Sparkes and Verma leave

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Sparkes and Verma leave

Post by Jeff »

Turned down contracts, according to OS

http://mobile.torquayunited.com/news/ar ... 25740.aspx
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

No surprises really.. gutted to see Sparkes leave and supposedly been of interest to Leyton Orient but not really crying about seeing Verma go, yes he was versatile but was never a stand out player

Good luck to them both
chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

This is quite a loss, and although in both cases, "family reasons" were quoted, I wonder how much it also had to do with wages. If thats the case, then this does not bode well for the quality of footballer that we can attract to Torquay.
If only we had more income from a good cup run --oh , I forgot, we should not distract our squad by even trying to get further in the Trophy or FA Cup !!!
Back to the loss of two team stalwarts, all I can add is "bugger".
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Gutted about Sparkes.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Not bothered by either going to be honest.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

chestertorkyman wrote: 26 May 2017, 14:55 This is quite a loss, and although in both cases, "family reasons" were quoted, I wonder how much it also had to do with wages.
Probably a case of the money on offer no longer justified their continued absence from their families.
I imagine the only reason we got young was because his injury record makes him unattractive to other teams.
As you say "oh bugger".
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

players move on and better ones come in, its football, we have been at the bottom for two seasons for a reason so clearly a new squad is needed.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

chestertorkyman wrote: 26 May 2017, 14:55 If thats the case, then this does not bode well for the quality of footballer that we can attract to Torquay.
Nonesense, sources tell me that Gerring and Duke are still on the market.

I was under the impression that the 7 players offered new contracts would be so lucrative as to be difficult to turn down. Obviously its a case of we are here for the freehold of Plainmoor not to pay players wages.

So out of the core nucleus of 7 squad players being offered contracts two have signed and two have decline. Even if two of the remaining three (Moore, McGinty, Richards) sign that leaves us with 4 core players to make up our promotion chasing team. ( Chaney and Lathrope ? not worth mentioning).

I shall try to hold fire on negative comments as I am sure Dave Hedges Head of Recruitment is going to earn his 'bucks' by announcing he has made some wonder signings for next seasons promotion push. Because at the moment things look a bit like another year of struggle. Is it all down to budget, of course not, Osbourne has told us we have a top 10 budget.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

brucie wrote: 26 May 2017, 15:01 Not bothered by either going to be honest.
In fairness how many playing minutes of Sparkes have you witnessed? He is a big loss IMO
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I think Sparkes was above the level we are at and if we had a decent striker he would have had a hefty number more assists then he got last year (which was still a decent a return).
Verma was the perfect player for a small squad and did a decent job wherever he played. I also think he will be hard to replace as although he was never a weekly stand out player you always got a 7/10 performance from him (in a number of positions).

Gutted both are leaving to be honest
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Zippy wrote: 26 May 2017, 16:09 players move on and better ones come in, its football, we have been at the bottom for two seasons for a reason so clearly a new squad is needed.
But that's the problem Zippy - better players don't come in. How many times have we got excited about new players and then after a few weeks into the season, come to realise that they are no better than the players they have replaced ? I'm with Richinns - I'm sorry to see both Sparkes and Verma leave.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Zippy wrote: 26 May 2017, 16:09players move on and better ones come in, its football, we have been at the bottom for two seasons for a reason so clearly a new squad is needed.
I agree; they're just common or garden National League players at the end of the day neither that good nor that bad ~ good luck to both of them but always remember there is only so much living away from home and out of a suitcase in a closed down out of season and past it's sell-by date holiday resort any young man will tolerate.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Stop it Alan, you're making me home sick... :'(
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Perhaps they were offered contracts as our new keepers and couldn't decide who would be number 1?

Cap'n Courtney next?
TUST member 200 ;-)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

merse btpir wrote: 26 May 2017, 18:09 I agree; they're just common or garden National League players at the end of the day neither that good nor that bad ~ good luck to both of them
....... and more than likely they will be replaced by 'common or garden National League players' because that is all our playing budget will allow.