Wayne Thomas

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Tired Old Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Smith

Wayne Thomas

Post by Tired Old Gull »

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I was part of his sponsor team here when he played for us. The Gloucester gulls always tried to sponsor Gloucester based players. Wayne struck me as a well balanced lad. very intelligent and read the game so well. I thought he would do well in his career and now seeing him start his managerial career at the bottom I think he will do well. I wonder what some might think of him succeeding Nico one day. give it a few years i can see Nico being poached by another team as he has a knack of doing the impossible. its inevitable that people move on at some point in their careers. would love to see Wayne given a chance at Torquay.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I think Nico is safe where he is - Truro have a manager at the moment.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Wayne Thomas will be welcomed at the Turnbull Ground (Whitby Town) next season, not least by me. He is one of the very few TUFC players I can endorse after our (TUFC) relegation in 1972. Rushall Olympic (near Walsall had a fair season last time and can be expected to be at least mid-table in the coming season.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Well you live and learn; I always thought that Rushall was in Northants and hence Olympic were out of their 'hood playing in the Northern League. Despite once living in and being familiar with the Black Country, I never realised they were located just north of Walsall.......

As recently as the last decade they played in the Southern League Division One West having risen from the West Midland (Regional) League. They were then transferred to the Southern League Division One Midlands for the 2006–07 season where they stayed for two years, qualifying for the playoffs in their last season by finishing 5th.

Due to the restructuring of Northern Premier League Division One, they were transferred yet again to the NPL Division One South for the 2008–09 season where they again finished 5th and qualified for the playoffs....now they are just one step from the National League ~ where they could be placed in either North or South ~ and how I would love to see Wayne get them there.

Good luck to him and a good example of how to build a managerial career instead of just taking an illogical punt at the very difficult job of managing a Football League/National League club as your starting off point and just because you might have played for it once gifted by buffoons who have even less idea how to manage one from the boardroom.........I'm sure Wayne Thomas will be in the managerial game long after Chris Hargreaves has been axed by BT Sport because he has the humility to get his sleeves rolled up and learn the trade rather than pose in tight trousers!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

I remember Wayne Thomas, when he played for South Liverpool. He was a legend for them, regrettably South Liverpool went bankrupt, and the ground is now a new railway station, "Liverpool south Parkway "
Lucy
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

That's not 'our' Wayne Thomas though is it
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

merse btpir wrote: 22 May 2017, 19:58 That's not 'our' Wayne Thomas though is it
Either way, they both did well in their careers in the lower leagues
Lucy
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Hargreaves turn to get a pasting now is it.....?
He may not last as a pundit, but has a good reputation as a coach, ask Eddie Howe, Exeter and Bristol Rovers
and could have made a good manager in time
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

desperado wrote: 23 May 2017, 08:03 Hargreaves turn to get a pasting now is it.....?
He may not last as a pundit, but has a good reputation as a coach, ask Eddie Howe, Exeter and Bristol Rovers
and could have made a good manager in time
He took the job with absolutely no experience or qualification do so; he took the club out of the Football League; he's never got another managerial job and is unlikely to again.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Can you blame him for taking the job ?
Think Alan Knill was also a lot to blame for taking us down ! When Hargreaves took over just over half the season
had gone and we were already in the bottom two , tough enough job for an experienced manager, fair enough to
blame the people who offered him the job. I like to remember him as a player who gave everything for us in every
game, not many you can say that about, not a manager who couldnt make the play offs in his first full season
Just because you haven't been able to get into tight trousers for 40 years !