F A Trophy

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

F A Trophy

Post by chestertorkyman »

What a cracking match at Wembley. Smashing advert for Non-league footy with good play from Macclesfield and York. Screaming 4th goal for Macc to equalise. :keepie: :keepie:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

More a feeling of get knocked out of this tournament ASAP. The last 2 winners have been relegated
Lucy
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

lucy6lucy wrote: 21 May 2017, 18:28 More a feeling of get knocked out of this tournament ASAP. The last 2 winners have been relegated
That's a pathetic comment. The whole point about sport is to compete. When teams deliberately field weakened sides in cup competitions they are both disrespecting the game and the supporters who pay to watch them.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 21 May 2017, 19:36 That's a pathetic comment. The whole point about sport is to compete. When teams deliberately field weakened sides in cup competitions they are both disrespecting the game and the supporters who pay to watch them.
Easy tiger

Lucy has a good point. When you're at our level with a minimal number squad wise the difference between relegation could very realistically be a cup run which diverts attention from a relegation fight.

I agree with her. When we can barely fill our bench the FA Trophy is not priority. Remaining a full time National League club is.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 21 May 2017, 19:36 That's a pathetic comment. The whole point about sport is to compete. When teams deliberately field weakened sides in cup competitions they are both disrespecting the game and the supporters who pay to watch them.
It's not an argument that applies to Torquay United; a club that can't progress in cup ties for toffee. :@
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Richinns wrote: 21 May 2017, 19:46 Easy tiger

Lucy has a good point. When you're at our level with a minimal number squad wise the difference between relegation could very realistically be a cup run which diverts attention from a relegation fight.

I agree with her. When we can barely fill our bench the FA Trophy is not priority. Remaining a full time National League club is.
The only problem with your argument is that we went out of both cup competitions at the earliest opportunity and still nearly got relegated.
chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

Well the Macc and York fans had a wonderful day in London, taking huge numbers from their towns, (attendance 37,000) showing that this event does catch the public's attention if you can get to Wembley. So, fan satisfaction, significant prize money, television coverage and money, regenerated interest in the club...etc etc. Surely this is exactly the sort of thing Torquay should be aiming at and we would do well to give it a much better crack next season. We have proved we can beat anyone in the division, so please get rid of the negativity on this Nicho.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

chestertorkyman wrote: 21 May 2017, 22:00Well the Macc and York fans had a wonderful day in London, taking huge numbers from their towns, (attendance 37,000) showing that this event does catch the public's attention if you can get to Wembley.
Well the attendance for a double header was 38,224 of which some 14,000 came from South Shields to support their side in the FA vase Final that preceded it. I think this picture of the teams leaving the field for half-time in the trophy suggests that not many of them hung around for the second game.......

Spot the crowd at Wembley today
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I suspect Lucy's comment was tongue-in-cheek.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

After the 2nd round the games are on saturdays so if you reach the semis 4 postponements to fit in midweek
plus any you lose to the weather and you have a problem esp with a squad the size of ours !
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I meant a saturdays when there is a scheduled league match , I know the first two rounds are saturday as well !
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

desperado wrote: 22 May 2017, 08:04 After the 2nd round the games are on saturdays so if you reach the semis 4 postponements to fit in midweek
plus any you lose to the weather and you have a problem esp with a squad the size of ours !
The same applies to the FA cup, but nobody would suggest we deliberately ditch that, although we have not been good enough to scrape through even one tie recently.

I know we are not the only club whose supporters view the trophy negatively but none the less I am disappointed by the attitude, just as I am about those views who regard the play-offs as a bad thing rather than seeing it as a potential pathway back to the EFL since TUFC are unlikely to be in a position to win the NL anytime soon.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

threelittlepiglets wrote: 22 May 2017, 10:46 Agreed, totally enjoyable and a smashing advert for non-league football.
it maybe a "smashing advert" but the facts are - as far as TUFC are concerned, we have a thin squad and the emphasis has to be national league status,whether we just about survive as we have done, or finish higher up the table.
whose position would you prefer this morning? Us or York City??
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I don't think we should be screwing our nose up at a competition that can provide us with some much need funds....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com