Retain List

Discuss all the latest news at Plainmoor with fellow fans.

TUST_Member_Rob
Star Player
Star Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Retain List

Post by TUST_Member_Rob » 07 May 2017, 20:21

offering Harrad ANY terms is madness, the blokes past it, he was on a decent wack - waste of money!

Gulliball
Administrator
Administrator
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball » 07 May 2017, 21:20

Pretty much as you would expect. Gerring, Duke and Hancox are not near the first team, so no surprises there.

All the rest of the squad has been pretty close to the team, so are in the manager's plans. They are then split into those he definitely wants to keep and those who are not 100%, so need to wait to see how finances go, how other targets go, if these players have better offers etc. It's not as clean cut as most retained lists, but you can see why.

Sign up most of those offered contracts and we'll have a reasonable spine to work from. Even with the same budget, the addition of Hedges and Nicholson being one year wiser means we should be looking at a stronger squad than we've had this year.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats

Burnhamgull
Team Captain
Team Captain

Post by Burnhamgull » 07 May 2017, 21:28

Clearly there has been a problem between Nicholson and Williams because why would you not sign him up for next season? Either they don't click or the budget is very low once again.

Richards does nothing for me, he can't pass, he's not a leader and we played better when he was missing at the end of the season. What more proof do you need?
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

Bloggy
Star Player
Star Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy » 07 May 2017, 21:30

Surely this is where Hedges and Harrop earn their money?
They've had a good few months to work on two scenarios (relegation or survival) and should have drawn up suitable/appropriate lists accordingly to support the manager! That or they've done diddly squat to justify their employment.
I wait with bated breath for this 'fit and proper' bunch to show us all they mean to make a fist of this new circumstance they find themselves in and enjoy the ride!

nickbrod
Player Coach
Player Coach
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by nickbrod » 07 May 2017, 21:44

This 'retained' list gives no confidence to me at all. Just exactly what is next season's budget? Why would any team in our situation not offer a deal to a proven goalscorer - Brett Williams?

MellowYellow
Star Player
Star Player
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow » 07 May 2017, 21:46

Expecting to be the odd man out here saying I'm happy with the core group of 7 players offered new contracts. In my mind it would be suicide to try and rebuild a whole squad from scratch - I would have liked Williams and LTR to have been in the core group. Aside from being contracted, Chaney and Lathrope would not have been on my retained list nor in the clubs 'Middle ground' either. Pleased that Nicho is being given another opportunity given his baptism of fire from Rookie to Houdini over two turbulent seasons and ageing twenty years more in the process.

So if we have a squad of say 18 players Nicho's target list should have room for new blood of up to 9 new players. It will be interesting to see what Harrop and Hedges bring to the party in terms of new players. I assume if they don't perform over the summer in quality player recruitment they will not be retained either. (there's wishful thinking!)

Have we the nucleus of a side who can push for a play off place? I reserve judgement on that one, other that to say it surely can't get any worse than the past two season's - can it?

At least we can now refocus on the more important issue of the club’s future and saving it from the (not) Genghis Khan of the property development world and turn him into a true 'Yellow'.

merse btpir
Team Captain
Team Captain
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir » 07 May 2017, 22:32

Hancox and Duke should have been informed of their decisions much earlier and don't try to tell me that 'Mister Nicey' didn't know he was going to release these players before the opportunity to look after their own interests had gone. It's just another example of this club being managed by chancers who just do not know what they are doing and aren't fit to be in charge of any young player with aspiration.

To top off the FACT that they have been caste adrift after a shit season during which they have had to endure being loaned out to all and sundry and given no development football in-house whatsoever; the best opportunity that they would have had to put themselves in the shop window was at the EFL Exit Trials had Nicholson been competent enough to do his job properly but guess what ~ entry for those was closed on the 23rd April and the last trial was 4th May, 4 trial dates in various locations that most clubs attend as well as around 240 players....and of course in typical Torquay United fashion they were denied the opportunity to take part.

The club have failed again in their Duty of Care to those two young footballers they have shown ever since they signed them as cheap labour and to rub salt into the wounds he seems to have offered all the other players that put the club at risk until the final day of the season contracts.......you couldn't make this up if you tried!

threelittlepiglets
First Team
First Team
Favourite player: Hargreaves

Post by threelittlepiglets » 07 May 2017, 23:56

TUST_Member_Rob wrote:
07 May 2017, 20:21
offering Harrad ANY terms is madness, the blokes past it, he was on a decent wack - waste of money!
He won't sign... don't worry

threelittlepiglets
First Team
First Team

Post by threelittlepiglets » 08 May 2017, 00:00

merse btpir wrote:
07 May 2017, 22:32
Hancox and Duke should have been informed of their decisions much earlier and don't try to tell me that 'Mister Nicey' didn't know he was going to release these players before the opportunity to look after their own interests had gone. It's just another example of this club being managed by chancers who just do not know what they are doing and aren't fit to be in charge of any young player with aspiration.

To top off the FACT that they have been caste adrift after a shit season during which they have had to endure being loaned out to all and sundry and given no development football in-house whatsoever; the best opportunity that they would have had to put themselves in the shop window was at the EFL Exit Trials had Nicholson been competent enough to do his job properly but guess what ~ entry for those was closed on the 23rd April and the last trial was 4th May, 4 trial dates in various locations that most clubs attend as well as around 240 players....and of course in typical Torquay United fashion they were denied the opportunity to take part.

The club have failed again in their Duty of Care to those two young footballers they have shown ever since they signed them as cheap labour and to rub salt into the wounds he seems to have offered all the other players that put the club at risk until the final day of the season contracts.......you couldn't make this up if you tried!
Similar, you couldn't make up half the shit that comes from your posts either!!! To be honest I think what happens to the two young chaps is the least of our concerns!!!

A very poor attempt at shifting focus from what you wanted... the club being more vocal about 'the retain list'

Poor effort 'Merse'

threelittlepiglets
First Team
First Team

Post by threelittlepiglets » 08 May 2017, 00:05

:goodpost:
MellowYellow wrote:
07 May 2017, 21:46
Expecting to be the odd man out here saying I'm happy with the core group of 7 players offered new contracts. In my mind it would be suicide to try and rebuild a whole squad from scratch - I would have liked Williams and LTR to have been in the core group. Aside from being contracted, Chaney and Lathrope would not have been on my retained list nor in the clubs 'Middle ground' either. Pleased that Nicho is being given another opportunity given his baptism of fire from Rookie to Houdini over two turbulent seasons and ageing twenty years more in the process.

So if we have a squad of say 18 players Nicho's target list should have room for new blood of up to 9 new players. It will be interesting to see what Harrop and Hedges bring to the party in terms of new players. I assume if they don't perform over the summer in quality player recruitment they will not be retained either. (there's wishful thinking!)

Have we the nucleus of a side who can push for a play off place? I reserve judgement on that one, other that to say it surely can't get any worse than the past two season's - can it?

At least we can now refocus on the more important issue of the club’s future and saving it from the (not) Genghis Khan of the property development world and turn him into a true 'Yellow'.
In general I agree with you and not those who seem to think we would simply sign 15 new players that will go on and win the league.

With all the negatives flying around it's east to lose sight...

lucy6lucy
Player Coach
Player Coach
Favourite player: McGinty

Post by lucy6lucy » 08 May 2017, 01:21

The must keep players must surely have been offered improved contracts (in the case of keating a contract). Of which I think deserve a new offer. So if they sign will be the nucleus of the side. The rest, can count them selves lucky, they have been given a life line ( reckon Anderson is unlucky to be not in the grade A class). Over to the head of recruitment
Lucy

Ausgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs -Legend

Post by Ausgull » 08 May 2017, 05:50

These "middle ground "players have probably been told we would like you to stay but on reduced terms so go away and see if you can get a better offer at another club if not come back to us so we can sort out a deal.

CP Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull » 08 May 2017, 07:41

Ausgull wrote:
08 May 2017, 05:50
These "middle ground "players have probably been told we would like you to stay but on reduced terms so go away and see if you can get a better offer at another club if not come back to us so we can sort out a deal.
Yep, that's how I see it, but unlike the "core" group who have probably been handed written contract offers, I doubt very much that applies to the "middle" group - perhaps they have just been given an idea as to what the club "might" offer them if they were to be retained.

Of course, whilst these players may have been told to go out and see what they can command elsewhere, I imagine it is a two way process and so if Nicho is successful in securing his targets then any verbal "offer" made could also just as easily be withdrawn. So, for example, if Nicho was successful in say bringing Jared Hodgkiss back to the club as his first choice Roght Back, then maybe any "offer" to say GG for example, may no longer still be there?

merse btpir
Team Captain
Team Captain
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir » 08 May 2017, 07:44

threelittlepiglets wrote:
08 May 2017, 00:00
merse btpir wrote:
07 May 2017, 22:32
Similar, you couldn't make up half the x that comes from your posts either!!! To be honest I think what happens to the two young chaps is the least of our concerns!!! A very poor attempt at shifting focus from what you wanted... the club being more vocal about 'the retain list'
Utter, arrogant crap Tim (is it?)

These players were on less than half the £300 pw you denigrated me over on the OS; you've been playing certain players as little as £60 a game last season and your ignorant disregard for employer responsibility is indicative of the rotten state of the club.

"what happens to the two young chaps is the least of our concerns!!!"

You ignorant kers!

threelittlepiglets
First Team
First Team

Post by threelittlepiglets » 08 May 2017, 08:56

yawn...
Last edited by Louis on 08 May 2017, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote as it contained offensive post reported by another member