Bad Vibes. Let's get them out of the way

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Agreed - great post. Just for clarification, my understanding that the reason Paul Cox 'walked away' was because he was promised a contract by David Phillips and the promise wasn't kept. As you say, wouldn't any manager walk away in those circumstances? The other point - I may be wrong because there have been soooo many players' coming and going in the recent three or four years that it all merges into a haze, but weren't the players you mention Alan Knill's signings and not Hargreaves?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

great post Gulliball.

its a shame that posters still see us a the "club with 80yrs football league experience"......

its gone. and wont be back for a long time due to the mismanagement of our beloved club.

there are loads of ex-league clubs in our league and even worse below.

Nicho - despite all the obstacles put in front of him - has done a splendid job and if anybody thinks that someone would come and manage this team and convince players to come here for the money they are are nuts.

I remember getting slated for saying that I would take 20th place in league 2 for 20yrs guaranteed - we can only dream of that now after all the crap we've had to (and still) put up with.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

Good post Gulliball
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

royalgull wrote: 25 Apr 2017, 17:00 I'm kind of with merse, IF we get over the line saturday and save ourselves then it's a great effort from Nicho and this small bunch of players to have kept the club up from what was a second desperate looking situation on the spin.

BUT

Under no circumstances should it be considered an achievement or more to the point a success. This league is pitiful and we've been a football league club for over 80 odd years, survival in this division is a failure of a season and until the mindset changes from everyone and that includes the fans to not accept seasons like this on the field then we will continually be in these crappy situations.

As a football club at this level Torquay should be one of the bigger hitters, should expect to be in and around the top 6 and anything else should be considered a failure. Because of the disastrous last 5 or 6 years there's kind of been an acceptance of failure around the place and if that's the attitude top to bottom then you'll never achieve anything.

These players over the course of this season have proven in the main to not really be good enough, that's not being overly harsh or nasty it's just fact there are some that are and everyone knows the extra factors going on that has made Nicho's job borderline untenable. i feel for him, I'd love to see him be given a chance to be a manager, he's just been firefighting for 2 seasons, begging and borrowing players to try and fill numbers. i don't blame these current players it's not their fault they aren't good enough to make us a good side and by and large they try their best but I've felt this acceptance of failure has been going on far too long.

It's not the main reason, it's because the previous board couldn't afford to run the football club properly which is why we ended up with this squad and now GI threaten to bury us but if we can sort all that mess out the next thing that has to change is the club's mentality.

Ultimately though we've got 1 game we have to win to salvage this again and try and forget about it forever.
You won't celebrate, after (hopefully) dodging the biggest, deadliest bullet ever aimed at the club? I'd be absolutely ecstatic for an hour or two, massively relieved that the end of the club isn't perhaps quite so nigh, but painfully aware of the huge under-achievement of our club in a league of part-time footballers.

None of that is the point though. The point is, will a critical assessment of the manager and playing staff help in the build up to this massive game? I'm inclined to think we'd be better off waiting until at least 2pm on Saturday.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Fonda wrote: 26 Apr 2017, 13:22 You won't celebrate, after (hopefully) dodging the biggest, deadliest bullet ever aimed at the club? I'd be absolutely ecstatic for an hour or two, massively relieved that the end of the club isn't perhaps quite so nigh, but painfully aware of the huge under-achievement of our club in a league of part-time footballers.

None of that is the point though. The point is, will a critical assessment of the manager and playing staff help in the build up to this massive game? I'm inclined to think we'd be better off waiting until at least 2pm on Saturday.
I'll punch the air breath a sigh of relief and then try and forget the last 2 years ever happened. To celebrate two horrendous seasons by this club's standards including some defeats which should have seen this team run out of town and protests about it i find a bit personally a sad state of affairs. It's that attitude that we've got to change top to bottom, some standards need to be set.

But it's all irrelevant right now, only Saturday and winning that game matters. What will be will be after, Nicho deserves whatever plaudits are flying around though for fingers crossed keeping Torquay up when everything and everyone is conspiring around him to make his life a nightmare.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

A time to say goodbye to the entire squad and management ~ whatever you think of them; they surely won't be engaged for another season of this
Don't know about that. Our results and performances of late have been encouraging. We were unlucky by all accounts to lose at Lincoln (division winners Lincoln!), so I think there are at least a few players who could do a job in a team designed for more than bottom feeding next season. The test, of course, is how much money the manage (whoever it is) is given by the shysters in charge for next season, and how that cash is applied to bringing in decent players.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Can't wait for Saturday. I think there is a fair bit of tosh about whether we celebrate or not. Of course people are going to celebrate if we win. We are football fans after all.

The adrenalin rush after beating Dover was huge. It won't be any different when we finish the job on Saturday.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

And now I have just seen "its scarf day" on Saturday - who actually dreams this guff up. We don't need any gimmicks whatsoever - yellow day, scarf day is a complete load of bollocks .

Beat North Ferriby and that's it - nothing else is needed. There is simply no other focus.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Gullscorer wrote: 26 Apr 2017, 22:05 I agree with Brucie. :)
So do I ...... and so does Wivel :-D