More of Moore

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Gullscorer wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 11:46 Zippy did not advocate bringing in John Turner himself, nor anyone of his age, but 'someone like' him, even on a part-time basis, as being better than nothing.
Well the situation isn't 'nothing' as Kenny Griffiths fulfils that role to the best of his ability and availability but the club clearly HAS to accommodate the required staffing levels AND employ two goalkeepers.

To the best of my knowledge, no other National League club is running in this manner and if there is a serious deficit in the resources then it does not arise through the gates being what they are in comparison with other NL clubs but rather in it's total inertia in attempting other revenue streams or indeed anything in the close season player market that would trigger anything more than the loyalty driven trickle of interest in season tickets.

The club has gone into hibernation since the end of last season so let's stop being apologists for them!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Dont know much about Kenny Griffiths, but John Turner surely has a great deal of knowledge to pass on
even if his mobility is restricted so hardly a 'stupid comment'. I know he has been used in the past
Quite happy with Brendan Moore, Merse probably has seen him in a few away games only and maybe
he was not at his most convincing but in the 22 home games I saw he was a decent keeper who catches
most of the crosses he comes for, certainly more than previous keepers of ours who remain rooted to their line
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I think one of the main problems for Moore is one of perception. For every "worldie" save he makes that prevents a near-certain goal, he seems to drop an absolute clanger that causes one. A more "steady" keeper might not make the flashy, miracle saves but doesn't make the howlers either. Over a period of time both keepers concede the same amount of goals, but Moore is perceived to be worse has the mistakes stay more readily in the mind than the saves.

Just a theory. Nonplussed if he re-signs or not
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

ALAN, As I said someone like john, and I know john personally and to be honest he could still run rings around a lot of us, he certainly is far from being restricted in his mobility, do you have to criticise people every time they post something on here you don't agree with.
it was merely a suggestion that someone could help the club out, and I'm sure john could easily coach without running around.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Well get him down to TQ1 then because if they carry on with Moore dropping clangers, getting his starting position wrong and kick the feckin' ball into touch nearly every time he clears it then nothing will ever improve.

Sorry for any offence caused to either you or JT!

N.B. Anyone can run rings round me!!!! :|
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

As we all know goalkeeping is a specialized, and very lonely position to play in football, an outfield player makes a mistake, often the supporter in the stand doesn't always notice it, keeper drops a clanger, even the person who's never seen a game of football in his life knows what's happened.

I feel sorry for Moore, look the lad wants to make it in the game, and why shouldn't he, he gets the chance at Torquay and jumps at it, again why shouldn't he, but, whilst Merse may have certain posting style that doesn't always make him popular, he's right, there are club further down the food chain with less money than us, that have a more professional coaching set up.

Yes limited budget and location doesn't help, but is often a poxy excuse we all hide behind, for a start I could have put the club in touch with a keeper coach based in Weymouth, that has connections with the likes of Cardiff, Bristol City, Yoevil , and Spurs to name a few, so it begs the question, just how many fit for purpose keeper coach's are there based with 1-2 hours drive of our club, but then why should us fans be doing that when we have Geoff Harrop and all his so called contacts. Go out and find a bloody keeper coach, then Moore has the chance to improve his game, instead of compounding any technical deficiencies.

Moore is a shot stopper, there ten a penny, Moore does make that blinding save, and can concede a soft goal in the same game, over the course of a season he probably will cost you as many points in mistakes as he will save the team, by making that flashy save, after all some of the best keepers around, are so, because they rarely if ever have make a flashy save, because they command their area, and are good organizers of the back four.

Look if the club doesn't have the budget to source a better keeper, get Moore the help he needs to improve his kicking, judgement, communication etc.
Formerly known as forevertufc
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

A lone keeper in a club with no other goalie to keep him company or on his game is wasting his time in my opinion. He must know within himself how much his game has gone backwards since he arrived.

If the club cannot be arsed to go about things in the right and professional manner, I can't think what would possess the lad to want to stay anyway!
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

well what happened to kevin miller wasn't he helping out for a while. ps, none taken Alan!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Like desperado, I hope Brendon Moore signs. In my opinion, it is unfair to say that he will probably cost you 'as many points in mistakes as he will save the team'. True - he needs to command the area better and be more vocal, but as others have posted, I think he has the potential to be a league 'keeper. Most of us I think would agree that last season's back four were not as strong as the season before when we had Berry, Angus, Smith and Butler. Three of those went on to play regularly in league sides (sadly, Durrell Berry's career is threatened after that awful tackle at Dover). And yet our 'goals conceded' were far less last season. I feel that can be mainly attributed to Moore's performances.

I will be very surprised, and disappointed, if Nicho doesn't sign a back up keeper - either a permanent signing or a long-term loan arrangement.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Zippy wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 16:34 well what happened to kevin miller wasn't he helping out for a while.
Still listed as playing for Bodmin Town last season
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

merse btpir wrote: 03 Jun 2017, 21:48 What a stupid comment to make.........

As much as I know and like John; he is not a goalkeeping coach and his restricted mobility these days at the age of 62 would prevent him from being so.

Another one out of the 'he played for the club, he'll do' mentality that lumbered us with Hargreaves and Nicholson.
Very true merse sentiment does not qualify you for a position of trust and indeed not improve matters on the pitch.
Any position filled should be based on factors of merit and ' been at club as a player ' should not tick a box.
If I see a ex player doing well elsewhere ; great but again any ex employee wanting to do better for us should have Better credentials than the next suitable candidate.
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

Good signing.

I've just checked and HE DOESN'T HAVE A WIKIPEDIA PAGE. Someone on here must be able to sort this?!
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

You have to have played in the League to qualify for a wikipedia entry.
Tust member 191
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Mattpuma wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 22:01 You have to have played in the League to qualify for a wikipedia entry.
Not true. The pope has one and he was only an amateur.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Zippy wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 13:30 I said someone like john, and I know john personally and to be honest he could still run rings around a lot of us.
To give some substance to what you say; here is a veteran goalkeeping coach with whom I am familiar who is very highly spoken of up here.