Don't take your eye off the ball

Discuss all the latest news at Plainmoor with fans.

Fonda
Player Coach
Player Coach
Posts: 1836
Joined: 05 Sep 2010, 19:20
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler
Location: At work or on the sofa

Don't take your eye off the ball

Post by Fonda » 12 May 2017, 10:10

Logically, there is no reason that the petition shouldn't receive 20,000 signatures - but people can't be relied upon to do the simplest thing. I've signed many petitions in my time, and am continually surprised by the lower-than-expected amount of names on said petitions. People are generally apathetic - to almost anything. Large numbers of people can't be bothered to vote at election time - the results of which will directly affect their lives. Expecting them to express an opinion on something that probably doesn't, is unfortunately unrealistic. I think many people are fearful of adding their details 'online' too. Where is my information going? What will be the follow-up? I think if we can get somewhere near 10,000 signatures on an issue which with the best will in the world only 3 or 4 thousand people care about, is a pretty good effort.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."


Topic author
merse btpir
Player Coach
Player Coach
Posts: 1135
Joined: 02 Jan 2017, 10:58
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir » 12 May 2017, 10:36

Southampton Gull wrote:
12 May 2017, 09:45
I've long held the Herald in contempt for their continued stance on keeping information from the fans. A more critical eye from the local rag might have put a stop to a lot of the decisions made by various controlling parties at Plainmoor.
I've had it put to me Dave that sports editor Richard Hughes operates under the Trinity Mirror policy of avoiding legal challenge at all costs but surely if you don't tell lies you cannot be sued for libel. More than likely courting favour with the sources of advertising revenue than actually committing to telling the truth and that transpires to everyday life where the policies of the Torbay Development Agency dictate what the councillors will actually stand up and say.

When I was in the club's employ, Dave Thomas and Roy (who' surname escapes me) of the Western Morning News were regarded as the faithful hacks who would dutifully sit there and record what the club wanted them to report and keep quiet about what they (particularly the manager) didn't. That situation largely holds sway today. The likes of Gordon Hines (of the Trobay News & Sunday Independent) and Jim Parker were regarded with suspicion and indeed Parker was once threatened with legal action over inaccuracies he posted about United' lucrative summer lottery operation in the Paignton local paper.

There was no social media then and hence no challenge to the wall of silence as there is today; hence Thomas is now as a dinosaur in a modern world harrumphing and yearning for the past which is why (to the point of boredom) he harks back to those days on a weekly basis on the podcasts.

The other thing we have to be aware of is there is diminished democracy these days with local agencies like the Torbay Development Agency and the Executive Mayor driving things like the disposal of the Plainmoor freehold forward. Unelected people like Kevin Mowatt hold ridiculous amounts of influence and power and I would say to anyone; just because you see this guy at Plainmoor for matches don't assume he is not a Trojan Horse.


Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Posts: 88
Joined: 06 Apr 2011, 19:21

Post by Sesimbra » 12 May 2017, 10:42

Has anyone living in Torbay written to The Editor letters page to drum up support? It would be interesting to see if it is published.
Details of how to vote could be included.


Fonda
Player Coach
Player Coach
Posts: 1836
Joined: 05 Sep 2010, 19:20
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler
Location: At work or on the sofa

Post by Fonda » 12 May 2017, 11:07

Sesimbra wrote:
12 May 2017, 10:42
Has anyone living in Torbay written to The Editor letters page to drum up support? It would be interesting to see if it is published.
Details of how to vote could be included.
Would that need to be done by 'somebody living in Torbay'? Surely that opportunity is available to anybody?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."


Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Posts: 88
Joined: 06 Apr 2011, 19:21

Post by Sesimbra » 12 May 2017, 11:16

Fonda wrote:
12 May 2017, 11:07
Sesimbra wrote:
12 May 2017, 10:42
Has anyone living in Torbay written to The Editor letters page to drum up support? It would be interesting to see if it is published.
Details of how to vote could be included.
Would that need to be done by 'somebody living in Torbay'? Surely that opportunity is available to anybody?
Yes of course. It could be more effective though coming from a resident rather that someone outside the area.

User avatar

Southampton Gull
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6903
Joined: 05 Sep 2010, 01:35
Favourite player: Brett Williams
Location: Southampton

Post by Southampton Gull » 12 May 2017, 12:28

merse btpir wrote:
12 May 2017, 10:36
Southampton Gull wrote:
12 May 2017, 09:45
I've long held the Herald in contempt for their continued stance on keeping information from the fans. A more critical eye from the local rag might have put a stop to a lot of the decisions made by various controlling parties at Plainmoor.
I've had it put to me Dave that sports editor Richard Hughes operates under the Trinity Mirror policy of avoiding legal challenge at all costs but surely if you don't tell lies you cannot be sued for libel. More than likely courting favour with the sources of advertising revenue than actually committing to telling the truth and that transpires to everyday life where the policies of the Torbay Development Agency dictate what the councillors will actually stand up and say.

When I was in the club's employ, Dave Thomas and Roy (who' surname escapes me) of the Western Morning News were regarded as the faithful hacks who would dutifully sit there and record what the club wanted them to report and keep quiet about what they (particularly the manager) didn't. That situation largely holds sway today. The likes of Gordon Hines (of the Trobay News & Sunday Independent) and Jim Parker were regarded with suspicion and indeed Parker was once threatened with legal action over inaccuracies he posted about United' lucrative summer lottery operation in the Paignton local paper.

There was no social media then and hence no challenge to the wall of silence as there is today; hence Thomas is now as a dinosaur in a modern world harrumphing and yearning for the past which is why (to the point of boredom) he harks back to those days on a weekly basis on the podcasts.

The other thing we have to be aware of is there is diminished democracy these days with local agencies like the Torbay Development Agency and the Executive Mayor driving things like the disposal of the Plainmoor freehold forward. Unelected people like Kevin Mowatt hold ridiculous amounts of influence and power and I would say to anyone; just because you see this guy at Plainmoor for matches don't assume he is not a Trojan Horse.
I remember getting stick from someone on here a few years ago when I criticised Dave Thomas and his reporting of things at Plainmoor. I think it was Hector and although we argued over most things at the time, I'm pretty sure we're all singing from the same hymn sheet these days.

I think the reasons put up by various entities at the Herald is just a smokescreen to stay in favour with club officials and it's long been up to the forums to spread news of what is and was going on. Sanctimonious pricks or not, nobody can say we've not given everyone plenty of notice about recent events.
Dave




Friend of TorquayFans.com


Topic author
merse btpir
Player Coach
Player Coach
Posts: 1135
Joined: 02 Jan 2017, 10:58
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir » 12 May 2017, 12:38

Southampton Gull wrote:
12 May 2017, 12:28
.......the Herald is just a smokescreen to stay in favour with club officials and it's long been up to the forums to spread news of what is and was going on. Sanctimonious pricks or not, nobody can say we've not given everyone plenty of notice about recent events.
The very notion that the very lifeblood and most important stakeholders in the club ~ the supporters ~ should be kept in the dark and even deceived is anathema to me and therefore if 'the club' wish to cry "foul" and complain about untruths/inaccuracies and the local paper continue to even acknowledge our existence then they deserve all that comes to them.

It's as simple and black and white as that; we live an age of supporters' trusts and forums on the Internet. Get over it and live with it instead of pretending they don't matter as Dave Phillips' board did under the influence of Pete Masters, and the Herald Express do in their podcasts and articles. That's just contemptible and invites ridicule.


hector
Player Coach
Player Coach
Posts: 2335
Joined: 30 May 2011, 08:24
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector » 12 May 2017, 20:04

Southampton Gull wrote:
12 May 2017, 12:28
merse btpir wrote:
12 May 2017, 10:36
Southampton Gull wrote:
12 May 2017, 09:45
I've long held the Herald in contempt for their continued stance on keeping information from the fans. A more critical eye from the local rag might have put a stop to a lot of the decisions made by various controlling parties at Plainmoor.
I've had it put to me Dave that sports editor Richard Hughes operates under the Trinity Mirror policy of avoiding legal challenge at all costs but surely if you don't tell lies you cannot be sued for libel. More than likely courting favour with the sources of advertising revenue than actually committing to telling the truth and that transpires to everyday life where the policies of the Torbay Development Agency dictate what the councillors will actually stand up and say.

When I was in the club's employ, Dave Thomas and Roy (who' surname escapes me) of the Western Morning News were regarded as the faithful hacks who would dutifully sit there and record what the club wanted them to report and keep quiet about what they (particularly the manager) didn't. That situation largely holds sway today. The likes of Gordon Hines (of the Trobay News & Sunday Independent) and Jim Parker were regarded with suspicion and indeed Parker was once threatened with legal action over inaccuracies he posted about United' lucrative summer lottery operation in the Paignton local paper.

There was no social media then and hence no challenge to the wall of silence as there is today; hence Thomas is now as a dinosaur in a modern world harrumphing and yearning for the past which is why (to the point of boredom) he harks back to those days on a weekly basis on the podcasts.

The other thing we have to be aware of is there is diminished democracy these days with local agencies like the Torbay Development Agency and the Executive Mayor driving things like the disposal of the Plainmoor freehold forward. Unelected people like Kevin Mowatt hold ridiculous amounts of influence and power and I would say to anyone; just because you see this guy at Plainmoor for matches don't assume he is not a Trojan Horse.
I remember getting stick from someone on here a few years ago when I criticised Dave Thomas and his reporting of things at Plainmoor. I think it was Hector and although we argued over most things at the time, I'm pretty sure we're all singing from the same hymn sheet these days.

I think the reasons put up by various entities at the Herald is just a smokescreen to stay in favour with club officials and it's long been up to the forums to spread news of what is and was going on. Sanctimonious pricks or not, nobody can say we've not given everyone plenty of notice about recent events.
Not sure I would have argued with you re: DT but as we argued about most things, I may have done for the hell of it :na:

But like you say, I think we have sung from the same hymn sheet for a while now.

User avatar

Southampton Gull
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6903
Joined: 05 Sep 2010, 01:35
Favourite player: Brett Williams
Location: Southampton

Post by Southampton Gull » 12 May 2017, 20:33

Haha no worries. I always preferred being the ogre :)
Dave




Friend of TorquayFans.com

User avatar

Scott Brehaut
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 4857
Joined: 05 Sep 2010, 16:04
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Location: Guernsey

Post by Scott Brehaut » 13 May 2017, 22:43

Southampton Gull wrote:
12 May 2017, 20:33
Haha no worries. I always preferred being the ogre :)
May as well. You look like one.
Image

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com

Post Reply