Plainmoor as we knew it

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Plainmoor as we knew it

Post by wivelgull »

Just a reminder (TUFC 2 Argyle 1). Alan Welsh shoots, Stubbs jumps out of the way.
Look at that crowd!
Plainmoor as we knew it.jpg
Plainmoor as we knew it.jpg (8.04 KiB) Viewed 2373 times
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

I Remember a boxing day game against argyle ,went with my granddad think it was 68/69 ish , snow on the pitch and around 15,000 packed into plainmoor, and think we won 2-1, Happy days.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Have clear memories of that game, was just walking into the ground in a 'blizzard'as we went 1-0 up with
a Mal Lucas goal, about as rare as snow in Torquay. Got the the winner when the very underated John Rudge
followed up his parried penalty by Jim Furnell to score at the Babbacombe End. Yes 15,000 at Plainmoor
and we think 4000 is a big crowd now
Wraysburygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Welsh

Post by Wraysburygull »

Alan Welsh, Mal Lucas and John Rudge. All used to frequent our chip shop! I remember that game . Alan Welsh gave me a lift to the ground -happy days indeed!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Zippy wrote: 28 Apr 2017, 15:14 I Remember a boxing day game against argyle ,went with my granddad think it was 68/69 ish , snow on the pitch and around 15,000 packed into plainmoor, and think we won 2-1, Happy days.
As I have the book open in front of me - it was a 2-1 win (Lucas, Rudge), Boxing Day 1970. Crowd 12 807. Better than the previous Boxing Day, a 6-0 defat at Argyle...
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

A few years ago, I think it was 2007, I met Mal Lucas in Portugal, as we had a mutual friend. We had a round of golf while we chatted about his time at Plainmoor.

He was a Welsh International but a very modest guy.
Wraysburygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Wraysburygull »

I saw the 6-0... beginning of the end !
Ottery gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Ottery gull »

Earliest memory was seeing Ernie Pymm bombing down the wing. Think the match was against Fulham and we lost but I daren't think how long ago that was. Definitely the early 60's
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Biggest attendance I have seen at Plainmoor is probably about 5500. This is mainly down to capacity restrictions in later years, but then I dont know how many we would have got if allowed more. Best atmospheres I have known were vs Tottenham 87, Scunthorpe 88 play offs, West Ham 90, Gillingham 90, Scarborough 98 play offs, a few games in Leroys tenure between 03 and 05 and vs Stockport I think in 06.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Wraysburygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Wraysburygull »

Great earlier posting. Am sure there will be a good crowd tomorrow . Welcome back 😀
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Yes, Zippy and Desperado, that match was one etched in my memory as the turnstiles weren't coping and a big queue built up in Marnham Road.

I was on a pop side stile trying to cope with freezing hands and up stepped a policeman. He grabbed me and took me to the exit gate at the Babbacombe end of the pop side (who remembers the old glasshouse turnstile cabin down there?). He then opened the gate a little and stood on one side of the gap while I stood on the other, off came his helmet which he turned upside down to make a very useful money receptacle. We then called forward anybody with the right money and in they went far more quickly.

So the moral of the story is get there early to avoid queues tomorrow!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

I remember the Babbacombe end turnstile, although I never used it.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I was at Plainmoor on 29th January 1955 aged 11 when we played Huddersfield Town in the F A Cup before 21,908 fans. Amazing day.

We lost 1-0 but it is etched in my memory for ever.

One record which will never be broken.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

portugull wrote: 29 Apr 2017, 17:52 I was at Plainmoor on 29th January 1955 aged 11 when we played Huddersfield Town in the F A Cup before 21,908 fans. Amazing day.

We lost 1-0 but it is etched in my memory for ever.

One record which will never be broken.
Yep - I was also there, aged 11 !! Were you with all the young kids in the roped off section about 6ft from the dead ball line at the Babbacombe end ??
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Well! Portugull and tomogull have trumped me - in spades! They were at Plainmoor eight years before me - well done, gents!