Dover Athletic v Torquay United 22/4/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Dover Athletic v Torquay United 22/4/17

Post by lucy6lucy »

Where do you start with this one. On current form Dovers last 10 home games have resulted in 5wins, 4 draws and 1 defeat. As for Torquay our last 10 away has returned 2 wins, 5 draws and 3 defeats. If you didn't know our league position, you would suggest our away form isn't too bad. And equally Dover aren't invincible. Back to reality, Dover losing to aldershot on Monday takes them out of the playoff places, so they will see us as easy cannon fodder for 3 points. But I'm sure aldershot and Lincoln thought the same, and boy did we battle with them both despite a 1 point return.
A Torquay win on Saturday in my mind will see us safe against all the odds, a draw will guarantee a last match lottery. Defeat and we are relying on 2/3 not Winning on Saturday otherwise we are down. On paper Dover should win this, but the team just look so galvanised at the moment, and as brucie keeps saying the league apart from the top 3 is piss poor.
Dover away is nothing to be afraid off, if we are committed, avoid a red card, injury free we can do this. Remember a draw is not the end, but a win would surely see us safe.
Lucy
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I have a few facts and figures for this one. I have taken a look at our performance against all teams in the play off positions + the top of the league team and also included Dover (who sit just outside the play offs).

If I have added the figures up right we have taken 16 points out of a possible 33 against these teams (48.48%) We have scored. 17 goals and conceded 16 goals.

We havn't lost a game against any of the top six sides by more than one goal. Similarly our victories have all been by the odd goal.

You can make what you like of statistics but the two stand out factors for me are as follows:

1. We can clearly complete against teams at the top of the league - in fact you would have to ask, why on earth are we in the bottom four?

2. The Dover game is just too close to call. I would say that the positions in the league table are completely irrelevant in the context of this match. It may well come down to a refereeing decision or a stroke of luck to decide the outcome.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Our stroke of luck has been Osborne turning Harrop into the Fat Controller. He's pissed off so many of the staff at the club they're determined to upset the planned relegation and stick two fingers up to him. That slice of luck can continue for another couple of games and then we can all concentrate on fighting to save the club from oblivion.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I think the best we can hope for is a draw - can't see us scraping a win. Just hope we have a realistic chance of survival going into the NF game.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Modgull wrote: 20 Apr 2017, 07:47 I think the best we can hope for is a draw - can't see us scraping a win. Just hope we have a realistic chance of survival going into the NF game.
TBH with goal difference etc, unless we win it matters more what happens in the York, Braintree and Guiseley games. If we lose or draw, as long as those games end in defeats for the above or draws it still doesn't change the final day picture - only a win is good enough for us, but in that case the other sides would have to win too (with the possible exception of Guiseley and their extra point - we NEED them to lose one of their games whereas two draws for York and Braintree will see them down if we beat NF)
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

A draw would bring Woking & Solihull back into the equation. This is particularly relevant as Woking play York Saturday & Solihull play Guiseley the week after.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Too often hopes are raised, then dashed. I fear that this will be the case here. Thus:

Dover Athletic (0) 1
TUFC (o) 0

Att: 1853.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

A win or draw would be great, if that couples with a loss for either Braintree or York or Gueisley we would be out of the bottom 4

That would be fantastic for the NF game, as simple as you like - win and you stay up.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

I wasn't actually going to go to this even though it's one of the local games for me.... I really do detest Dover Athletic, their fans (the ones I've had the misfortune to encounter on many occasions at both Angels and Gulls games), their manager who is a complete and utter cock, and, yep, Dover itself.... horrible town...and very reluctant to hand over my hard-earned cash to this horrible club.

But.... if we can scrape a draw (or even better a victory) it will make it all the sweeter and worth a couple of hours in the arse-end of Kent.

So, yes, I'll be there.... and at Plainmoor next week for the game which will have a massive bearing on the future of Torquay UNITED Football Club.

So... 1-1 (with results going our way elsewhere.... and then all to play for on the 29th)

COYY!
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Can I suggest that if there is no segregation at Dover again we try to all stand together, not some at each end and a few on the side like last season. Dover’s support is likely to be loud and to make the maximum noise we need as many Torquay fans as possible together under the roof at one end or the other.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

standupsitdown wrote: 20 Apr 2017, 15:27 Can I suggest that if there is no segregation at Dover again we try to all stand together, not some at each end and a few on the side like last season. Dover’s support is likely to be loud and to make the maximum noise we need as many Torquay fans as possible together under the roof at one end or the other.
Solihull away is the perfect example. Not sure if you went there, but that atmosphere was great. I genuinely believe Solihull fans where embarrassed.
Lucy
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Is anyone going up From the Bristol or Gloucester area. I wasn't going to go but i feel i have to somehow, I don't think the coach is going my way but with the cost and admittance that might be a bit too much for me anyway.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

I won't be going either.............

Silly old bugger that I am and already in the NH queue for a hip replacement; I wrecked my pelvic muscles last night demonstrating how to cushion high balls with the instep on the training ground leaving me walking as if pushing a wheelbarrow this morning. There'll be no Dan Sparkes like fitness test for me!

I'd decided last Sunday that I would stay away from this week's game but in time honoured fashion had been seduced by the call of live football through the week and sourcing an £18 return trip on the HST from St Pancras; now it'll be sitting at home with the radio on :'(
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I am out at a local game on Saturday which may actually be the best thing as I nearly flipped a switch listening to the Lincoln commentary. However if things turn out well for us I will be breaking my exile for North Ferriby game.