Keeping Our Eye on the Ball

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Keeping our eye on the ball…post-election.

I sent 4 emails and 9 letters to candidates and their agents. I know from the replies that I received from the parties (all bar UKIP :red: ) and being CC’d in to emails, that others were doing the same. Unsurprisingly, my fantasy that the issue of the sale of Plainmoor would become a local election issue remained just that. So what, if anything, was achieved?

The letters and emails themselves would have hopefully made those involved in local politics, if they weren’t already, aware of the issue. Kevin Foster and Deborah Brewer included references to the sale of Plainmoor in their election material that was distributed to households throughout the constituency. Kevin Foster included a small item accompanied by a photo of Plainmoor on the back page (very appropriate Kevin) of an A4, four page newsletter. Of course it’s debatable whether anyone but the most undecided of voters would have read this material but there must be a good chance that some of the general public and even some fans are now aware that something is going on when previously they weren’t

If anything, the fact that the sale of Plainmoor was mentioned in the election material of the two front runners in Torbay shows that the lobbying by fans over the past months by email and the signing of petitions has had an effect. I hope this will encourage those who haven’t already done so to get involved. If we are to continue to keep our eye on the ball and hold the Mayor and his cronies on the Council to account we must continue with the campaign. :scarf:
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Included in Kevin Foster MPs weekly Residents Update

Request For Meeting with TUFC Owners

Over recent months there has been a lot of debate about the future of the Plainmoor Stadium that has been home to Torquay United for over 90 years.

My view is that Plainmoor should be protected as a venue for league football in the bay. Any new stadium plan must be based on a firm business plan that shows what long term benefit it would bring to TUFC. So far I have not seen any evidence that such a plan exists.

That said I believe it is right to give the club’s owners a chance to explain their vision for TUFC. I have therefore arranged to meet with them and I will update readers with the outcome.

That this meeting is taking place is another sign that lobbying by fans has had an effect. Hopefully, any assurances made at a meeting with the local MP should carry some weight so reading about the outcome will be interesting.

I wonder if the Herald will find the meeting newsworthy enough to report it?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

gullpower wrote: 24 Jun 2017, 15:04 Included in Kevin Foster MPs weekly Residents Update

Request For Meeting with TUFC Owners

Over recent months there has been a lot of debate about the future of the Plainmoor Stadium that has been home to Torquay United for over 90 years.

My view is that Plainmoor should be protected as a venue for league football in the bay. Any new stadium plan must be based on a firm business plan that shows what long term benefit it would bring to TUFC. So far I have not seen any evidence that such a plan exists.

That said I believe it is right to give the club’s owners a chance to explain their vision for TUFC. I have therefore arranged to meet with them and I will update readers with the outcome.

That this meeting is taking place is another sign that lobbying by fans has had an effect. Hopefully, any assurances made at a meeting with the local MP should carry some weight so reading about the outcome will be interesting.

[highlight=yellow]I wonder if the Herald will find the meeting newsworthy enough to report it?
[/highlight]
I doubt it.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I said in a previous post on another thread that if I could I would try to get down to Swindon to see their new stadium being built, Well I have and took some pictures. It does unfortunately, cement our view that GI will not actually build anything sport related. Despite being based in Swindon and the stadium having been announced as would be ready to move into as of last month. you will see that the site still has the old stadium standing and the surrounding area shows no sign of construction of anything pertaining to foundations, footings or even fencing to suggest a stadium is going up. the only construction is housing in the near distance. and lots of grassy mounds. This new construction was meant to be literally next door to the old one. But you can see it's plainly not.
I will do my best to load these photos up as soon as I can. But you know how I manage to mess up these simple technoliogs.
I might need some advice as to how gents.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Thanks to the two admins to emailed me to help load up the photos.
You can plainly see that the car park is large and at the end are mounds of detritus. beyond that is clearly housing so the stadium was according to plans be supposed to be built adjacent to the present stadium on land they already owned but I think it looks plain that they have not started anything and indeed if there was any land beyond, it's already been developed with housing. I cannot see any further land for development into a new stadium. the road turns into a narrow road at the point I drove into and I was with someone in a large vehicle so could not go beyond to the field at the back further on but if there had been any development I am sure I would have seen some evidence of it. I have further trawled the local news there and there are no further items of news beyond last november 11th in the local newspaper and if the stadium had been finished as promised then I'm sure there would have been a huge fanfare. there is one article on the Swindon Robins Speedway website which shows prefabricated panels wrapped up supposedly lying in wait in Port Talbot and directors standing over them, like the reports in the local newspaper this is no evidence at all as they could just be posted with no real intention of construction. anyone can pose with a digger. I could pose with a new Bentley pretending to be a millionaire and ready to buy the Gulls. but with no evidence of my bank account, I could well imagine you all being suspicious. after all, we saw one of these characters not so long ago, didn't we ? so posted photos show no real intent to me at all..now supposed I was then shown the actual site with footings dug and concrete put in them which looked like it was for new stands and a race track then I would be more convinced.
But all I can see now is yet more excuses that delays have led to problems about the drainage on the site. which frankly is pathetic. this article was supposedly written on May 12th this year. that's only last month and it was only a few days before that of the speedway club officials were talking about moving into the new stadium only a few days before. so this looks like smoke and mirrors to me.
FOR GOODNESS SAKE. LET'S NOT TAKE OUR EYES OFF THE BALL. WE HAVE TO BE VIGILANT.
Attachments
DSC04631.JPG
DSC04630.JPG
DSC04629.JPG
DSC04628.JPG
DSC04627.JPG
DSC04626.JPG
DSC04625.JPG
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Glostergull wrote: 24 Jun 2017, 21:53 Thanks to the two admins to emailed me to help load up the photos.
You can plainly see that the car park is large and at the end are mounds of detritus. beyond that is clearly housing so the stadium was according to plans be supposed to be built adjacent to the present stadium on land they already owned but I think it looks plain that they have not started anything and indeed if there was any land beyond, it's already been developed with housing. I cannot see any further land for development into a new stadium. the road turns into a narrow road at the point I drove into and I was with someone in a large vehicle so could not go beyond to the field at the back further on but if there had been any development I am sure I would have seen some evidence of it. I have further trawled the local news there and there are no further items of news beyond last november 11th in the local newspaper and if the stadium had been finished as promised then I'm sure there would have been a huge fanfare. there is one article on the Swindon Robins Speedway website which shows prefabricated panels wrapped up supposedly lying in wait in Port Talbot and directors standing over them, like the reports in the local newspaper this is no evidence at all as they could just be posted with no real intention of construction. anyone can pose with a digger. I could pose with a new Bentley pretending to be a millionaire and ready to buy the Gulls. but with no evidence of my bank account, I could well imagine you all being suspicious. after all, we saw one of these characters not so long ago, didn't we ? so posted photos show no real intent to me at all..now supposed I was then shown the actual site with footings dug and concrete put in them which looked like it was for new stands and a race track then I would be more convinced.
But all I can see now is yet more excuses that delays have led to problems about the drainage on the site. which frankly is pathetic. this article was supposedly written on May 12th this year. that's only last month and it was only a few days before that of the speedway club officials were talking about moving into the new stadium only a few days before. so this looks like smoke and mirrors to me.
FOR GOODNESS SAKE. LET'S NOT TAKE OUR EYES OFF THE BALL. WE HAVE TO BE VIGILANT.
Taking the above post into consideration along with the latest posting on BTPIR in the "Gordon Oliver this stadium is ours" thread leads me to believe that the excitement being generated by new signings is nothing more than a smoke screen for GIs ambitions. I only hope that Torbay councillors are as passionate about TUFC as they are about the Palace Theatre which they quite correctly saved from being sold off.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Creating a smokescreen or trying to build up a business that would be a viable proposition for a further buyer should GI not achieve their primary object in securing the freehold/or more favourable terms (to them) on the lease?

They are not so silly as to have injected funds into the concern without having a Plan B to recoup that should they not succeed in Plan A. If that is the case then supporters have little to fear as long as the next owners move in with more football intention than that of land development and an ambition to create their own stadium; out of town leisure and training facility designed to add to the GI portfolio with the football club as tenant.

The fact is we just don't know and with their promise of a fans forum still unfulfilled after over six months of ownership of the football club; there seeming continuation of discussions with the unelected Torbay Development Agency rather than the elected Mayor; it's all worryingly untrustworthy and suspicious isn't it....TUST need to maintain their resolve to continue to be that 'critical friend'.

Councillor David Thomas addressing the council meeting on June 22nd complained of being "shocked disgusted that we should have to dig through a series of papers on the table tonight to find this executive motion, not a mayoral motion but a executive motion (from the TDA &/or Mayor's office)that is coming forward, that we know absolutely nothing about, this place, as councillor Lewis said, would be absolutely heaving if this had been published in advance but what do we get? two minutes before the meeting, we get this put on the table" ..........further example of the suspect and covert way many believe Oliver has been dealing with Clarke Osborne.
Read more: http://thelondonmafia.proboards.com/thr ... z4kzjX0tAQ

There is the argument of business confidentiality that could be used on their behalf, but also of the age old tripe of treating the most important stakeholder ~ the supporter ~ like a mushroom. i.e. keeping him in the dark and feeding him shit.

As it says on the tin; we must keep our eye on the ball!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 24 Jun 2017, 15:38 [/highlight]
I doubt it.
Hmmm ...... being a trusting soul and a long-time reader of the Herald Depress, I've tried not to believe the conspiracy theory that the H.E. are in cahoots with Clarke Osborne & Co. But having trawled through the paper from cover to cover, I can find no mention whatsoever of Kevin Foster's proposed meeting with TUFC owners. So Gullpower was right to question whether or not the Herald would find the meeting newsworthy enough to report it. Yet the editorial staff decided that the slight delay of the launch of the new strip was newsworthy. It sort of speaks for itself ......... :B
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

'conspiracy theory' ? I think you just answered your own question - a paper that does no investigative journalism and cannot even bring itself to announce a meeting with a Member of Parliament and the owners of Torquay United to discuss matters of the utmost importance to not just the club, but to the wider community.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

The Herald Express' primary function within the business plan of it's ownership is to create advertising revenue and to this end real news reporting does not exist; merely a procession of 'advertiser friendly' stuff devoid of any resemblance of enquiry or desire to report the actualite of the situation.

With the involvement of the Torbay Development Agency in the 'off the record' talks with Clarke Osborne this means a doubling of resolve not to rock the boat or spill any beans.........'official media' has had it's day. Social media is the current vogue because WE are the only people with a vested interest to care enough what is actually going on!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The real problem is the smokescreen of signing a few (by the looks of it) decent players to make us think all is hunky dory but we still don't actually have a squad yet. I'm betting the calibre of our squad fillers won't be up to much but hey GI must be ok, they've "increased the budget". As if they could have reduced it.............
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Breaking news reveals that the nosiy neighbour 'Keyboard Wankers' have had their effect!
http://thelondonmafia.proboards.com/posts/recent
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

http://mobile.torquayunited.com//news/a ... 32267.aspx

Bloody Brillant, this is what happens when fans unite and raise their voice and put up a fight. :scarf:
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Good news - the battle is won - but the war is not over; since when was bringing stability and sustainability to the Club, based solely on 'purchasing the freehold of Plainmoor'. I did not trust GI then and I don't trust them now.

And as an addendum I note that GI wish to use published findings from the recent supporters consultation survey to aid the process of purchasing the freehold of Plainmoor. Surprise! Surprise! Merse time to get another petition out we need to counter their findings .
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

MellowYellow wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 18:59Good news - the battle is won - but the war is not over; since when was bringing stability and sustainability to the Club, based solely on 'purchasing the freehold of Plainmoor'. I did not trust GI then and I don't trust them now.
And as an addendum I note that GI wish to use published findings from the recent supporters consultation survey to aid the process of purchasing the freehold of Plainmoor. Surprise! Surprise! Merse time to get another petition out we need to counter their findings .
I absolutely agree that this is a battle won but not the war.

No transaction between TBC and TUFC regarding the Plainmoor freehold can have completion until such time as the proposed new facility is built, completed and up and running. The council, Mayor and Osborne need to realise that we will not shut up and go away just because the Mayor has agreed to 'postpone' what Osborne desires. His track record of stadium building is absolutely not one ~ EVER ~ and for that reason alone the freehold has to remain in the local authority's hands until the stipulation of a complete and fit for purpose new ground for the club to move into has been met. Not some festering 'former' site with nothing built on it as Reading has, not a 'stadium in boxes' nearly a hundred miles away as Swindon has; and certainly no access to the freehold of Plainmoor until Torquay United has it's new ground.

Let's see the club ownership making proper use of the current ground and facilities in the meantime and show us that they really mean business because we haven't seen anything like that yet!
Last edited by merse btpir on 28 Jun 2017, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.