Retain List

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I await with baited breath the announcement of the 'retained' list. It's all about cost, and absolutely nothing to do with ability now. I'll be amazed if anyone that isn't already under-contract for an extended period, will get a new one (I'm sure some will be offered something - but expect the pay-cut to be prohibitive). It will be sold to us that 'two relegation battles' indicate it's time to change everything around. And that might be justified. But then marvel how they fill the squad with part-time players from local football.

Really fearful that we've seen nothing yet of how bad it's going to get. Most clubs, having had the season we've had would be looking for significant improvement. I'd be amazed if we see anything of the sort. The budget will be slashed still further. By xmas, we'll be looking back at the 'glory days' where players like Young, Sparkes and Williams played in yellow. We'll have a squad of very cheap, possibly part-time, largely average footballers. Only the fact Nicho has a contract and is probably cheap, will likely mean he'll get another go.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

According to DevonLive, thanks to one of the clauses in the Blissett transfer, due to the fact Argyle have been promoted we are due to receive a "5-figure bonus" as part of the deal.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

OllieGull wrote: 03 May 2017, 13:01 According to DevonLive, thanks to one of the clauses in the Blissett transfer, due to the fact Argyle have been promoted we are due to receive a "5-figure bonus" as part of the deal.
by "we" you mean GI......
so in other words, we might as well not received anything - as it will go straight in theirs/osborne's pocket no doubt never to been seen again as TUFC are concerned.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

And.........it seems that Nicholson is staying
The great gods of knowledge , Merse and SG have been banging on for months about how he would be on his
way at the end of the season whatever league we were in, , dead man walking etc etc, got that one wrong didn't they
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

On the subject of Nicholson, happy enough for him to carry on, but on a similar budget to this year he must
improve. If we are in the bottom third (8) when we go into 2018, he has to go, I think even he would agree
with that
jackgladman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by jackgladman »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 03 May 2017, 13:36 by "we" you mean GI......
so in other words, we might as well not received anything - as it will go straight in theirs/osborne's pocket no doubt never to been seen again as TUFC are concerned.
Its only £15,000 :) I'm sure I read somewhere when Blissett initially left that the money from the deal was going into the player budget. If that meant the first £15,000 then I wouldn't hesitate for a second that money will go in GI's pockets.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

So far we have Lathorpe and Chaney with Nico staying on as manager. In other words more of the same.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

Lathrope wasn't any good first time around, he is a liability and not good enough., shame he is on another year.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

AND LETS HOPE LEEDS GET PROMOTED AS I THINK WE RECIEVE A CHUNK FOR EUNAN.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Zippy wrote: 03 May 2017, 15:36 AND LETS HOPE LEEDS GET PROMOTED AS I THINK WE RECIEVE A CHUNK FOR EUNAN.
right, well thats not happening this year
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

We were due to 'receive a chunk' from Bournemouth weren't we? That didn't happen either.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
gullsdiv2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Louis Briscoe

Post by gullsdiv2 »

I believe the deal that took O'Kane to Leeds was for £0 (or atleast below the 180k? we sold him for) upfront but if Leeds get promoted they have to pay Bournemouth £1million, we would then be entitled to 20% of the profit made on the 180k fee we were paid (20% of 820k). May be wrong but that's my understanding. To guard against this with Angus MacDonald, Rob Stanley told us at the last fans forum that our sell on clause for Gus stipulates we get a percentage of his market value even if he's sold in a similar way. Who decides that market value I don't know?!
kerswellgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Howe

Post by kerswellgull »

desperado wrote: 03 May 2017, 14:18 And.........it seems that Nicholson is staying
The great gods of knowledge , Merse and SG have been banging on for months about how he would be on his
way at the end of the season whatever league we were in, , dead man walking etc etc, got that one wrong didn't they
No, they are never wrong its just that the rest of the world foolishly doesn't always listen to the oracles
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

desperado wrote: 03 May 2017, 14:18 And.........it seems that Nicholson is staying
If you think that his continuing at Plainmoor is cut and dried ~ particularly during these always fraught and danger ridden days of 'budgetry talks', it's inherent disappointments and the club's past record of managerial casualties at this time of the year then think again........anything could happen yet and more than likely will.

Indeed it's little different at many clubs up and down the land and who would put it past the ownership to have been looking at their options and dipping their toes in the water elsewhere for a manager to take them forward in the manner to which they expect their parameters to be adhered to?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Hey I'm absolutely over the moon he's being 'given a chance' .

Of course, with the budget he's been given again would anyone else want the job? Keeping us from relegation was against the odds and has kept him in his job. I'm delighted I promise you.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com