Keeping Our Eye on the Ball

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

merse btpir wrote: 16 May 2017, 17:42

Islington 'snobbery' row over plan to cut football pitch for picnics

Opposition from a “small group” of people persuaded the council to submit plans to redevelop the park with a much smaller pitch, well away from the gardens of residents including Labour’s Emily Thornberry, who is seeking to retain her Islington North and Finsbury seat in next month’s general election. 

Being a Labour council with a massive majority means nothing for the poor when people like Margaret Hodge and Thornberry have influence over them.
That would be the same Emily Thornberry who disparagingly tweeted the photo of the white van and England flags during the Rochester by-election.
The same Emily Thornberry who corbyn promoted to shadow foreign secretary.
The same Emily Thornberry who acts as labour's spokesperson on the TV news.

That is one the reasons why I don't vote labour anymore. Thornberry should have been thrown out of the party over the Twitter gaff because she is symptomatic of the liberal chattering classes who hijacked the party and turned it into the unelectable play thing of middle class intellectuals.

And before you say anything, no I don't believe in Theresa May's new found enthusiasm for workers rights either.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 17 May 2017, 18:53 Thornberry should have been thrown out of the party over the Twitter gaff because she is symptomatic of the liberal chattering classes who hijacked the party and turned it into the unelectable play thing of middle class intellectuals.
Seeing as this thread was dedicated to keeping our eye on the ball of GI getting the Plainmoor freehold ~ I take responsibility for it's diversion because of my usage of another council being untrustworthy over a sports facility ~ perhaps these subjects should be on another thread ~ however; I have listened to the Jeremy Vine Show for the first time in my life because of this and found it very enjoyable and would think it would be really enlightening to anyone else who cares to listen who would be educated as regards Islington North if they weren't already familiar with it.

But as I say..........keep the eye on GI and their bid for the freehold!
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

merse btpir wrote: 17 May 2017, 19:21 Seeing as this thread was dedicated to keeping our eye on the ball of GI getting the Plainmoor freehold ~ I take responsibility for it's diversion because of my usage of another council being untrustworthy over a sports facility ~ perhaps these subjects should be on another thread ~ however; I have listened to the Jeremy Vine Show for the first time in my life because of this and found it very enjoyable and would think it would be really enlightening to anyone else who cares to listen who would be educated as regards Islington North if they weren't already familiar with it.

[highlight=yellow]But as I say..........keep the eye on GI and their bid for the freehold![/highlight]
The thread does seem to have gone off at a bit of a tangent. I was hoping that a few others would write letters and more recently, that other candidates would join Kevin Foster in posting on the thread.
stratfordgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bobby O...oh no

Post by stratfordgull »

As a former Coventry lad I would say that as supporters we should welcome the interest shown by Kevin Foster. A thoroughly genuine and decent MP who always followed up on matters raised in his ward back there.
I think having the 'wherewithall' to register on here and potentially open himself to abuse from the likes of us speaks volumes. Far more transparent than certain other pork based correspondents.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Still trying to keep an eye on the ball...

I saw that in Deborah Brewer's election material that came through the door under 'Protect our green spaces ' it says "As your MP, I would oppose the wholesale destruction of our valued green spaces, heritage sites and amenities including Cary Green, Oldway Mansion and Torquay's Plainmoor football ground."

So if anyone happens to get the chance can they ask her how she is going to provide some practical support.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Still trying to keep an eye on the ball... ...received this yesterday from the Lib Dems.

Torbay Liberal Democrats
69, Belgrave Road
Torquay
TQ2 5HZ

Dear Bob,

Thank you for approaching me regarding the future of Plainmoor. This is rightly an issue of significant importance to all those who care about the future of Torquay United and the impact any sale or development might also have on the wider community. You are certainly not alone in having raised this topic with me and I am similarly concerned in part because my own son (a former pupil at Wellswood Primary School) benefitted enormously from the courses run by Frank Prince at the club.

First of all, I firmly believe that we should not forget that the land in question was a covenanted gift to the people of our town and I am full of admiration for those who have sought to secure the future of the property by seeking to make the Plainmoor site an Asset of Community Value. Whereas this topic is primarily one for local government, I am opposed to the disposal of the Plainmoor site for private development.

Furthermore, as I am sure you will recall, unlike their Conservative counterparts, ALL Liberal Democrat councillors on Torbay Council have come out strongly against any plans that the Conservative Mayor of Torbay might have to dispose of the land at Plainmoor for private development. I am also extremely concerned indeed at continuous allegations of possible decisions about its future being made behind closed doors with representatives of the Torbay Council which are not subject to full public scrutiny and open debate. I should perhaps add that although the Conservative candidate in the forthcoming General Election is alleged to have said that he supports the continuance of Torquay United at Plainmoor, as far as I am aware, he is yet to condemn the Conservative Mayor and certain Conservative Councillors for their own role in this matter. Should I have the honour of being elected as the Member of Parliament for Torbay, you may rest assured that I shall stand to be judged on my record. I certainly won’t bleat during a weekend photo-call about the closure of local hospital facilities and cuts to local transport facilities, for example, and then simply return to Westminster on a Monday morning and nod through Government cuts to such services.

As you have alluded to in your letter, Plainmoor has been the home of Torquay United for over a century and it is therefore of the utmost importance to not just the club, but to the wider community as well that the club’s future is safely secured. With this in mind, it is absolutely essential that if any relocation does eventually have to come to pass, there must be cast-iron guarantees that any new site and facilities are fully completed and operational before there is any question of the club being forced to leave its current home. We most certainly shouldn’t allow developers to have an upper hand as they have reportedly had with, for example, the Oldway Mansion scenario. Any repetition of this in relation to Plainmoor would be a disaster for both the club and the wider community.

Once again, many thanks for getting in touch and do feel free to share my thoughts in this matter with fellow-supporters of our local football club.

Deborah Brewer
Liberal Democrat Candidate (Torbay Constituency)
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

gullpower wrote: 31 May 2017, 10:24First of all, I firmly believe that we should not forget that the land in question was a covenanted gift to the people of our town and I am full of admiration for those who have sought to secure the future of the property by seeking to make the Plainmoor site an Asset of Community Value. Whereas this topic is primarily one for local government, I am opposed to the disposal of the Plainmoor site for private development.
This is an example of the essential realisation and commitment we need from as many individual councillors as possible. It is inherent that the social value of the asset is put above the monetry aspect. That is a given and unequivocal in it's place in the scheme of things if by some unearthly chance Gaming International were to for the first time in their existence come up with a brand new, fit for purpose facility elsewhere.

For the life of me; I cannot envisage them producing that in my lifetime!
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

We need to get the word out to the wider fan base.

I bumped into an old friend and lifelong supporter who sits in The Bench. We chatted about the end of the season and the signings but when I mentioned GI trying to buy the freehold of Plainmoor and their record (or lack of it!) for provided the promised new stadiums for clubs they have acquired he had no idea what I was talking about!

Hopefully the freehold of Plainmoor will come up at the hustings this evening and give the Herald something to report on.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

gullpower wrote: 31 May 2017, 11:43 We need to get the word out to the wider fan base.

I bumped into an old friend and lifelong supporter who sits in The Bench. We chatted about the end of the season and the signings but when I mentioned GI trying to buy the freehold of Plainmoor and their record (or lack of it!) for provided the promised new stadiums for clubs they have acquired he had no idea what I was talking about!

Hopefully the freehold of Plainmoor will come up at the hustings this evening and give the Herald something to report on.
It didn't as the panel were mostly answering questions on the "big" national issues,and there wasn't the opportunity to raise it.
(Looked like the Lib Dems won the straw poll that took place at the end)
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

This ambivalence and ignorance is just what Gaming International, the Mayor and the Herald Express rely on to slide this through on the quiet.

That's exactly why GI chose to prey on a sleepy seaside backwater and not chance their arm in the host of other more awakened communities where similar opportunities exist.

That's why we have to continue to put ourselves up for ridicule and character assassination by the likes of Bernard Noble, Tim Herbert and (if they are one of those two people) threelittlepiglets ..........K'wankers we may be; but we are dedicated to putting things in the public domain as much as possible and ensuring supporters get their due rights as regards access to information and history of the protagonists as the very important stakeholders that they are; but to be honest what you report isn't at all surprising is it!
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Have received the following from the Labour Party.

Dear Bob,

Firstly my apologies for not responding much sooner - a combination of workload and community matters!

Michael will know that the Labour Party has stood by the supporters of Torquay United through what have been very troubled times. The uncertaintity of ownership and of course the threat of relegation to Conference South has been a source of great anxiety.

Torbay Labour Party has consistently opposed the sale of Plainmoor, as far back as the 1970's when the then Labour group on the council prevented a sale and went further by securing a peppercorn rent.

Fast forward 40 years and the Party is deeply concerned by discussions that may or may not have been taking place between officers and the Mayor or his Executive. Plainmoor belongs to the people of Torbay and as such must not be sold off.

We are all aware of the rumours and speculation of a new stadium at Nightingale Park. It is an option that could be considered in terms of the long-term financial stability of the club, but the reality is the site is far too difficult and expensive to develop and such proposals are not welcome by residents (as evidenced in a Community Consultation that took place in the Spring of 2016).

The overwhelming response was in favour of developing Nightingale Park for amateur sport, leisure, recreation and conservation.

So in summary - Plainmoor must not be sold off or given a long lease to anyone other than those that hold the Asset of Community Value - and well done for securing that! In particular the Party shares your deep concerns about the motives of the current owners - who as far as I am aware have still failed to properly connect with fans and they certainly haven't done so with the wider community.

You can be assured that as a member of Sport Torbay, Chair of Torbay Community Partnership Company, Chair of Shiphay and The Willows Community Partnership and Vice-Chair of Torquay Neighbourhood Plan Forum I keep the Labour Party well informed of developments and we remain committed to Plainmoor as the home of TUFC for as long as the fans wish it to be so - and judging by the past century of it being the club's home - I don't see anything changing fast!!

Finally - let us hope for a positive 2017-18 season and a return to the Football League!!

Once again, my apologies to you and Paul for not replying earlier.

(Please keep me posted if you hear anything as I know the Plainmoor issue on the Forward Plan for July council meeting. I believe there is talk of a long lease with conditions, but personally I would be very nervous about that!!)

Kind regards

Darren

Darren Cowell

Chair, Torbay Labour Campaign Forum
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Double the normal investment this year on the Plainmoor pitch: http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 28968.aspx
A step in the right direction for G.I.? Or a trick to deceive? I believe neither; it's surely mandatory for pitches to be maintained to a certain standard.

A more accurate indication of GI's intentions might be gleaned from their attitude towards the financing of the playing staff. But given the extremely poor handling of Plainmoor finances in recent years prior to the new regime, Clarke Osborne is absolutely right to be prudent with his money, and to ensure that the club never spends more than it earns. A certain initial investment is desirable, even necessary. But to be consistently in the red is a recipe for disaster. Wasn't this Mike Bateson's approach when he was in charge?

In order to ensure that the ship is steered away from the rocks and reefs and towards that Treasure Island, it is first essential to ensure that the ship stays afloat. Steady as she goes; calm sea; prosperous voyage..
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Let's hope that nobody steering the liner TQ1 suffers from being seasick!
PS Mike Bateson's parrot would be apt for Treasure Island!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I have been critical of GI and expect I will remain so until the Plainmoor freehold issue is resolved. Nonetheless, I am not adverse to giving praise if justified and if as the 'Pitch Work' report states GI have "spent more or less double this year on what we have in recent years gone by" then that is a jolly good step in the right direction. I am happy with Osbourne being prudent; as a club like Torquay should run within budget, that is just good business sense and I don't think many supporters would disagree. However, the hub of the question still lays in Osbourne's ulterior motive for buying Torquay United.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Having posted responses from candidates in the election I have now received the following from Sam Moss of the Green Party.

Dear Bob,

Thank you both for your letters in regard to the future for Torquay
United FC and Plainmoor.

I am writing to assure the supporters trust that all your points in
regard to the uncertain prospects for the club have been noted.

Torbay`s Tory and Lib-Dem Councillor have a dreadful track record of
putting profits from development before the interests of local residents
unless there are overwhelming political or legal reasons for them not to
do so.

Now is the time, prior to decision on the freehold in June, for
supporters to take legal advice and approach local councillors to lobby
support and build pressure on the borough`s decision makers. I wish you
luck in promoting the petition on social media, websites and on the
streets etc. along with press releases and radio work to update everyone
on the campaign.

Since the ground is publically owned by the people of Torbay, and local
councillors and the Mayor have a duty to act on our behalf, all is not
lost. There are hurdles for prospective developers to overcome in regard
to the covenant and ACV status. Do you have a copy of the covenant, ACV
legislation and terms of the freehold/leasehold?

If TUFC supporters want the club, or A club, to remain in central
Torquay and were to control Plainmoor owners Gaming International may
reconsider their development ambitions. Which is more important to local
supporters: the ground or the Torquay United name?

The Green Party supports and promotes co-operatives and mutuals which
includes the right to turn sporting clubs, in particular football clubs,
into community and supporter cooperatives by giving powers for season
ticket holders – backed by the local community – to take over the
running of the club or the ground.

I have signed the petition, which the Green Party will be promoting,
and we fully support keeping a local football club at Plainmoor. We wish
all TUFC supporters luck with the campaign.

Thank you once again for getting in touch.

Yours sincerely,

Dr Sam Moss
Green Party Parliamentary Candidate for Torbay