Anyone fancy standing for our MP as a 'Save TUFC from GI' candidate?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

Jeez, you need huge amounts of time and money to run a GE campaign. Plus huge amounts of people: those leaflets don't deliver themselves. And neither do they write nor print themselves.

If you want to make a splash in the GE campaign to publicise our plight, then make a lot of noise about standing, then just don't. But then you run the risk of actually turning people against TUFC. And if you do stand, then remember there are all sorts of restrictions on what you can and cannot do (check out the Electoral Commission's website for a flavour).

Far better would be to keep on at those who are standing for their views on the whole TUFC saga. Convince them that it's a big deal for locals and get them to include statements supporting us in their leaflets. You'll reach a darn sight more people doing that.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

Better to persuade all the Parliamentary candidates to make the future of Torquay United a local issue and get them to publicly support Council retention of the lease and the need for GI to invest in the club,engage properly with supporters/the community,be more transparent,etc,etc.
Kevin Foster is supportive but Adrian Sanders isn't standing though will be heavily involved in the Lib Dem campaign,so will no doubt fully brief their candidate on the issues. Maybe Julien Parrott will be standing for UKIP too? Members of the Labour campaign team such as Darren Cowell,know the issues and will be supportive,I'm sure the Greens will too.Ignore any racist candidates from the BNP or the like if they stand,but lets try and get it in the local manifestos of all the other main parties.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Soupdragon »

torregull wrote: 19 Apr 2017, 10:13 but Adrian Sanders isn't standing
Now that IS surprising!
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Anyone know what Kevin Fosters view point is?

an MP for Torbay should be aware of the issues
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Soupdragon »

Soupdragon wrote: 19 Apr 2017, 10:32 Now that IS surprising!
And I hear that, although Adrian said he would never stand again in a GE, he didn't rule out standing if there was a snap election (although we were led to believe by Mrs May that there wouldn't be one of these!). He's 50:50 about it, today, I'm told. So, who knows.

If he doesn't stand, other LibDem options might include long-serving, well-respected councillor Steve Darling; or Dennis Brewer who has stood for the LibDems in the past two mayoral elections.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

torregull wrote: 19 Apr 2017, 10:13 Better to persuade all the Parliamentary candidates to make the future of Torquay United a local issue and get them to publicly support Council retention of the lease and the need for GI to invest in the club,engage properly with supporters/the community,be more transparent,etc,etc.
Kevin Foster is supportive but Adrian Sanders isn't standing though will be heavily involved in the Lib Dem campaign,so will no doubt fully brief their candidate on the issues. Maybe Julien Parrott will be standing for UKIP too? Members of the Labour campaign team such as Darren Cowell,know the issues and will be supportive,I'm sure the Greens will too.Ignore any racist candidates from the BNP or the like if they stand,but lets try and get it in the local manifestos of all the other main parties.
I agree, this is the only realistic way to turn the GE to our advantage. Make it a local issue.
TUST number 080
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Kevin Foster the current Tory MP for Torbay is a regular at Plainmoor so hopefully he puts the issue as something he'd look into as a election pledge.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 19 Apr 2017, 10:33 Anyone know what Kevin Fosters view point is?

an MP for Torbay should be aware of the issues
He's been quite vocal via email and Twitter that he supports the club, that he's worried about GI and most importantly that he has seen this all happen before with Coventry City when he lived in Coventry. The latter point is particularly important as he has experience dealing with a situation exactly like this. He's kept his powder dry in terms of public criticism though, not sure how engage TUST have been with him either.

He's probably our best bet (regardless of some people's political views) thanks to the likelihood that he will win the seat again (Torbay is big on Brexit) and his experiences in Coventry, as compared to some rookie Lib Dem who is likely not to have experienced predatory football club owners.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

He's been kept fully abreast of the situation by TUST.
Duncan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Duncan »

In such a marginal seat with only a couple thousand votes between the two main contenders last time around our votes could be crucial.

I suggest we place our faith in the officers of the TUST. Get both favoured candidates to meet with the TUST hierarchy to share their thoughts on this issue. Hear what they all have to say and on recommendation we ALL campaign for whoever makes the more favourable manifesto pledge with regards to our beloved club.

I dare say the candidate who can come up with the assurances to save our club would win in such a tight seat with the fans of TUFC deciding the result.

Any thoughts?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Now that's a sensible suggestion!
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Duncan wrote: 19 Apr 2017, 13:18 In such a marginal seat with only a couple thousand votes between the two main contenders last time around our votes could be crucial.

I suggest we place our faith in the officers of the TUST. Get both favoured candidates to meet with the TUST hierarchy to share their thoughts on this issue. Hear what they all have to say and on recommendation we ALL campaign for whoever makes the more favourable manifesto pledge with regards to our beloved club.

I dare say the candidate who can come up with the assurances to save our club would win in such a tight seat with the fans of TUFC deciding the result.

Any thoughts?
Sounds like a very good idea.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Duncan wrote: 19 Apr 2017, 13:18 In such a marginal seat with only a couple thousand votes between the two main contenders last time around our votes could be crucial.

Any thoughts?
Even if Kevin foster was the most enthusiastic candidate for our cause I am not going to break the habit of a life time and start voting bloody Tory; never have, never will.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

merse btpir wrote: 19 Apr 2017, 13:48 Now that's a sensible suggestion!
I couldn't see you voting Tory under any circumstances.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

:bow: Well I don't live down there, I am in the Hornsey & Wood Green constituency now having moved over from Jeremy Corbyn's Islington North stronghold since the last General Election.

That rules out being able to vote tactically and my only 'X' will go into the box for my sitting Labour MP Catherine West who shoved the LibDems/Quislings out of this seat last time round.

Would I vote tactically and vote Tory in Torbay if was able to? Well considering this is an entirely fraudulent attempt by Theresa May to push through something (BREXIT) she knows in her heart of hearts she will be unable to do in the manner that she wishes and absolutely nothing about the Government's appalling policies on education, health and social issues; then YES I probably would.

I used to vote tactically against the Tories when I lived in Newton Abbot, and you can probably guess that meant not voting Labour then