Clarke Osborne says 'I'm not Genghis Khan'

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

I'm not defending him playing devils....but assume can't build new till acquired old for finance and or access to it.....

Not defending him...
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

If he has the money to buy the Plainmoor freehold, why can't he put that towards the cost of a new stadium instead?
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Yorkieandy wrote: 26 Apr 2017, 11:38 If you are going to build a new stadium Ozzy then frigging well get on with it! Why waste time 'reassuring' us in pointless media soundbites. Stop talking and start building. Then we might start having some respect and some apologies to make. Nothing else you can say will ever be enough. They are just words.
It's already half-built Andy. It rests in South Wales in huge packs.. :)
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Gullscorer wrote: 26 Apr 2017, 12:26 If he has the money to buy the Plainmoor freehold, why can't he put that towards the cost of a new stadium instead?
Like it shows my business attributes lol

Presume plainmoor is worth more...again playing devils....

Am I right in saying and please someone spell it our for me...if they go ahead with new stadium ect..i presume we pay the rent at there mercy ...is it like renting a council house now and paying fair rent and then renting one from danger Dave and paying twice as much with a broken shower and damp in the corner of the bedroom
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

That depends on whether it will be the club who will own it, or some other entity. In any case, any progress towards the building of a new stadium should be concomitant with the team's progress up through the leagues.

And anyway, these things take time. Rome wasn't built in a day. And Argyle are still waiting for their new grandstand to be built. And as for Truro City...
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

The strange thing is that Dave Thomas wrote an interesting article demanding that GI reveal whether TUFC will be full time or part-time next year but then fails to mention it in the interview. Truely bizarre from such a good journalist. The whole article is so odd because it just reads like a PR leaflet from GI and no answer is challenged.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

midtable wrote: 26 Apr 2017, 13:06 The strange thing is that Dave Thomas wrote an interesting article demanding that GI reveal whether TUFC will be full time or part-time next year but then fails to mention it in the interview. Truely bizarre from such a good journalist. The whole article is so odd because it just reads like a PR leaflet from GI and no answer is challenged.
But from Dave Thomas, not so much.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Jim_Parkers_Tache
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Jamie Reid

Post by Jim_Parkers_Tache »

I read somewhere that the club is set to undertake some kind of fans consultation via the Herald Express.

If this is the case, then I'd assume the HE will be paid handsomely for its part in this and that, in the meantime, DT has been warned not to jeopardise a lucrative pay day for the paper by asking Clark Osborne anything too tricky.

If this is the case, I think it stinks. We need the HE to be asking Osborne awkward questions, not getting into bed with Gaming International and giving their regime an air of legitimacy by teaming up for a cosmetic consultation exercise - the results of which will, no doubt, be ignored - in return for a few quid.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

What i want to see if we are to even attempt to believe anything Osborne says is a viable plan for a new stadium. We hear how important the new stadium is, we hear he wants to build the new one before the old one is destroyed well show us some feasible plans then.

If it's that important then surely work is well underway and a site should not only have been identified by now but plans to actually develop it and get the necessary planning should be out there. I know there was one ages ago which if I recall correctly wasn't viable so where's the new one?

Unlike some I'm not against moving from Plainmoor in the long term, if you were to design a football stadium right now from scratch Plainmoor would barely tick a single box of the important things other than it actually being quite a nice football stadium. The ground makes next to no money other than a saturday every fortnight, the bar and shop makes money for separate companies not the club, there's no parking around it, it's miles from the nearest train station, access isn't great, there's no decent corporate facilities nor conference facilities and no extra facilities such as 3G pitches, hotels or anything likes that to make money for the club when football isn't being played.

But let's see a plan........if there is one.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Next logical step Mr Osborne is to face the fans at a public forum instead of bloody hiding behind Dave Thomas and the internal media people at plainmoor

Put yourself in front of us and have a discussion. Just maybe from your perspective you may get some people either on board or maybe you can mellow us
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 26 Apr 2017, 14:34 Next logical step Mr Osborne is to face the fans at a public forum instead of bloody hiding behind Dave Thomas and the internal media people at plainmoor

Put yourself in front of us and have a discussion. Just maybe from your perspective you may get some people either on board or maybe you can mellow us
...... or even agree to a request from Radio Devon/BBC Spotlight for an interview which Mr Osbourne has refused on numerous occasions. If as he states, TUFC will not move from Plainmoor until a new stadium is built, why is he so keen to get his hands on the freehold? The obvious answer surely must be that he wants to raise capital on the back of the freehold. I am absolutely certain that if the site earmarked for the new stadium is the old Barton Tip, there will be many 'unforeseen problems' which will push the project way over budget. What happens then ?

You would have thought Dave Thomas would have asked the bleeding obvious question - so why are you so keen to purchase the freehold of Plainmoor ?
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/sport/152060 ... ef=rl&lp=4

"Gaming International Limited, the owners of the Abbey Stadium site, have not responded to approaches about the stadium delay from the Swindon Advertiser".

The above is the latest I have seen regarding the stadium at Swindon from their local media. Osborne appears to be re-hashing a Bill Glass video interview earlier linked on here that predates the above link. Swindon readers would be aware of that.

If the HE really wanted to probe - which it clearly appears to have no desire to - mention of Bristol, Reading and Milton Keynes would have made sense.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

midtable wrote: 26 Apr 2017, 13:06 The strange thing is that Dave Thomas wrote an interesting article demanding that GI reveal whether TUFC will be full time or part-time next year but then fails to mention it in the interview. The whole article is so odd because it just reads like a PR leaflet from GI and no answer is challenged.
Good point. The overriding aim of this piece would appear to be to provide PR for GI.

GI didn't want Speedway to remain at the Abbey Stadium. Fact. It was the community and local authority who ensured they changed their mind on this. I don't know if anyone wants press links to this, but there are bloody loads of them. After some of the houses were built around Abbey Stadium, Osborne even went to the local press and said some of the homeowners didn't want the speedway to justify GI's position, before the local community got behind keeping the sport there. In 2006, GI said Swindon Speedway could share at Reading. Which they then demolished in 2008 and didn't replace.

To Dave Thomas, who asks not one single probing question about his track record, Osborne states "And do you think that the Council and the Mayor will just say: 'Yes fine, go ahead Clarke – off you go and help yourself'? No, of course not". Help yourself to what, Clarke? What are you getting at, because DT sure as hell didn't ask. Obviously it's very sad to hear he feels a bit deflated at the moment. It seems we only ever hear from them when fans raise the issue of the freehold via either the proper media or petition. Anyone else notice that?
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

The fact that Dave Thomas has still yet to ask one single question about GI's history of failures to build stadiums and their association with Bristol Rovers and Hereford tells you all you need to know about his relationship with GI. This information has been around the forums since last Spring for christ's sake!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Dave Thomas' part in all this stinks; utterly stinks and he's reduced himself to being no more than an apologist lap-dog in all this disgraceful affair.

To think of all the years he's made a living out of chronicling the club and now he stoops to this utter, gutter level.