If GI fail getting the freehold...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

If GI fail getting the freehold...

Post by lucy6lucy »

Only you know the answer to this.
Lucy
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

threelittlepiglets wrote: 17 May 2017, 09:28 If GI do fail in getting the freehold would they want a fast exit from TUFC?

[highlight=yellow]We know there are not the buyers if anything is to be taken from the most rescent sale attempt.[/highlight]

If as I believe GI have already had to invest to keep the club going, in addition the original loan, would they in effect allow the club to dissolve.

The problem for me is that I can't see which is best and which is worst case.

No doubt will be a shakey few months...
I don't think that's correct.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Bomber »

threelittlepiglets wrote: 17 May 2017, 09:28 If GI do fail in getting the freehold would they want a fast exit from TUFC?

We know there are not the buyers if anything is to be taken from the most rescent sale attempt.

If as I believe GI have already had to invest to keep the club going, in addition the original loan, would they in effect allow the club to dissolve.

The problem for me is that I can't see which is best and which is worst case.

No doubt will be a shakey few months...
They could allow the club to slide towards Administration rather than dissolve in the first instance, but that would mean they would be forced to accept in the region of 10p in the pound or less for their original investment.

I would imagine that they would want to recoup as much of their original investment as possible, I'm not sure how realistic that would be though.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I've no idea who you are, but if (as has been insinuated by others) you are in some way involved with the chancers in charge of the club, that sounds an awful lot like a veiled threat?

For what it's worth, I'd rather the club was dissolved and start again 10 levels below where it currently is than let a prospector use it as a vehicle for his own gain. Just my opinion though.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 17 May 2017, 11:14 I don't think that's correct.
I know it isn't ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Fonda wrote: 17 May 2017, 12:04 I've no idea who you are, but if (as has been insinuated by others) you are in some way involved with the chancers in charge of the club, that sounds an awful lot like a veiled threat?

For what it's worth, I'd rather the club was dissolved and start again 10 levels below where it currently is than let a prospector use it as a vehicle for his own gain. Just my opinion though.
Not just yours mate!
Dave

Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

The important thing to realise is this. If GI fail to get the freehold of plainmoor then there is still somewhere for a football team representing the town of Torquay to play.
It doesn't matter if it is TUFC or a reincarnation, the fact is we will still have a football ground. If we fail to protect the ground then I cannot see professional football ever returning to the bay.
As for a new stadium, I honestly do not think that will ever happen; anyway there is nothing wrong with plainmoor that couldn't be fixed with a bit of imaginative business know how.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Southampton Gull wrote: 17 May 2017, 12:07 Not just yours mate!
:) We've always agreed on everything Dave!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

.......and so the predictable spectre of blackmail and threat come to play. Didn't take long did it!

What's the next one threelittlepiglets ~ the knock on the door? :|
ACW2IOW
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by ACW2IOW »

It would appear that Osborne and Masters could well now be going their separate ways!

White Tigers’ Chairman, Peter Masters, and Torquay United owner, Clarke Osborne, have also been in talks.
“Both Truro and Torquay can have certainty about plans going forward,” admitted Mr. Masters. “There is no longer any chance of Truro City sharing with Torquay United.
“All the talks have been amicable and there’s no bad feeling anywhere. We both felt it would be the best thing for both clubs.
“The National League was not keen on us ground-sharing with Torquay anyway and wanted us to find a Cornish alternative.”
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Fonda wrote: 17 May 2017, 12:33 :) We've always agreed on everything Dave!
I'm finding it hard to post anything these days because I'm agreeing with just about everyone that I've spent years arguing with. It's just not natural ;-)
Dave

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote: 17 May 2017, 14:27 [highlight=yellow]I'm finding it hard to post anything these days because I'm agreeing with just about everyone that I've spent years arguing with. It's just not natural ;-)[/highlight]
arr Dave that's so nice......
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

There are two half-decent options:

First, GI could cut their losses and simply sell the club for whatever they can get for it; or

Secondly, they could give up their desire to buy the Plainmoor freehold, and concentrate on investing in (a) developing the potential at Plainmoor for increased revenue streams (and even increasing the ground capacity), and (b) the playing staff and the team, to get it moving into the Football League and eventually establishing it in League One. Once this is achieved, it may not be necessary to acquire Plainmoor's freehold in order to obtain funding for a new stadium; better to buy the ground for the new stadium at an appropriate time. Obviously this would be a long-term approach where the focus of a five-year plan would be shifted more towards the football and Plainmoor's potential (which has been neglected in recent years), but that would be no bad thing. Thereafter, a new stadium, increased revenues, and (why not) Championship football !
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

I think we can be reasonably confident that if GI aren't given the go-ahead on the ground, their next 'plan' will be an exit strategy. And any threats of what that might mean are futile - it will still be better than the club being homeless.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

What we also must be aware of is there might be other options available now - the parting of the ways between Mr Smurthwaite and Port Vale potentially being one. I am not sure on the latest regarding this and whether he has actually sold the club as yet but if there were no other options at the time GI walked in (something which has been evidenced to perhaps be incorrect anyway) then there may be come the time GI decide to move on if thwarted in their plans.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/