Anyone fancy standing for our MP as a 'Save TUFC from GI' candidate?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Signed already.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Signed also, up to 970 now! :-D
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

merse btpir wrote: 20 Apr 2017, 22:25 Instead of waffling about something no-one can agree on
There's an online petition.......

to the Mayor of Torbay Gordon Oliver to listen to the wishes of Torquay United supporters and on it they say......

"In times like this we need to show the mayor what the Torquay United brand means to this town and the clubs supporters. First step is to get some names down and start gelling people together. Support and solidarity. We are getting great support and advice from lots of other supporters who will also sign this petition also. Please share this petition as many times as you can."

Sign it now and boost the numbers!

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/gor ... n=sign-pet
Done, I wholeheartedly suggest anyone else who hasn't done gets on board as well. Amazingly we're getting near 1,000 signatures, which is far and above the Torbay Council petition of a couple months back regarding the Council coming clean about their meetings. Shows the benefit of getting the article in the Guardian!
budleigh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by budleigh »

Signed... and was signature 1,000... so the target has been reached.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

I wonder if Dave Thomas/Herald Express pick up on this.. hmm :no:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Signed.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Legend has it that Plainmoor was built on a old Roman fort. Can we not make sure this isn't a myth. (I am sure someone has some old Roman artifacts that could be buried under the turf). Then we could bring in a local archaeological trust to confirm the historical interest and raise a protection order on the site.
WillowsGull
New Signing
New Signing

Post by WillowsGull »

hector wrote: 20 Apr 2017, 21:48 Nobody is suggesting a candidate is fielded in the hope they get elected.

That would never happen.

The suggestion is simply to field a candidate to draw attention to the club's plight. There is no need for any candidate to speak about Brexit or the NHS because fielding a candidate would simply be a piece of advertising. £500 for the message to get into every household in the bay, to have it broadcast on TV. Probably a fairly cheap piece of advertising.

Is the original poster willing to stand?
Sadly, I have far too much on at the moment to stand. Interesting comments from all forum members so far and some good counter ideas.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

who was the original poster. Yes I could stand but only with an understanding that i tackle the job of MP properly. not just TUFC but transport. Health. Welfare etc. whether the bay is bothered is the question.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I see that tony bedeau has signed the petition.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Signed.

That's more like it. Although my petition to be presented to the Council committee got enough signatures to be presented, the numbers on this petition are more representative of the fan base.

COYY!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

MellowYellow wrote: 21 Apr 2017, 00:15Legend has it that Plainmoor was built on a old Roman fort.
.....well it's got bats and there are skeletons in the cupboards. We know that; Clarke Osborne told us! :devil:
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

hector wrote: 20 Apr 2017, 21:48 Nobody is suggesting a candidate is fielded in the hope they get elected.

That would never happen.

The suggestion is simply to field a candidate to draw attention to the club's plight. There is no need for any candidate to speak about Brexit or the NHS because fielding a candidate would simply be a piece of advertising. £500 for the message to get into every household in the bay, to have it broadcast on TV. Probably a fairly cheap piece of advertising.

Is the original poster willing to stand?
:goodpost:

Precisely!

I give up, its not a difficult thing to understand IS IT?
TUST MEMBER
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

It's not a difficult thing to understand Neal; no ~ but totally futile in such a time constrained time (a less than 7 weeks window) when key people are making very real progress in getting the right people on board such as the local MP and other candidates in the General Election........the local MP Kevin Foster is on board by the way and was a campaigning councillor in Coventry when the Ricoh Arena issue first came about correctly forecasting the problems that would lay ahead for Coventry City.

Disrespecting that election and it's serious candidates only serves to discredit those doing so in my opinion. In contrast the Charlton Athletic campaign was a serious effort to get representation on Greenwich Borough Council and succeeded. It succeeded on the main platform of it's being too ~ Charlton Athletic returned to the Valley and have a fine stadium (if not club owners) today.

The campaign of pressure is working by the way. The freehold has once again been taken off the agenda for next weeks meeting and (I believe) postponed until July indicating that the report to the Mayor still isn't finalised so we have to keep everyone's eye on the ball through the close season when less attention is on the club because they simply won't be playing which again emphasises how much attention is on them during the football season and how valuable that is to a town like Torquay.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

To be pedantic its not even the freehold that's being discussed in July but the leasehold.