Brett Williams Leaves

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Ouch - that's why I love reading Merse's posts. Whatever you think of Williams with Nico not playing him for half a season, the chances of him getting another contract were slim and no chance. And as we all know slim had left town ages ago.

On his day a talented player no doubt about it and Williams scored some cracking goals towards the end of the season. Losing three of our best players?

Not so sure about that though. Keating, Young and McGinty against Sparkes, Verma and Williams. Given the choice I would definitely take the former over the latter.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Verma is no loss aside from his flexibility but Sparkes and Williams were probably the two most talented players in our squad aside from Young. It's a blow, no two ways about it.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Think thats actually a fair posting by Merse , you cant carry players like Williams and you cant just rely on
one player to score, we need more from midfield to contribute for a start, a midfielder that actually makes
supporting runs and gets in the box would help !
Only upset about Sparkes leaving, think Verma was a bit a of fancy dan at times, a bit casual and could have worked
harder, I actually preferred him at right back
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

As always in football the sum total of the components is far more important than the constituent parts.

For all the ballyhoo over Williams and Sparkes they were part of a pretty awful team last season and don't even get me started on the one before.

For all that they produced last season, improving on that collective dross should be no problem for a competent manager ~ now do we have one?
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

Suddenly you are posing open questions of this nature Merse.! The sun must be shining in North London...
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

It is ; it is..........

My youngest are away with their mother's family for a long weekend and so I'm the ultimate single male chillin' in my own gaffe in mi shorts and tee shirt; listening to super based cool funk-jazz contemplating freshly cooked squid for tea then down to the pub next door for a pint or two of fine ale.....life doesn't get any cooler than that! :)
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Decent players who can score goals and decent forwards are rare in the National League. Kevin signed a player who reminded him of Berbatov and then was disappointed when Williams played like Berbatov. Hopefully Kevin has learned a few lessons that you can't change a player who is fully formed and that there's effort is no replacement for the ability to score goals.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

There is a guy at Tavistock who scores goals ( and is a significant part of their Penisula League championship -very well done to them- a Huddersfield of the ninth tier) but even he probably is not Berbatov.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Chelston TUFC »

the Tavistock player has scored lots of goals and has been someone who's been of interest to a few teams in the SW but has had some issues himself if it's the player I'm thinking of. He's definitely worth a trial.
Magpiegull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Magpiegull »

Seems you are probably talking about Glyn Hobbs. Prolific goalscorer but worth googling him to get an idea of his past!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Magpiegull wrote: 02 Jun 2017, 18:58 Seems you are probably talking about Glyn Hobbs. Prolific goalscorer but worth googling him to get an idea of his past!
Bit of a 'Jekyll and Hyde' persona! Age not on his side (30). Not sure it would be worth the risk. Must be better talent out there!
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Levi Landricombe of Tiverton?
TUST member 200 ;-)
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

A pic of Hobbs in Gulls kit - so has already had a trial?:

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/ex-conv ... story.html
TUST member 200 ;-)
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

torq2u wrote: 02 Jun 2017, 19:24 Levi Landricombe of Tiverton?
Netted a phenomenal 48 times in 52 appearances since joining Tivvy from Peninsula League side Plymouth Parkway. Supporters player of the year, managers player of the year - think he is about 27years. Seem to have a lot going for him, must be worth a look
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Are you aware of the depth of level this player plays at?

In his late twenties and playing at step 6 of the National League system is not a level that would suggest he could successfully play at step 1........this is little better than parks football with a rail around the pitch.

When I have suggested the manager looks at the couple of levels below step 1; I certainly do not recommend he looks this low and he won't be wasting his time doing that!