Keeping Our Eye on the Ball

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Wow! That's amazing news. Plainmoor is safe, at least for the time being.

I've always said that if GI build a state of the art fandango bells and whistles stadium fit for league one football with a car park and nearby station I'll be as pleased as punch. Hopefully, because of their past record, GI will have realised that they will need to do it without owning the freehold and have it ready and waiting for the Gulls when they leave Plainmoor. It will be interesting to see what they have in mind.

At least the message got through to the Mayor and GI that Torquay fans will not be walked over.

It will be interesting to see how this is reported in the Herald!

COYY!
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

by merse btpir

[/quote]I absolutely agree that this is a battle won but not the war.

[highlight=yellow]Let's see the club ownership making proper use of the current ground and facilities in the meantime and show us that they really mean business because we haven't seen anything like that yet![/highlight]
[/quote]

:goodpost:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Yes - good news indeed. But beware Clarke Osborne's wording as reported. " ....... that the process should be postponed until comprehensive PLANS for new facilities are in place". NOT when the new facilities are up and running. Merse is right. This battle may have been won, but not the war.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Until such time as Osborne and co. are sent packing I will remain hugely cynical about this. Reading the statement there is nothing to give us comfort that the Council have laid the law down and absolutely crucially there is no indication that GI will be forced to BUILD the new stadium before getting any land. Instead it smacks to me of just another attempt to pacify the restless natives and give GI and Oliver time to further advance their plans behind closed doors.

However, it's great to see that our efforts are having some impact and full credit to everyone for their digging and publicising of what really going on here. It is going to take more than headlines, cleverly worded statements, false promises of fans forums and manufactured pre-recorded Q&A interviews to pull the wool over, as those poor fans at Osborne's previous ventures suffered.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

knightmaregull wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 20:59 Until such time as Osborne and co. are sent packing I will remain hugely cynical about this. Reading the statement there is nothing to give us comfort that the Council have laid the law down and absolutely crucially there is no indication that GI will be forced to BUILD the new stadium before getting any land. Instead it smacks to me of just another attempt to pacify the restless natives and give GI and Oliver time to further advance their plans behind closed doors.

[highlight=yellow]However, it's great to see that our efforts are having some impact and full credit to everyone for their digging and publicising of what really going on here[/highlight]. It is going to take more than headlines, cleverly worded statements, false promises of fans forums and manufactured pre-recorded Q&A interviews to pull the wool over, as those poor fans at Osborne's previous ventures suffered.
Credit should also go to the guys at TUST who, for the purposes of keeping their powder dry, are quietly working behind the scenes.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

knightmaregull wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 20:59 Until such time as Osborne and co. are sent packing I will remain hugely cynical about this. Reading the statement there is nothing to give us comfort that the Council have laid the law down and absolutely crucially there is no indication that GI will be forced to BUILD the new stadium before getting any land. Instead it smacks to me of just another attempt to pacify the restless natives and give GI and Oliver time to further advance their plans behind closed doors.
This is exactly how I read the situation. We still need to be on the ball at all times until GI go away.
oldcommsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldcommsboy »

To be clear, we only have a stay of 6 months. Clarke Osborne's statement in the article says he looks forward to 'sharing our ideas with the Mayor and outlining plans later this year'.

We need to keep up the pressure.

Chris
Chris
TUST member 479
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Mr. Osborne and his Company Gaming International can come up with the best plan for a New Stadium in the history of mankind BUT I hope Mr. Osborne understands by now that he and GIL lack any kind of credibility given there track record.

This is the problem and I simply do not see a solution. GI can promise the world but with there history no one is going to believe them. Sorry to be so very negative.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

portugull wrote: 29 Jun 2017, 09:02 Mr. Osborne and his Company Gaming International can come up with the best plan for a New Stadium in the history of mankind BUT I hope Mr. Osborne understands by now that he and GIL lack any kind of credibility given there track record.

This is the problem and I simply do not see a solution. GI can promise the world but with there history no one is going to believe them. Sorry to be so very negative.
Negative or realistic?
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Stop talking b******s and get something done.

Plans are just plans. They can lead to something evidently tangible like work on a new stadium to be seen before our very eyes but until then they are just, well..............plans.

Come back and speak when the building has started Ozzy yeah?

:rofl:
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Or preferably finished
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Definitely when it has finished!

A look at the Herald Express comments on the article today show a continuing ignorance of the situation......Gaming International did not 'buy' Torquay United; they acquired it in lieu of debts with many feeling they encouraged the former directors to accept their loans as a means of leverage in obtaining that access to the freehold knowing full well they would be unable to repay their debt.

We can't rely n the local evening paper to accurately report the events, we know full well they will conveniently disguise the appalling history of Clarke Osborn and his companies as regarding stadium development and to have the nerve to imply that once 'plans are in place' a continuance of the freehold discussions can resume is utterly scandalous with the 'stadium in boxes' farce going on up at Swindon!
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

It's actually no change at all. it's just a public acknowledgement of what the situation has always been since GI took over the club.

The situation always was that Montgomery (TDA) and Mowatt (department head) at the council were in discussions with GI and that the Council (ie: elected members) would debate any concrete proposals that GI might put forward. They've just not put forward any concrete proposals. Yet. For reasons best known to themselves.

Being a suspicious old bat, I do wonder at the timing of this particular missive.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

GI loaned United £120,000. Whatever possessed the previous directors to sign away the club for a few bags of sand is beyond me. . There was only a trading loss of £337,456 at the years end so it appears the directors did not put their hands their pockets very far, nor could they have been that proactive in sourcing investment institutions for investors looking for a nice tax loophole to off-set their business profits against the club losses.

Merse is right GI did not buy the club - it was just a case of plain daylight robbery.

I don't blame GI from a business perspective for trying to make a fast buck as immoral as it may sound as most financial transaction in the business world are not about morality, That is why it is important for the supporters, the community as a whole, the Council and Mayor to stand fast against the asset stripping of our club for financial gain for the few at the expense of the many.

My comment on the Herald Express reporting is equal to their news on the matter namely ............................................................................................................................................................ Nada !

and I am not even bound by the Editors' Code of Practice,
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

FROM KEVIN FOSTER MP's LATEST WEEKLY UPDATE

Plainmoor Freehold Decision Postponed

Earlier this week it was announced that Torbay Council and Torquay United FC have agreed to postpone a decision on whether the club could purchase the freehold of the Plainmoor Stadium.

The stated reason for this postponement is to allow the club time to develop plans for a new stadium and events arena. You can read the council’s statement by clicking here.

As mentioned in previous updates whilst I could see in theory the merit of Torquay United having a facility similar to Exeter Chief’s Sandy Park, which would help it earn non-matchday revenue, I am sceptical a solid business plan for such a move can be put together. In the absence of such a plan Plainmoor should be protected as the only stadium in the bay capable of hosting League Football.

I will keep residents up to date on any further news, although a meeting I had planned with the Club’s new owner was sadly cancelled by him on Monday. That said he has committed to arranging a new date and my office will be seeking to get this arranged urgently.