Saturday night

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Saturday night

Post by westbaygull »

Another Great Escape. I would hope that just for today we can focus on what Nico and the team have managed to do in recent weeks and against all odds. There will be plenty of time to reflect and to worry about what happens next. Today I congratulate our manager and his team for staying up :scarf:
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Couldn't agree more. Sadly I couldn't make it today, but Kevin and lads deserve huge credit for surviving against all odds. It can't have been easy with the constant background distraction of the takeover, and the downright insulting tone of some of the posts on this site.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

westbaygull wrote: 29 Apr 2017, 14:15 Another Great Escape. I would hope that just for today we can focus on what Nico and the team have managed to do in recent weeks and against all odds. There will be plenty of time to reflect and to worry about what happens next. Today I congratulate our manager and his team for staying up :scarf:
Today is fine to celebrate then the attention must immediately turn back to the fight against Gaming International and how the hell we got into a position where we're celebrating avoiding relegation from this tinpot league for the 2nd season running. We can not rest on our laurels, this summer will be incredibly important to the club for a number of matters:
  • The budget next season.
  • Discussions with the Council over the Plainmoor freehold.
  • The fans continuing to put pressure on the Herald Express to accurately report GI's history.
  • The fans continuing to put pressure on Clarke Osborne and Geoff Harrop to do right by the club.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

SenorDingDong wrote: 29 Apr 2017, 15:26 Today is fine to celebrate then the attention must immediately turn back to the fight against Gaming International and how the hell we got into a position where we're celebrating avoiding relegation from this tinpot league for the 2nd season running. We can not rest on our laurels, this summer will be incredibly important to the club for a number of matters:
  • The fans continuing to put pressure on the Herald Express to accurately report GI's history.
  • The fans continuing to put pressure on Clarke Osborne and Geoff Harrop to do right by the club.
Absolutely. Agree on all four points
TUST number 080
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Well,I'll think about that tomorrow......
Because tonight I'm off down to the Strand area to get p155ed and have a curry.
Cheers :)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

A couple of Argyle fans who were stood with us (who left at half time to get down to Argyle, fair play to them) were saying how they rate Blissett and has done well for them when he has got on the pitch.
MuffTown Casual
Trialist
Trialist

Post by MuffTown Casual »

Sorry to highjack things. Really glad you stayed up. Always had a soft spot for Torquay (hate the green slime though 😀)

Keep your boot on your owners they seem seriously bad news.

Well off to get ready for the playoffs now UTC
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

SenorDingDong wrote: 29 Apr 2017, 15:26 Today is fine to celebrate then the attention must immediately turn back to the fight against Gaming International and how the hell we got into a position where we're celebrating avoiding relegation from this tinpot league for the 2nd season running. We can not rest on our laurels, this summer will be incredibly important to the club for a number of matters:
:goodpost:
As I posted on another thread, I am not of Kevin Foster MP's political persuasion but as a result of having emailed him a few times on the subject of the Plainmoor lease get his weekly news email. The following is an extract from the item titled Plainmoor Hopes this week.
"Finally I have had more fans get in touch with me about the ongoing debates around Plainmoor itself. From speaking with Councillors this week it is clear that any decision would be certain to involve all 36 members of Torbay Council. My view is clear that any plans for a new stadium should be approached with healthy scepticism and must be based on real business plans, not just fancy graphics."

Kevin Foster is on our side. By contacting the local candidates in the General Election when the list is published and asking how they stand on the issue of the sale of the lease of Plainmoor to GI, it may be possible to raise the profile of sale so that it becomes a local issue, at least enough to get it reported and put pressure on the mayor, certain councillors and GI.

It's been made clear by the Herald Express that they have to tread very carefully around GI, whether we agree with that or not. But if we can create a story around the possible sale of the lease during the election they can report on that and hopefully ask a few pertinent questions.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

gullpower wrote: 30 Apr 2017, 16:35 :goodpost:
As I posted on another thread, I am not of Kevin Foster MP's political persuasion but as a result of having emailed him a few times on the subject of the Plainmoor lease get his weekly news email. The following is an extract from the item titled Plainmoor Hopes this week.
"Finally I have had more fans get in touch with me about the ongoing debates around Plainmoor itself. From speaking with Councillors this week it is clear that any decision would be certain to involve all 36 members of Torbay Council. My view is clear that any plans for a new stadium should be approached with healthy scepticism and must be based on real business plans, not just fancy graphics."

Kevin Foster is on our side. By contacting the local candidates in the General Election when the list is published and asking how they stand on the issue of the sale of the lease of Plainmoor to GI, it may be possible to raise the profile of sale so that it becomes a local issue, at least enough to get it reported and put pressure on the mayor, certain councillors and GI.

It's been made clear by the Herald Express that they have to tread very carefully around GI, whether we agree with that or not. But if we can create a story around the possible sale of the lease during the election they can report on that and hopefully ask a few pertinent questions.
I'm not usually a fan of Torbay Tories because they're usually far too complacent and useless given the Bay's political demographics (Adrian Sanders aside) and they are more often than not of the reactionary/UKIP-lite/hate any change/bring back the empire/mind of an 80 year old type as opposed to One Nationers and more modern Conservatives. However all credit must be given to Kevin Foster, he has been articulate, prominent and very sceptical about GI, has responded to emails and tweets very promptly and seems to genuinely understand the fans concerns having seen this all happen before in Coventry. He's done very well on the matter and I hope he continues to give the issue prominence and makes it a campaign/discussion point in the coming weeks.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Senor, you appear to have a rather strange view of the local political landscape! However, I agree with you and Gullpower regarding our local MPs. I haven't always agreed with them on everything, but Adrian Sanders was/is a Gulls supporter and he always had the interests of his constituents at heart. Kevin Foster, too, appears to understand the situation and is genuinely supportive.