Smurthwaite steps down as Port Vale chairman

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Smurthwaite steps down as Port Vale chairman

Post by CraigUnder »

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39779729

If GI don't get their freehold, want out at TUFC.. Smurthwaite in to save the day, and Plainmoor?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Wishful thinking bleeper. Smurthwaite remains the owner of port vale.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Why would we want somebody who is universally hated at his current club to come here, when we already have a bunch of owners who are compete arseholes anyway?!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

I don't think you can get much worse than GI right now, plus I'm sure he hasn't tried to send Port Vale on their way and secure the stadium and freehold for his own financial gain?

Just creating debate, it's what a forum is for :)
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 02 May 2017, 18:07 Why would we want somebody who is universally hated at his current club to come here, when we already have a bunch of owners who are compete arseholes anyway?!
Hated because of his cack handed chairmanship of the club's managerial situation and clashing with their fans - calling them racist because of the past actions of some of their unsavoury elements. Off the field he has been a damn sight better than GI, heavily investing into the club, not selling off the stadium despite initial rumours he would, trying to sell it to a decent new owner. He's not a saint and seems to make poor managerial decisions and doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut when it comes to the fans but he's not a property developing vulture like GI.
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

I know plenty of Port Vale fans who have sympathy for him. Lets face it, you pour money into the club and then you get physically attacked by your own fans in your own ground. His hiring of a foreign manager ended badly with relegation so he is not perfect.
He has a holiday home in Torbay so if he could sell Port vale I would be more than happy for him to potter around Plainmoor in his multi-millionaire retirement. GI are a development company who have already stated their lack of interest in football so of course he would be an ideal solution.
BUT who wants to buy Port Vale?
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

midtable wrote: 03 May 2017, 00:33 BUT who wants to buy Port Vale?
We could do an ownership swap with them....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular

Post by SenorDingDong »

midtable wrote: 03 May 2017, 00:33 I know plenty of Port Vale fans who have sympathy for him. Lets face it, you pour money into the club and then you get physically attacked by your own fans in your own ground. His hiring of a foreign manager ended badly with relegation so he is not perfect.
He has a holiday home in Torbay so if he could sell Port vale I would be more than happy for him to potter around Plainmoor in his multi-millionaire retirement. GI are a development company who have already stated their lack of interest in football so of course he would be an ideal solution.
BUT who wants to buy Port Vale?
In many ways he reminds me of Bateson but with more money.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Seems like he is mad as a box of frogs but it may well be Torquay would be a better fit for him than Port Vale. It does seem the timing is wrong though, we could have done with him jacking it in at Port Vale last season and of course he still has to sell the club.

He is still young enough at 56 to run another club. Might be the only chance of him coming here is if Osborne doesn't get the ground.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular

Post by SenorDingDong »

Seems like a more likely deal than the American consortium he was trying to sell to last year. Would probably hinge on whether he was willing to write off his loans and what he'd do with the stadium freehold. Wouldn't mind him here at all, even with his less than brilliant appointment of managers, he'd struggle to place us in a worse situation given the money he seems willing to invest into clubs.