TUFC 2017/18 Squad

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 22 Jun 2017, 06:39 Birmingham
I know he was raised as a Brummie but he left there at 18 to join Brighton, moved after two seasons to join Torquay for three seasons. After five years away from mummy's nest I am not sure Birmingham is now classed as his daily home location although he will still have family in the area. It's not as if Macclesfield is that close to Brummie land either to make it a move of convenience
Milner33
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruairi Keating

Post by Milner33 »

According to Herald Nicho wants to bring in a Target Man and a Goalkeeper by the end of the week also, he wants a reserve goalkeeper whom is quite young.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I will now confess to being a tad concerned now. We seem to need a lot more players than most clubs. I fear we are going to have five or six trialists at least. Much as the first day of training/ match is always interesting as new names are involved I don't think on average the ultimate outcome is as good as if players are signed after being specifically targeted.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Milner33 wrote: 22 Jun 2017, 17:23 According to Herald Nicho wants to bring in a Target Man and a Goalkeeper by the end of the week also, he wants a reserve goalkeeper whom is quite young.
Slightly different to how I read it. A Keeper and left-back by the weekend and is on the lookout for a target man (which we seemingly have been since we sold Bliss!).
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Dazza wrote: 22 Jun 2017, 18:30 I will now confess to being a tad concerned now. We seem to need a lot more players than most clubs. I fear we are going to have five or six trialists at least. Much as the first day of training/ match is always interesting as new names are involved I don't think on average the ultimate outcome is as good as if players are signed after being specifically targeted.
Like Dazza, I am also becoming a little concerned about the lack of signings. Maybe we're being impatient, but other National League sides seem to be making useful signings - Ebbsfleet, for example, have signed a midfielder who was a regular for Blackpool last season. And yes - the outcome for signings is best for targeted players rather than hopeful triallists. I think we've had our fill in recent seasons of triallists who have been signed and have proved to be best employed in National North or South. Or lower.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

I did raise this a number of weeks ago - maybe not so bizarre now?
Jeff wrote: 31 May 2017, 06:32
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Three years ago we signed Angus MacDonald, Courtney Richards, Toby Ajala and Duane Ofiori-Acheampong after trials. They were amongst our better players and out performed the contracted players we took down with us (Pearce, Harding, Cameron etc). Three of them have either stayed at this level (earning more than here no doubt) or higher. We've also found some gems via trial, going back to Alex Russell, as well as rejecting Ryan Harley, off the top of my head.

If we sign a keeper and left back this week as mentioned, we'll have close to a first team signed up. The players we'd need, wide players and squad players, are usually those quite suited to trialling. As long as we have the bulk of the first team in place then I think a few trialists could be a chance to find a hidden player. Competing for known talent will only go so far on our budget.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Not too concerned. It's a poker game. Other clubs have shown their cards too early, of which we did last season. This season our approach has been prudent, players are now in limbo. Get that fishing rod out Nicholson.
Lucy
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

I see that Truro City have signed former Torquay United midfielder Ben Harding.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Patience guys patience. Nicho said he had learned from last season and i think he will do better each season. give him a chance.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Updated list:

GK - Clarke
GK -

LB -
LB -

CB - McGinty
CB - Gowling
CB - Anderson

RB - Higgins
RB -

CM - Lathrope
CM - Young
CM - Chaney
CM -

LW - Gosling
RW -
W -

ST - Keating
ST - *Pittman
ST -

*Although Pittman could be utilised as a winger depending on how Nicho sees it
TUST member 328
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Add Nicholson to that list and there's enough now for 6a-side in training.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Well the left-back due to arrive by the weekend seems to have not materialised. With 11 (12 if you count Nicho) only on the books you do have start feeling a little concerned that we may be missing many of our targets. You cannot but worry that preparations for next season will be affected by this (especially with the emphasis Nicho places on preparing each individual for the upcoming season).

Seeing as we are back in for the start of pre-season on Wednesday I am now expecting a plethora of trialists to rock up.
TUST member 328
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

wouldn't worry too much, as I reckon he will look at a few trialists, I'm hoping we may hear of a signing today.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Zippy wrote: 27 Jun 2017, 11:10 wouldn't worry too much, as I reckon he will look at a few trialists, I'm hoping we may hear of a signing today.
The problem with trialists is it is clear Nicho is not convinced enough to want to offer a contract (so may very well not be up to standard) and if they prove they are worth one we run the risk of losing them to another club who swoops in.
Is it just hope or some knowledge of an arrival today?
TUST member 328