Brett Williams Leaves

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Brett Williams Leaves

Post by Dutchgull »

Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Not a surprise at all. Given that Nico never seemed to warm to him, it's unsurprising the boat wasn't pushed out for him on a new contract irrespective of his goal return.

I'm on the fence as to whether this is a disaster or not. Sure, Williams fired the goals at the end of the season that kept us up, but how much of that was "playing for a contract (elsewhere)" and he did turn in some utterly dreadful performances from August through until around February.

I'll hold my hands up, I didn't get to any games during the run in to see what Ruairi Keating was like but the general comments on here was hard working and had a bit about him. And clearly, given he has signed (or is it just agreed to sign?) he fits within whatever budget there is. Now if there is another version of him in KN's sights then maybe it's not all doom and gloom.

Time will tell.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I think Nico knows that despite his "top ten" budget he has to hit the ground running and can't afford a luxury player like Williams.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Southampton Gull wrote: 01 Jun 2017, 16:41 I think Nico knows that despite his "top ten" budget he has to hit the ground running and can't afford a luxury player like Williams.
But he is a luxury player who scores goals, even more so if played regularly! Looking at last season, yes our defence was a bit shakey at times but we had one of the lowest goal differences, especially in the bottom half and our problem was actually the top end of the pitch.. scoring goals!
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

wasn't he on the 'maybe' list - so wouldnt have been offered a contract at this time anyway?
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Southampton Gull wrote: 01 Jun 2017, 16:41 I think Nico knows that despite his "top ten" budget he has to hit the ground running and can't afford a luxury player like Williams.
Think your right on that one.

I see that McGinty has stated that "The gaffer is hoping to make some interesting new signings."

I wait in anticipation.

Any news on the other luxury goal scoring ace, the crowds favourite - Harrad
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Bleeper wrote: 01 Jun 2017, 16:57 But he is a luxury player who scores goals, even more so if played regularly! Looking at last season, yes our defence was a bit shakey at times but we had one of the lowest goal differences, especially in the bottom half and our problem was actually the top end of the pitch.. scoring goals!

No disagreement, he didn't exactly set the world alight at the beginning and got more bookings than goals, hence my description of him.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Great signal for perspective players

I'm filled with optimism
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I'm disappointed to see Williams and Sparkes leave the club as they're two of our best players. Say what you like about Brett's workrate, every club wants a a player who can score 15+ goals a season. We've just said goodbye to one.

The club needs to show some ambition rapidly.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

SBP wrote: 01 Jun 2017, 21:07 Maybe Harrops got a 30 goal striker hidden up his jumper??

He might do if he and Dave Hedges have been scouring the two levels below National League looking for one who values being a full-time professional footballer far more than the lazy, up his own arse and cancer of team degradation inducing idler who picked up more bookings than goals before Christmas and only sprung into life when the hard working Ruairi Keating arrived to do his work for him.

Brett Williams should be ashamed of himself for ever letting his reputation take shape in this manner. I predict he will find himself playing at a level below the one he has just been despatched from; maybe amongst the Whitehawks, Eastbournes or Havant & Waterloovilles of this world where he can combine part-time effort with part-time training and be a Billy Big Bollocks amongst the pygmies.

As far back as Woking in 2012 will you find criticism of Williams not pulling his weight and that 'sus' attitude carried on through spells at Aldershot, Stevenage and Forest Green Rovers; so what possessed Nicholson to think he could do what others had failed to do God only knows. But God loves a trier only this time the trier wasn't the player but the manager.

I thought Williams was a disgrace at the start of the season but could also see that with that silky manner of putting the ball away often from distance; he was a talent above the ordinary in the National League and there were glimpses that he could and should have been at least a League 1 striker.

But by Christmas the manager knew he had signed a 'wrong 'un' and I'll never forget Nicholson's reaction when Williams scored at Maidstone when he turned to the United fans behind him and exclaimed "he's a genius isn't he". Sarcastic? Self deprecating or purely a bitter exclamation that here he had a player who ~ if only he had pulled his weight ~ was one of the root causes for all the problems out there on the pitch that brought about the second successive struggle against disaster the result of his inexperienced management.

Let's hope that with the benefit of two years with an L plate on and the assistance of Harrop and Hedges; the club will now be managed in a manner fit for purpose to compete at this level and avoid any repetition of taking on wasters like Brett Williams
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Burnhamgull wrote: 01 Jun 2017, 20:31 I'm disappointed to see Williams and Sparkes leave the club as they're two of our best players. Say what you like about Brett's workrate, every club wants a a player who can score 15+ goals a season. We've just said goodbye to one.

We've signed one - Keating....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I take it you were not a fan of Brett then Merse. Did you write this character assassination because it would be too conspicuous to pierce your target with a bullet?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Burnhamgull wrote: 01 Jun 2017, 20:31 I'm disappointed to see Williams and Sparkes leave the club as they're two of our best players. Say what you like about Brett's workrate, every club wants a a player who can score 15+ goals a season. We've just said goodbye to one.

that's all well and good mate, but we (as a club in dire straits) need it from game 1 not 2 months from the end of the season.
Give me Keating any time.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

We struggled last season and now we have lost three of our best players.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

As was always likely Arcadia. One of the three wasn't even on the retaining list. You link the players leaving with last year's sruggle. The relevant part of the equasion is who replaces them.