Mini documentary about Torquay United (First Look Media)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
aaronernst
New Signing
New Signing

Mini documentary about Torquay United (First Look Media)

Post by aaronernst »

Hi all,

I'm a freelance producer for US-based First Look Media. The company produces in-depth feature films (it won an Oscar in 2016 for the film Spotlight) as well as shorter-length mini-documentaries. I'm helping them to develop a digital sports-based series focusing on teams and individuals who have persevered in the face of long odds. Our director read about the team's near relegation in the 1986-87 season, the intervention of Bryn etc., and asked me to reach out to learn more.

Would anyone be able to put me in touch with former players who were at that match? I'd also love to speak with long-time fans of the club who could give me a broader history of the club.

Finally, from what I've read, Torquay is playing an incredibly important match this Saturday. I'd love to speak with anyone who might be there, and who could give me advice about how to obtain footage.

I'm based in Washington DC, so any delay in response will likely be due to the time difference.

Many thanks.

Aaron Ernst
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Sounds exciting I love the 1980s stuff
I went every game that season

have the entire match against Crewe at the end of the 86/87 on DVD and it's on my YouTube channel .

I sent Mario Walsh a couple years ago a copy of the match programme for that game so possible contact there.
Somes gems in that year that should have the next year got promoted

Mark loram ..greatest talent I've ever seen
Paul Dobson.. last few games Williams has reminded me of him...getting in right areas and producing the goods.
Jim mcnichol ...solid as you like
aaronernst
New Signing
New Signing

Post by aaronernst »

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated!

The link to footage is great as well. I'll send you a direct message so you have my contact info.

Cheers,

Aaron
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Ok mate...sounds fascinating. I'm sure myself and many others can provide as much detail and information as needed. It would be brilliant if you can follow this project through
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

Sounds cool

Anyone have any footage of the Torquay Swansea play off final second leg from 88?

Was only young but remember the quagmire pitch and the physicality of the game being like something out of Game of Thrones!
aaronernst
New Signing
New Signing

Post by aaronernst »

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll keep you posted on our progress. I need to get as much information as I can now, ideally find someone who would be able to film Saturday's game, and take it from there. I'm available to chat on the phone anytime this week, let me know when might work best.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

PlainmoorB0b wrote: 24 Apr 2017, 21:38 Sounds cool

Anyone have any footage of the Torquay Swansea play off final second leg from 88?

Was only young but remember the quagmire pitch and the physicality of the game being like something out of Game of Thrones!
Yes full game mate...will dig it out and upload it onto my YouTube account
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

You just made my life!!!! :scarf:
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

It's got Pete barraclough commenting on the whole match also
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

aaronernst wrote: 24 Apr 2017, 21:51 Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll keep you posted on our progress. I need to get as much information as I can now, ideally find someone who would be able to film Saturday's game, and take it from there. I'm available to chat on the phone anytime this week, let me know when might work best.
You should probably speak to BT Sport about that as they own the broadcasting rights for the National League at the moment.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

If It's any help I have followed the fortunes (or is I have been sentenced as it sometimes feel like I've transgressed in a previous life`) Of the Gulls from 1964 unto the present day. seen better and worse. remembered huge crowds at Plainmoor and when it was close to running a competition of spot the crowd. Met and friended quite a few players along the way. have quite a lot of memories.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

No way!!!

Never knew that existed ... :O

Unbelievable game as I remember - about as brutal as the opening twenty minutes of Saving Private Ryan!!! What a "hard" side Cyril's Torquay were!
aaronernst
New Signing
New Signing

Post by aaronernst »

Jerry wrote: 24 Apr 2017, 22:30 You should probably speak to BT Sport about that as they own the broadcasting rights for the National League at the moment.
Thanks, any chance you have a contact there?
aaronernst
New Signing
New Signing

Post by aaronernst »

Glostergull wrote: 24 Apr 2017, 22:32 If It's any help I have followed the fortunes (or is I have been sentenced as it sometimes feel like I've transgressed in a previous life`) Of the Gulls from 1964 unto the present day. seen better and worse. remembered huge crowds at Plainmoor and when it was close to running a competition of spot the crowd. Met and friended quite a few players along the way. have quite a lot of memories.
Would love to chat...I'll send you my contact info via direct message.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

aaronernst wrote: 24 Apr 2017, 21:06 Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated!

The link to footage is great as well. I'll send you a direct message so you have my contact info.

Cheers,

Aaron
Don't forget, the struggle goes on today, both on and off the pitch.
TUST number 080