Retain List

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Expecting to be the odd man out here saying I'm happy with the core group of 7 players offered new contracts. In my mind it would be suicide to try and rebuild a whole squad from scratch - I would have liked Williams and LTR to have been in the core group. Aside from being contracted, Chaney and Lathrope would not have been on my retained list nor in the clubs 'Middle ground' either. Pleased that Nicho is being given another opportunity given his baptism of fire from Rookie to Houdini over two turbulent seasons and ageing twenty years more in the process.

So if we have a squad of say 18 players Nicho's target list should have room for new blood of up to 9 new players. It will be interesting to see what Harrop and Hedges bring to the party in terms of new players. I assume if they don't perform over the summer in quality player recruitment they will not be retained either. (there's wishful thinking!)

Have we the nucleus of a side who can push for a play off place? I reserve judgement on that one, other that to say it surely can't get any worse than the past two season's - can it?

At least we can now refocus on the more important issue of the club’s future and saving it from the (not) Genghis Khan of the property development world and turn him into a true 'Yellow'.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Hancox and Duke should have been informed of their decisions much earlier and don't try to tell me that 'Mister Nicey' didn't know he was going to release these players before the opportunity to look after their own interests had gone. It's just another example of this club being managed by chancers who just do not know what they are doing and aren't fit to be in charge of any young player with aspiration.

To top off the FACT that they have been caste adrift after a shit season during which they have had to endure being loaned out to all and sundry and given no development football in-house whatsoever; the best opportunity that they would have had to put themselves in the shop window was at the EFL Exit Trials had Nicholson been competent enough to do his job properly but guess what ~ entry for those was closed on the 23rd April and the last trial was 4th May, 4 trial dates in various locations that most clubs attend as well as around 240 players....and of course in typical Torquay United fashion they were denied the opportunity to take part.

The club have failed again in their Duty of Care to those two young footballers they have shown ever since they signed them as cheap labour and to rub salt into the wounds he seems to have offered all the other players that put the club at risk until the final day of the season contracts.......you couldn't make this up if you tried!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

The must keep players must surely have been offered improved contracts (in the case of keating a contract). Of which I think deserve a new offer. So if they sign will be the nucleus of the side. The rest, can count them selves lucky, they have been given a life line ( reckon Anderson is unlucky to be not in the grade A class). Over to the head of recruitment
Lucy
Ausgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs -Legend

Post by Ausgull »

These "middle ground "players have probably been told we would like you to stay but on reduced terms so go away and see if you can get a better offer at another club if not come back to us so we can sort out a deal.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Ausgull wrote: 08 May 2017, 05:50 These "middle ground "players have probably been told we would like you to stay but on reduced terms so go away and see if you can get a better offer at another club if not come back to us so we can sort out a deal.
Yep, that's how I see it, but unlike the "core" group who have probably been handed written contract offers, I doubt very much that applies to the "middle" group - perhaps they have just been given an idea as to what the club "might" offer them if they were to be retained.

Of course, whilst these players may have been told to go out and see what they can command elsewhere, I imagine it is a two way process and so if Nicho is successful in securing his targets then any verbal "offer" made could also just as easily be withdrawn. So, for example, if Nicho was successful in say bringing Jared Hodgkiss back to the club as his first choice Roght Back, then maybe any "offer" to say GG for example, may no longer still be there?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

threelittlepiglets wrote: 08 May 2017, 00:00 Similar, you couldn't make up half the x that comes from your posts either!!! To be honest I think what happens to the two young chaps is the least of our concerns!!! A very poor attempt at shifting focus from what you wanted... the club being more vocal about 'the retain list'
Utter, arrogant crap Tim (is it?)

These players were on less than half the £300 pw you denigrated me over on the OS; you've been playing certain players as little as £60 a game last season and your ignorant disregard for employer responsibility is indicative of the rotten state of the club.

"what happens to the two young chaps is the least of our concerns!!!"

You ignorant kers!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

The club calling this "The List" is obviously for a reason! Not the "Retain List" nor the "Retained List".
Suggests that the manager doesn't have a decent budget.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

They're producing what you'd expect from such low quality employees and owners Nick.........we've seen it this season; and the close season is no different.

How many pre-season friendlies have been announced?
What attempt is there so far to sell season tickets?
Close season events to produce revenue streams?

The club ended this season as if next season didn't even exist.

There's nothing there as if there is nothing nor anyone at the club with any grasp. Surely the sensible way forward is to build the business utilising projects off the field that would see the club hopefully achieve the hoped-for success, but in a sustainable way. GI have been in possession of the club since before Christmas and as yet there is total catatonic inaction.

I'm not one of those proposing that the unsustainable underwriting of losses or failed business practice as was seen under Thea Bristow's benevolence is the way forward; but this retention of the totally failed management and playing squad of last season indicates that there is neither the will nor the wit to recover.

Attacking those who point out these deficiencies is poor management of the highest order
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I think people are looking for hidden information which in honesty is probably not there. I realise there is a lot of mistrust surrounding the club and rightly so considering the owners back record but I have always put my trust in Nicholson. Whatever your opinion of him he has always always been very honest and perhaps we should take noye when he says "I feel hugely enthusiastic for the summer ahead. I have also held discussions with general manager Geoff Harrop and our head of recruitment Dave Hedges, which has all helped to give me a clear pathway to build a strong squad.”

Merse attacking the club over the release of a young pro and the offer of non-contract terms to another is a personal issue for me - due to his circumstances with his son Anthony who is trying to make a living from the game. It is the nature of the business for youngsters to be released by clubs across all levels of football and there is nothing more than a judgment that they are not of (and are unlikely to progress to) the standard deemed needed to take a spot in the squad.

Nicho knows his key nucleus (proper offers) and the offers to these outside of that will be terms which invite them to look elsewhere. We have to remember this current squad needs refreshing and using the final few games as judgement would be short-sighted when you compare their performance over the season as a whole. Of course - if they accept the terms then Nicholson has gained a decent squad member for little outlay (it may sound harsh but you have to make the most with what you have).

As for Williams - I am not surprised to find he is not really been made an offer to stay. It is clear that there is a division between him and Nicholson and if it is choice between the two then the manager must have control. I suspect he was on a hefty wage and if the manager does not feel he can fully trust him then it is a major risk using a decent part of the budget to retain him. A shame as he has undoubted quality but again - that is football.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I'm pretty sure that in most recent seasons the early bird season ticket offer has been announced before we've even finished our season. An example being at the end of 2013/14, where the Early bird period began in mid-March, so we knew about them long before the season was over.

http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 32940.aspx

It isn't negative rubbish - just how long are we going to sit on our hands and wait? Looks like another season of waiting for all of those players that can't get a deal elsewhere and are scratching around without any income coming in. I can hardly wait.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Bleeper wrote: 07 May 2017, 18:55 I agree with the most part of that but the decision to guarantee a contract to Richards over Williams or even GG is beyond me... Nicho even says if Brett stays we have guaranteed goals, well bloody sign him up then!!
:goodpost:
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

I have removed the foul language used on recent posts (and quotes of those posts) on this topic off the back of a couple complaints. Please remember this is a family site, thank you.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Richinns wrote: 08 May 2017, 09:38 Merse attacking the club over the release of a young pro and the offer of non-contract terms to another is a personal issue for me - due to his circumstances with his son Anthony who is trying to make a living from the game. It is the nature of the business for youngsters to be released by clubs across all levels of football and there is nothing more than a judgment that they are not of (and are unlikely to progress to) the standard deemed needed to take a spot in the squad.
How is that a 'personal issue' for you then?

Players get released; granted. But there is a duty of care and responsibility on the club's behalf to do it in a responsible and holistic manner and leaving it until they cannot maximise their options is patently not the way to do it.

Kevin Nicholson is more than likely outside his experience zone in leaving it so late; Geoff Harrop is clearly not having been an academy manager and knowing full well the options that could and should lay before these boys. It was only through the experience that Charlie Duke's father has in working for Everton FC and having been involved in North West football for around 20 years, running development centres, scouting nationwide, managing the St Helens schoolboy  teams etc that he was offered a contract at all for this season when he held the club to account over their profligate attitude towards a player ending his scholar pro' term this time last year.

What I am trying to get across here is that the club as we know it is a million miles from being of an acceptable professional standard that any club calling itself 'fully professional' should be. The expression of those players' well being and interests being the last of their problems this morning says it all.

It's like I always tell my son.........be aware that when clubs want you they can't do enough for you (pay your transport costs, provide taxis etc, etc); once they decide they don't want you around any longer look out son you're on your own! No doubt the reason the Dukes would have originally picked Torquay United for their son was that Geoff Harrop, Robbie Herrera and Kevin Nancekivell would have made a good impression on them and made them feel wanted and (OK) a professional decision has been made by the manager. But the player and his family (and the same with Will Hancox for that matter) have been badly let down by the current regime not doing things in the correct manner.

When players or management get employed by a club they are employees and entitled to all the respect and conditions they are due. They are not fans and should never kid themselves they are because one day as sure as eggs are eggs they will be out of the door. That is the point I am making and it is not for stooges of the club to then turn around and divert attention away from all that by bringing childish attacks into it.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

merse btpir wrote: 08 May 2017, 09:16 but this retention of the totally failed management and playing squad of last season indicates that there is neither the will nor the wit to recover. Attacking those who point out these deficiencies is poor management of the highest order
More poisonous bile. Why don't you give just a little bit of credit to Kevin Nicholson and the players for avoiding relegation when everything happening off the field was stacked against them? Whatever your negative opinions, nobody could accuse any of the players of a lack of effort throughout the whole season.

Incidentally, your were conspicuous by your absence on here after the North Ferriby match .........
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

I can see no reason why the season ticket prices can't be announced it's not as if Osborne has to wait until the Board meets to agree such decisions,given that we still don't have one.