoot the feckin messenger.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Well he is currently without a club, Nicho knows him well from their time as players at TUFC and played at this level last year (with Woking) so it seemingly all adds up.

Of course this is less likely should Moore agree to return but with that up in the air perhaps Nicho is making other plans now.

May I ask who mentioned it to you?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Would be happy with this if true, always liked Pokey. I'd say he's as good as Moore for the reaction stuff, but much less mistake-prone. Only concern was that I remember he was slightly injury prone.

Without giving away your source, any guess on how likely this might be?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Dont think Poke would be an improvement on Moore, good shot stopper but thats the easy part of goalkeeping,
I mean Rice was brilliant at that, but unless he has improved, seem to remember him staying on his line a lot
and being a bit of a flapper
Milner33
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruairi Keating

Post by Milner33 »

I only want Poke if he is backup but want to stick with moore, I think Pokey is probably past it.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

past it at 31, decent keeper at this level , sign him up now.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Milner33 wrote: 14 Jun 2017, 17:55 I only want Poke if he is backup but want to stick with moore, I think Pokey is probably past it.
Past it at 31? On that basis, I presume you might think twice telling that to Neville southall
Lucy
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Jeff wrote: 14 Jun 2017, 11:14 Would be happy with this if true, always liked Pokey. I'd say he's as good as Moore for the reaction stuff, but much less mistake-prone. Only concern was that I remember he was slightly injury prone.

Without giving away your source, any guess on how likely this might be?
Dream on his last season with us was poor Moore was far better.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

arcadia wrote: 14 Jun 2017, 22:58 Dream on his last season with us was poor Moore was far better.
In the same way that Chaney is a stifled genius?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Poke is the more composed keeper. Better handling and better positional awareness. Moore will get better with experience but of the two I would take Poke all day long. The spine of the side is the most important, a good experienced keeper is vital.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Southampton Gull wrote: 14 Jun 2017, 23:55 a good experienced keeper is vital.
The absolute first component of any squad ~ and he has to be backed up by a competent number two and training partner. In my opinion, many of the failings of the past two seasons have started with having the wrong goalkeeper in place and since Christmas the fact that he has been singularly engaged has been foolish in the extreme.

Like Dave; I see very little comparison between Poke and Moore ~ Poke is far more suitable to be the number one keeper ~ with Moore being suitable as a back-up (which he might well now no longer relish) but if Poke were to be signed then a number two would be essential due to his career long tendency to succumb to injury.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Why was Poke released by Woking who finished below us ?
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Seeing as the whole premise of the offer to Moore was based on first team football (he can go to League 1 and be a back-up) I very much doubt he will sign on as the second keeper and making Poke a number 2 keeper is equally as unlikely. It is either one or the other.

Yes we need a second keeper to push the first choice but we can't afford two first choice keepers and Poke and Moore are exactly that at this level.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Agree with SG and Merse re Poke. Yes he was released by Woking, a side who probably have a better chance of making younger signings than ourselves due to location and proximity to a variety of bigger clubs, thus more players released. He's played regularly at this level and above in his career. He isn't perfect but then what player is at this level?

A spine of Poke, Gowling/McGinty, Young/?, Pittman/Keating looks a damn sight more experienced than it was last year.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Richinns wrote: 15 Jun 2017, 08:42 Seeing as the whole premise of the offer to Moore was based on first team football (he can go to League 1 and be a back-up) I very much doubt he will sign on as the second keeper and making Poke a number 2 keeper is equally as unlikely. It is either one or the other.

Yes we need a second keeper to push the first choice but we can't afford two first choice keepers and Poke and Moore are exactly that at this level.
Exactly this.

It reminds me of the season where we had both Scott Bevan and Danny Potter as our keepers, felt that we had far too good a number 2 there which potentially wasted a chunk of the budget.

Agree that it would be either Poke OR Moore, but not both (and maybe neither!), with a younger release-ee as back up. We've got away with it for far too long without having a backup keeper it simply has to bite us at some point