Brucie V Dave - This time its personal!! ;)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Alpine Joe wrote: 20 May 2017, 12:06 Hector Torregull had just one-sidedly drawn attention to how well these clubs had done under Community ownership, but where was your demand that he balance his comments by also mentioning Trust owned clubs doing less well ?, or maybe adding a link to let us know it's not a big wide world of unending praise for Supporters Trusts ? Bolton Wanderers

While not asking for or expecting a level playing field, if the spectrum of allowable opinion continues to be drawn ever tighter, then will TUST actually benefit if every dissenting voice is silenced ? Whether it's having to jump through hoops such as being issued with a set of questions to correctly answer, or to have to routinely endure the personal attacks as threelittlepigs does, should he wish to express his viewpoint, or as you'll no doubt have noticed, the 'tampering' with my account at TFF, it's all mild intimidation targeted specifically at those who dare deviate from the approved opinion.

If you truly want balance then demand it from all. The more likely outcome from the current actions we witness is that the scales will be tipped totally in one direction; but the Forums will ultimately be all the poorer for it.
The same member who constantly attacks other posters and then reacts like a big girl when the sentiment is returned?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Modgull wrote: 21 May 2017, 11:46 And you forgot to mention that Henry Slade, who made the win possible with that fantastic penalty kick to the corner, is a former Ivybridge RFC player!
Absolutely correct though as an Ivybridge resident and attender at Cross in Hand the home of the excellent local rugby club (Henry's brother still plays for them and the parents are regular spectators) I had it well in mind. Another former Ivybridge player yesterday was Ben Spencer a Saracens replacement.

As you said Henry's 40 yards penalty kick into the corner only 5 yards or so from the Sarries line was sublime being under so much pressure with a gusty swirling wind and only seconds left on the clock.Wonderful! =D
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Kernowgull wrote: 21 May 2017, 11:13 I have taken the missus to the Chiefs, despite really being a Pirates fan, and it's a great day out, she loved it. I've taken her to Torquay twice, and she won't go again. As she is not overly in to either sport, it's the experience which won her over at Sandy Park. The two times I took her to Torquay games were in Lings play off season, so it's not even that we were in the pits of doom at the time.

I will always take in a couple Torquay games a season, but if I'm off somewhere as a neutral, I'll always choose rugby, as the day out is Just so much more enjoyable. I went to Bath v Gloucester (admittedly in hospitality) and it was a superb day out. Football (TUFC particularly) have so much to learn.

Having said that, I'm off to Malaga v Real Madrid today, so I'll see how the Spanish do it!!
Not really a true comparison of the two sports though is it?

Chiefs (and Bath) compete at the very pinnacle of their sport, Torquay play four levels below that. Take in a rugby game at a similar level and I am fairly sure it wouldn't compare to a Chiefs game either.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I would say the comparison was based on the experience of going, not the sports themselves ;-)
Dave

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Did Exeter win? Really who cares? I watch the England International games but in reality that's it. The game is basically a farce with convoluted rules that no one basically has a clue what goes on from one play to the next. Just look at the England v Italy game - what a farce that turned out to be.

As for club rugby - well I wouldn't cross the road to watch that either. I've watched about two minutes of it on Sky Sports and find it lacks the intensity of the internationals. Comparing Exeter Chiefs to watching football is just daft - you just cannot compare the two, cause you can't compare an apple to a cauliflower.

Does that mean Exeter have won the League? or do they still make the rules up as they go along every week? What do Exeter exactly have to do with Red Indians anyway - is there a connection?

Mind you there is one thing more boring than watching club rugby, and that's listening to it on the radio with that fecker John Lockyer creaming himself when Exeter get a penalty. And he's got it...what a kick that's Exeter 57-3 up.

I mean really. Who cares.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

brucie wrote: 21 May 2017, 21:21 What do Exeter exactly have to do with Red Indians anyway - is there a connection?
Of course there is; the Ancestral Puebloan culture was in full flow in the village of Ide as long ago as 2006 which is why they carry that ridiculous moniker. Not as ridiculous as Exeter Chefs as I at first thought they were called which I assumed was inspired by the proliferation of the little feckers all the way up the road to Lunnon' over Salisbury Plain.

Mind you round 'ere we have the unedifying spectacle of grown men ~ the Ruperts we call 'em ~ making prats of themselves going off to Rugga sporting the fez and stick on fake moustaches.

There was I minding my own business waiting for the 221 & this bunch of Ruperts came by
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

brucie wrote: 21 May 2017, 21:21 Did Exeter win? Really who cares? I watch the England International games but in reality that's it. The game is basically a farce with convoluted rules that no one basically has a clue what goes on from one play to the next. Just look at the England v Italy game - what a farce that turned out to be.

As for club rugby - well I wouldn't cross the road to watch that either. I've watched about two minutes of it on Sky Sports and find it lacks the intensity of the internationals. Comparing Exeter Chiefs to watching football is just daft - you just cannot compare the two, cause you can't compare an apple to a cauliflower.

Does that mean Exeter have won the League? or do they still make the rules up as they go along every week? What do Exeter exactly have to do with Red Indians anyway - is there a connection?

Mind you there is one thing more boring than watching club rugby, and that's listening to it on the radio with that fecker John Lockyer creaming himself when Exeter get a penalty. And he's got it...what a kick that's Exeter 57-3 up.

I mean really. Who cares.
The drama of the last 5 minutes at Sandy Park yesterday matched anything, in any sport, anywhere. It was breathtaking and your two minutes viewing of club rugby hardly qualifies you to judge whether it is as intense as the international game. On your doorstep is probably the most intense club side in the country.

Exeter Chiefs get their name from the historical nickname the first XV were called for many years - which was Chiefs. In the way many rugby teams had Chiefs, Quins etc nicknames for the first, second, third teams etc this was the same for Exeter. They just adopted it for a formal name.

There are lots of daft names: you don't see many Sharks swimming around Greater Manchester as in Sale Sharks, nor Rhinos in Leeds.

I enjoy watching rugby pretty much as much as I enjoy watching football, sometimes more. The matchday experience at Sandy Park pisses all over the experience at Plainmoor.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Indeed, I may not have made my point particularly well, but I'm on holiday, and just watched Real clinch the title, quite some atmosphere!!

I was purely talking about the match day experience, and whilst yes Exeter and Bath are at the top of the game, what they do to engage the youngsters, and get people there hours before spending money on booze, food and merchandise would be quite easy to replicate at Plainmoor, with Boots and Laces and the big green next to it. Get the kids there, sell beer to the mums and dads. Going to Plainmoor, and a lot of football feels too formal, going to rugby feels like a day out to have a good time, and if the rugby is bad, most people still have a good day. I'll admit that very rarely does the intensity and huge highs you get at football happen in rugby, although I've seen it a few times, particularly England, but you never come away completely pissed off, soured weekend, toxic atmosphere. And I've also watched rugby at Laiceston, Clifton, Dings Crusders, Keynsham and others. They are much smaller than Torquay but feel far more enjoyable as a neutral.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Kernowgull wrote: 21 May 2017, 22:47

you never come away completely pissed off, soured weekend, toxic atmosphere.
I would guess this is because you don't have the same emotional connection as you do with TUFC? It doesn't ruin your weekend if they lose because you don't care as much.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Kernowgull wrote: 21 May 2017, 22:47I was purely talking about the match day experience, and whilst yes Exeter and Bath are at the top of the game, what they do to engage the youngsters, and get people there hours before spending money on booze, food and merchandise would be quite easy to replicate at Plainmoor, with Boots and Laces and the big green next to it. Get the kids there, sell beer to the mums and dads.
Hallelujah!

Something I have been banging on about for years; and for years this important revenue stream has been woefully neglected. It's no use Clarke Osborne pointing out the inadequacies of Plainmoor when he has totally failed to utilise what the club does have for six months of ownership now and don't even get me started on the previous regimes.

In short; Torquay United do not even begin to attempt to try in this field of sports hospitality and marketing. There's an element of contributors in here who love to deride Eastleigh, but how many of them ~ and previous board embers of TUFC for that matter ~ have ever really taken a look at what they do so well up there and that is engage the families to get along to the ground early, become part of the club and spend more money than the entrance fee alone?

I was in the boardroom at Bromley the season before this as part of the match ball sponsor's package and suggested to a member of the then board of Torquay United that he step outside from stuffing his face with free food and walk around, observe and learn from how that little club were outgunning his in every sense of the word when it came to those fields and predictably he declined. Didn't want to know or even appear to care.

The much moaned about 'low playing budget' could be that much more if the people charged with the responsibility of running this club accepted those responsibilities with enthusiasm and proactivity; instead we have what we have and it's STILL crying out for a kick up the arse!
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Kernowgull »

Probably plays a part, but would you say that any neutrals would enjoy that experience and be tempted back? (In response to Jerry, not Merse!!)
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Kernowgull »

Gullscorer wrote: 22 May 2017, 00:24 Sell more booze and food. Provide more toilets.. :-/
Oh, and a crèche for the players.. :(
Well as there are currently zero people being attracted to Plainmoor between 10am and midday on match days, I'm sure the toilet facilities in place will cope.

And if by players you mean kids that come along, then yes there would be effectively a creche, as that's the entertainment prior to match build up.

Bring in 100 kids in the morning, each brings a minimum of 1 parent, that's a minimum of 100 pints, and 200 meals sold. Get them excited each week, look after them, get them back after the match for food and games/competitions and the parents come back. Do the green area up outside with some deck chairs, music, big screen and projector and bbq (weather permitting).

There should be local bands in boots immediately after the game, and a subtle compere, telling everyone what the evening has in store. A little quiz or competition with a decent prize to be decided at half time in the late kick off to get people to hang around to watch the Sky/BT game in B&L. Once they've stayed for the first half, they'll definitely stay for the second, then the band starts playing at full time. I reckon you'd have a 100 plus people there every week. Meanwhile throughout, you advertise watching the Monday night, Tuesday night, Champions League, Europa League etc games at B&L. You put on midweek open mike nights, quizzes, have a juke box, you effectively try and make it people's local.

Thousands of pubs around the country put on free sausage and chips for kids teams on a Saturday afternoon because they know if they can get the kids there the parents will spend a fortune on booze. Hell, put on a minibus to take the locals home after. I know the club invites local teams from time to time and schools to sit in the family stand, but they need to get them in the bar afterwards. There's enough space that the few that use it already needn't be put off.

I know that Andy Candy has tried quizzes and things but it can't be a one off, it needs to be the standard every week. It will take time to catch on but people need to feel that going to Plainmoor isn't 230pm til 5pm, but is 10am til 10pm.

Most importantly it needs to be done well, it may take a bit of money, but I'd wager not a great deal, without costing it out (no I'm not a Tory, just drunk on holiday). Even if it only broke even it'd be great PR for the club.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I like your suggestions. But my thoughts were that, logically, the more food that is eaten and certainly the more booze that's drunk, then the more toilets will be needed for a few hours afterwards. And if players are going to bring their babies and toddlers to matches, then a crèche will be needed, though I'd rather they left them at home.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

merse btpir wrote: 21 May 2017, 23:54 Hallelujah!

Something I have been banging on about for years; and for years this important revenue stream has been woefully neglected. It's no use Clarke Osborne pointing out the inadequacies of Plainmoor when he has totally failed to utilise what the club does have for six months of ownership now and don't even get me started on the previous regimes.

In short; Torquay United do not even begin to attempt to try in this field of sports hospitality and marketing. There's an element of contributors in here who love to deride Eastleigh, but how many of them ~ and previous board embers of TUFC for that matter ~ have ever really taken a look at what they do so well up there and that is engage the families to get along to the ground early, become part of the club and spend more money than the entrance fee alone?

I was in the boardroom at Bromley the season before this as part of the match ball sponsor's package and suggested to a member of the then board of Torquay United that he step outside from stuffing his face with free food and walk around, observe and learn from how that little club were outgunning his in every sense of the word when it came to those fields and predictably he declined. Didn't want to know or even appear to care.

The much moaned about 'low playing budget' could be that much more if the people charged with the responsibility of running this club accepted those responsibilities with enthusiasm and proactivity; instead we have what we have and it's STILL crying out for a kick up the arse!
I've been trying to tell people this for years now. Eastleigh have not just sprung up on the back of someones money, they've been building this for the best part of 30 years.

If you drive by their ground on a daily basis as I do, you'd see a thriving and flourishing football club engaging the locals in all different types of activities. The car parks are always full, there is always groups of people waiting to use the facilities and it's just a general hub of activity. I took Scott there during one of his visits and I think he was shocked at just how busy the place was at 8:30 in the morning. It isn't hard to see what they're doing right as well as it isn't hard to see what we've been doing wrong.

As I forecast they have massively overtaken our average gates and on the back of success for Southampton FC they've cornered a section of die-hard Saints fans who, like a friend of mine, appreciate the more relaxed and caring attitudes towards customers. Not bad for a "pub side".
Dave