Who should control the Players' Fund?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stephen breed
Verified by Admin
Verified by Admin
Favourite player: fowler

Post by stephen breed »

Fair point sue all I can answer is when I was there there was a separate bank account which was aptly named players fund where all contributions went into.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Soupdragon wrote: 03 May 2017, 08:28 And with the greatest of respect, you haven't been involved with the club for over a year, so will have little idea of the financial arrangements currently in place. I'm not suggesting any wrongdoing, just that the arrangements haven't been substantiated, and I have seen no formal accounting in public for the monies received or the areas in which it was paid out.

I distinctly remember Steve saying he would publish a full account of the Players Fund at the end of last season and then (of course) he ceased to be CEO before that could have been done and so it became the responsibility of whoever took over his duties and was patently not done.....it was for that reason I immediately withdrew my support.

People need to be aware that in order to be able to increase the playing budget; the approval of the National League board needed to have been received in and in order to make a tidy representation to them I would imagine a significant sum (say c£10,000) would need to have been accumulated first in a specific account. A football club will have several accounts for different purposes and some of them might remain dormant until needed for another purpose than their original conception; and no doubt exists in my mind that this would have been the case in point.

That amount of money would then need to be transferred into an account of which the League Management Board are aware of and have access to the transactions in. I've no doubt this was the case and I've never had any suspicions as to Steve's integrity or honesty.

I think that the manner in which some people talk about the Player's Fund they imagine it is kept in some biscuit tin in the safe with off the record cash payments being drawn from it as and when the desire arose.

It's time to stop inferring that things were done in a haphazard or disreputable way and in a manner that could well get the club into trouble with the League Management Board.
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Well said Merse totally agree :goodpost:
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

merse btpir wrote: 03 May 2017, 10:47
I distinctly remember Steve saying he would publish a full account of the Players Fund at the end of last season and then (of course) he ceased to be CEO before that could have been done and so it became the responsibility of whoever took over his duties and was patently not done.....it was for that reason I immediately withdrew my support.

People need to be aware that in order to be able to increase the playing budget; the approval of the National League board needed to have been received in and in order to make a tidy representation to them I would imagine a significant sum (say c£10,000) would need to have been accumulated first in a specific account. A football club will have several accounts for different purposes and some of them might remain dormant until needed for another purpose than their original conception; and no doubt exists in my mind that this would have been the case in point.

That amount of money would then need to be transferred into an account of which the League Management Board are aware of and have access to the transactions in. I've no doubt this was the case and I've never had any suspicions as to Steve's integrity or honesty.

I think that the manner in which some people talk about the Player's Fund they imagine it is kept in some biscuit tin in the safe with off the record cash payments being drawn from it as and when the desire arose.

It's time to stop inferring that things were done in a haphazard or disreputable way and in a manner that could well get the club into trouble with the League Management Board.

Well, I do hope that emboldened bit in your post, Merse, doesn't mean me. I'm inferring nothing.

I've got questions about the rest of your post, though. Maybe I'm dim, but I don't see why the approval of the National League Board would need to be sought to increase any playing budget. There's no salary cap in the Conference National (I've just telephoned them to confirm), so how could they have any say in whatever a club decides it wants to spend on players and whether it wants to up that during a season? I also don't think that the 'League Management Board', would be permitted access to 'transactions' in any bank account run by an individual club. Surely the requirement would be, rather, to meet HMRCs rules? There's nothing in the Financial Arrangements, apparently, that requires separate club bank accounts for fundraising, merely that the contractual obligations for each player should be properly recorded in that player's contract - which is private between the player and the club - and properly fulfilled by the club.

Incidentally, I did find online a different TUFC account number (same sort code) for fans to pay in money to help fund the Seal-Hayne training ground. I hope there's no-one who set up a standing order for that and has forgotten to cancel it!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Soupdragon wrote: 03 May 2017, 15:13 I don't see why the approval of the National League Board would need to be sought to increase any playing budget. There's no salary cap in the Conference National (I've just telephoned them to confirm), so how could they have any say in whatever a club decides it wants to spend on players and whether it wants to up that during a season?
I posted in relation to how it had been given to me when I made enquiries ~ not with the National League direct, I hasten to add ~ so the story told to you differs from the story told to me.

Whilst there is no salary cap in operation in the NL; there are strict financial controls and clubs need to prove they can sustain liabilities incurred through employing players and staff. By that score, I would assume that if they incur increased liability during the season then they will require NL approval; but maybe not who knows?

I do not have recourse to the detail, so whether they 'have any say in whatever a club decides it wants to spend on players and whether it wants to up that during a season' remains in doubt then.

I was talking to a Ryman League chairman very recently who expressed to me his horror at the prospect of having to submit so much information to the National League in the event of his club achieving promotion to it in relation to where they currently operate....I think once clubs move into these 'elevated' levels it really is a different world.........anyway ~ for what it's worth ~ I have been told there is no provision for the manager to draw on this fund in the future so if anyone on here is still contributing to it I suggest they cease forthwith!