Nathan Smith

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gavcradd
Trialist
Trialist

Nathan Smith

Post by gavcradd »

Port Vale fan here - just a quick update to say thanks once again for supporting Nathan Smith the season before last. He's played virtually every minute of every game this season for us and been one of the very few highlights of an otherwise poor season. He's just won 5 awards at the club's player of the year awards (young player of the year, players’ player of the year, away travel player of the year, Supporters Club player of the year, overall player of the year). Not sure he'd have even been given a chance if it it wasn't for his spell with you.

By the way, separate topic - Norman Smurthwaite - good intentions, good money investment, awful decision making and wanted too much influence over the playing side. He's been unreasonably vilified by many fans, but most are glad to see him step down. Over to you...
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Thanks for that, he was real quality for us in what was a poor team. Glad he's still improving.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

We were grateful to you for loaning him. He was a class act and I am really pleased he has progressed to be your player of the year. As for Norman Smurthwaite, think many here would be glad to have him, warts and all, rather than what we have at present - at least he is a football fan.
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

Absolutely we're indebted to Port Vale for loaning us Nathan Smith that season.

Look at how his central defensive partner Angus MacDonald is flourishing at Barnsley, there's no doubt in my mind that Nathan Smith could step up to play in the championship.

Pleased that he's kicked on, knowing TUFC playing a part makes it sweeter.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Yes, terrific player, too good for league 2 next season
It's strange that with a back four of Berry (2nd half of season) MacDonald, Smith and Butler we conceded 15 more
goals than this season. You would have that back 4 over this seasons any day, but maybe we should credit
Nicholson for getting the team to defend as a whole, better this , than last season, I am sure SG
would agree . Mind you we did have a much better keeper this season who played every game which must
have helped, Lavercombe and Speiss just not up to it. Is Lavercombe still at Colwyn Bay or somewhere ?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

I see he signed for Rhyl on 30th March
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

desperado wrote: 04 May 2017, 21:28 I see he signed for Rhyl on 30th March
That is sad for his development. Signed by a championship club, and then sign for Rhyl. The guy does deserve better, I would have him back as under study to Moore.
Lucy
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

He went to Rhyl on loan. He's back at Wigan now and still only 20, so has time on his side.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Gulliball wrote: 05 May 2017, 00:31 He went to Rhyl on loan. He's back at Wigan now and still only 20, so has time on his side.
That's good. Previous post said he had signed for Rhyl, thankfully not permanent.
Lucy
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Lavercombe was at Plainmoor last Saturday. He was chatting with the North Ferriby keeper, who was on loan from Wigan, before the start of the second half.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Back on thread ! Really pleased to read that Nathan Smith is so well liked by Port Vale fans. He was a big hit at Plainmoor as well. Never gave less than 100% in a struggling side. Sorry to see Vale relegated, though. They started the season so well and then started to slip further and further down the table. Shame.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Seems like Smith is good at one thing - playing in a losing side!!

He obviously isn't as good as he is cracked up to be.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

One player does not make a team Brucie and Nathan was brilliant for us.
I think he played every game for Port Vale this season which suggests he added to his reputation albeit in a losing team.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

That's a ridiculous thing to say, Brucie (if you are being serious).

The Crewe team of 1987 that, like us, narrowly avoided relegation, had Geoff Thomas and David Platt in their midfield.

Our relegation-battling team from last season had a player who a year later has played a full season in the Championship.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Smiths a bog standard League 2 player - nothing more nothing less.

The comments on here are just laughable. Smiths too good for League 2? really - where exactly is the proof of that then.

Personally I would rather have Mcginty every day of the week.