"There's gonna be a riot". ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I would if i could/ But don't know how to link FB to this page. its on TorquayFans Yellow army.
And to all those who said. they can safely be ignored. remember how fans were vilified at Hillsborough. Yes I know it was all overturned in the end. But thats not the point. accusations can be made with the flimsiest of evidence. it only takes one member of the public to start putting it around that fans could start a riot whether its true or not and before you know it we have the Police descending on Plainmoor in van loads and the council trying to rid themselves of the football club as a liability. remember one stupid individual who threw a brick at a coach last season i think it was and all of a sudden loads of Police were promised to beef up security. and that was one small incident even though it was potentially very serious. it was blown out of proportion. and comments on Facebook can be blown out of proportion too. remember the landlord who was suspected of being involved with a murder. I think it was in Weston Super Mare. He was hounded to the point he thought of suicide. yet he was innocent. yes he was cleared but mud sticks whether fairly or not.
We can't afford mud of any kind. its no good saying it will all blow over. it might but the short term is what he have to battle with at the moment and thats where the damage will be done if this is allowed to blow out of proportion. please don't let me come back later and say I told you so. its happened before and it can happen again.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Are you talking about this Glos?

"A chant for Dover on Saturday -

Don't let us die, by selling to GI, I just don't think you understand, that if you let us die, by selling to GI, you'll have a riot on your hands...

Yellow army, yellow army...."

If so, it's little more than a chant.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

I thought it was regarding the above. It's not an actual threat of rioting, more 'we're going to be pissed off...'

Cardiff City had a version of this chant, you can see from the reaction of the Liverpool fans applauding in solidarity - it's not an aggressive chant. It just isn't.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Parkys People wrote: 22 Apr 2017, 01:33 I thought it was regarding the above. It's not an actual threat of rioting, more 'we're going to be pissed off...'

Cardiff City had a version of this chant, you can see from the reaction of the Liverpool fans applauding in solidarity - it's not an aggressive chant. It just isn't.
Quite a commom chant now. Didn't the popular side sing it about sacking Nicholson at the end of last season?

Imagine if all football chants were taken literally....

"Build a bonfire put the Argyle on the top..." nobody would advocate setting fire to fellow football fans.

Man Utd fans would be ascending into heaven to drink with George Best.

Matt Hockley would be a murderer...'You don't want to **** with Hockley, cos Hockley will **** kill you."

It would be impossible to go anywhere without seeing Kevin Hill.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

This would undo all the good work that fans have been doing to get the GI/Plainmoor issue to a wider audience. Slowly but surely its working as Merse's Observer/Guardian story and the item in Westcountry news showed. Kevin Foster MP for Torbay has included a piece on TUFC and Plainmoor in his weekly news letter.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

It's nothing new for Andrew to get something totally out of context ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Soupdragon wrote: 21 Apr 2017, 20:25 You think the mayor is going to be at the town hall on a Saturday at 10am? The place will be locked up.
A better time to gather outside, or even inside, the Town Hall would be when the Policy Development and Decision Group (Joint Operations Team) meeting is taking place when the lease of Plainmoor is to be discussed. However, as this meeting is constantly being put back it would be difficult to know when to gather. Worryingly, a mate of mine who is familiar with the planning process said that this is a tactic used to get unpopular decisions through - the meeting is postponed again and again until those against lose interest and it slips through. It will be important therefore to keep our eye on the ball.
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Parkys People »

gullpower wrote: 22 Apr 2017, 07:57 This would undo all the good work that fans have been doing to get the GI/Plainmoor issue to a wider audience. Slowly but surely its working as Merse's Observer/Guardian story and the item in Westcountry news showed. Kevin Foster MP for Torbay has included a piece on TUFC and Plainmoor in his weekly news letter.
What would undo the good work? A chant? As mentioned was used for Kevin Nicholson last season.

Wrong.end.of.the.stick.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Parkys People wrote: 22 Apr 2017, 09:09 What would undo the good work? A chant? As mentioned was used for Kevin Nicholson last season.

Wrong.end.of.the.stick.
Rioting. I'm all for peaceful protest and especially chanting.
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Parkys People »

gullpower wrote: 22 Apr 2017, 09:16 Rioting. I'm all for peaceful protest and especially chanting.
There's no suggestion of literally rioting. It's a tongue in cheek lyric in a chant, which was taken out of context.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Parkys People wrote: 22 Apr 2017, 09:20 There's no suggestion of literally rioting. It's a tongue in cheek lyric in a chant, which was taken out of context.
Ah! Thanks. As an old git I know the song but not familiar with the lyrics.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 22 Apr 2017, 08:17 It's nothing new for Andrew to get something totally out of context ;-)
It Nothing to do with getting it out of context. your all thinking of how football fans think. yeah I saw the comment about liverpool fans applauding it, you need to take the blinkers off, the little old lady at the end of the terrace assuredly does not think like that. listen to history. many non football fans still think we are a bunch of unruly hooligans. but ignore me if you like. just don't moan if its used as a weapon against us. We have to be whiter than white. I remember my Auntie being worried enough about it that she wouldn't go outside on match days. it had nothing to do with what actually happened. it was what she saw on TV whipped up by the media. she lived almost next door to the lodge.

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

just to give an example. a lorry delivered in topsham today and got stuck . it tried to turn a corner. its scraped the corner of a pub wall. traffic was held up. police said minimal damage done.
how did it get reported by Devon live.com. (idoubt newspapers will carry it yet.) gridlock as lorry crashes in topsham and takes chunk out of pub. not exactly minimal damage and not exactly a crash was it. Yet that is how it gets blown out of proportion. The public then gets on at local councillors and it will be brought up at council meetings. I wonder if they will ask i lorries can be banned or restricted.
Now apply it to UTD, Fans upset over GI. Letters to councillors. But one decides to write a letter which some not so diplomatic words in it. coupled with a few posts on Facebook which others see, one says there could be a riot. Public picks up on it and reports it to their local councillor who says. yes local hooligans again we have to keep them in touch. goes to council meeting and speaks up in support of locals and brings up hooligan element. gets others on his side. Trenches get doug. People take sides and our argument is neutralised. end.

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Well then, with the greatest of respect, the problem lies with people who need to educate themselves and not whip up a frenzy that's not needed.

The world changes constantly, and people neeed to realise that and move with the times.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

DevonYellow wrote: 22 Apr 2017, 07:14 Quite a commom chant now. Didn't the popular side sing it about sacking Nicholson at the end of last season?

Imagine if all football chants were taken literally....

"Build a bonfire put the Argyle on the top..." nobody would advocate setting fire to fellow football fans.

Man Utd fans would be ascending into heaven to drink with George Best.

Matt Hockley would be a murderer...'You don't want to **** with Hockley, cos Hockley will **** kill you."

It would be impossible to go anywhere without seeing Kevin Hill.
This should be the close of the thread. It's a very common football tune, and is not actually advocating a literal riot - as per the other examples above. I have sung build a bonfire and the Matt Hockley songs, without ever having a disposition towards murder, so I think this can very easily be put in context and ignored.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats