Meet Lingy!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Meet Lingy!

Post by merse btpir »

Another charity game this weekend
Watcombe welcome Lingy's boys

Steve Breed's Watcombe Wanderers make their developing ground at Milber available to Martin Ling this weekend making a welcome return to the area with his travelling team from the London area and a side of former United pro's featuring a couple of his successors in the Plainmoor management seat, Kevin Nicholson and Chris Hargreaves as well as Robbie Herrera, Gareth Law and even Eunan O'Kane who intends to come and play at least half a game now that the Leeds United campaign is done and dusted........

Charity games are quite the vogue right now and Martin brings his boys on a weekend by the seaside and to raise money for MIND at the same time. Watcombe Wanderers meanwhile are pleased to host them at their new project up on stunning Milber Down from where the views over Newton Abbot and Dartmoor beyond are more than stunning. It's the old Newton Dynamos ground which they have secured on a decent lease from Teignbridge DC as they seek to develop their burgeoning development set-up and progress up the football pyramid in a manner that was impossible if they remained at the KGV ground in Watcombe.

If the weather's good this will be a lovely few hours and the chance to re-acquaint yourself with Martin and Steve Breed too.

Stunning views over NA to Dartmoor from the Watcombe Ground

Martin Ling's Eleven v TUFC Old Boys
Kick-off 12 noon
Watcombe Wanderers FC

Milber Lane
TQ12 4SF
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

What an amazing day it promises to be. So glad Martin is back in the groove again after accessing support and help for his challenging mental health issues. From personal experience I know a little of what he must have been going through, myself having to access MIND up here in Mansfield and having issues with anxiety / panic attacks and recently being diagnosed with high functioning aspergers syndrome.

Any support for both Martin and MIND is all good in my book.

Obviously i'm hundreds of miles away but I hope it's a well attended event and credit to Breedy for putting on the match.

What is Lingy's team now anyone?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Yorkieandy wrote: 08 May 2017, 19:13 What is Lingy's team now anyone?
Lingy's travelling team is called the Canning Town Vets who are from East London which should be enough capital connection to keep caldwell&dobson away for a start =D

Martin is now working as a football coach at various levels, as asummariser for BBC London Sport and doing talks on mental health issues. He has a business called Ling's Elite, another professional level development business called the Great British Youth Football Academy and he occasionally turns out for another vets' set up called Chingford AFC ~ enough there for the forum's resident village idiot to throw himself off Daddyhole Plain tonight I guess!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Cheers Merse. Sounds like he's keeping himself busy, finding the courage to talk to others about his difficulties in order to help them and also doing what he loves doing in football but hopefully all with less pressure than he had managing Torquay and more recently Swindon.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

I think Martin's diagnosis was depression. If that is the case I don't think football club management instils it; I think it brings it out so to speak.......more than likely he always had that 'gene' and a less stressful lifestyle no doubt helps.

A smashing guy and very helpful to me on the one occasion I sought his help in making two young lads' ~ Barnet fans as it happened ~ day when we played at Underhill once.

One of the good guys!
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

I swore and my post was deleted. Sorry everyone. SG: I still live in Fareham! COYY
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

For those who aren't sure how to get there, turn off at the Penn Inn roundabout if you are coming from Exeter. If you go beyond the Penn Inn Roundabout you're on a different web site.

The match appears to be on Saturday by the way.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

gateman49 wrote: 09 May 2017, 19:59 The match appears to be on Saturday by the way.
Oh yes...........a glaring error on my part and too late to correct it! :}
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

gateman49 wrote: 09 May 2017, 19:59For those who aren't sure how to get there, turn off at the Penn Inn roundabout if you are coming from Exeter. If you go beyond the Penn Inn Roundabout you're on a different web site.
The match appears to be on Saturday by the way.

So how exactly do we get to the game? I cannot find the ground on the map, nor on Google Earth..? Will we need a car or can we use public transport? :|
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Gullscorer wrote: 09 May 2017, 21:57 So how exactly do we get to the game? I cannot find the ground on the map, nor on Google Earth..? Will we need a car or can we use public transport?
To quote dtgull on BTPIR:
"you can access this from the Torquay to Newton Abbot back road, however, easier and safer to carry down the road, take right turn on Twickenham Road, go right to the other end, turn right onto Haccombe path up past the back of Centrax, drive up past Milber trading est, you'll come to a house on the corner called the round-house, turn right back donwn long lane, and you'll find the pitch about 500 yards down the lane."

Read more: http://thelondonmafia.proboards.com/thr ... z4gcUGRRXP
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Thanks Merse, that's as clear as mud, but it looks as if I'll need to allow two hours travelling time each way, carry a large-scale O.S. map and compass, and take an extra walking stick with me, along with a flask and sandwiches. I'm afraid I shall have to give this one a miss. :-|
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Anyone go to this game? How much was raised anyone know and how was Lingy?
Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Bomber »

Lingy was and looked very well, I even got him to sign my copy of Living on the Volcano by Michael Calvin, the first chapter of which was about him.
The score I believe, unless I'm mistaken, 8-2 to the Torquay old boys, unfortunately I am unable to tell you how much money was raised.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Thanks Bomber
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I'm sure we all wish Martin Ling well in his new appointment as Director of Football at Leyton Orient:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40379823
http://www.devonlive.com/former-exeter- ... story.html
We'll be playing Leyton Orient next season, so we might be seeing him at Plainmoor. I wonder who he'll appoint as their first team coach. Paul Buckle would be interesting.. :~D
Good luck Martin. :-D