Anyone fancy standing for our MP as a 'Save TUFC from GI' candidate?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

Neal wrote: 20 Apr 2017, 18:20 Well I bet GI are laughing all the way to the bank.

We are divided on here, the handfull of posters actually on here cant agree on nearly anything.

The proposal that there are more important thingsis ridiculous. Of course there is, but if you take that view then you can say that about anything. I would expect that view from a mainstream political party. Lots of voters vote on local issues of all different kinds, thats democracy and their choice, not yours. Lets just have a candidates from conservative, labour, and lib dems then.

A big issue nationally is building on just about anything the greedy developers can get their mucky hands on. School playing fields, parks, football grounds, just about anything. We will have no open space left if it carries on.

Basingstoke play probably their last game at the camrose this week, being built on and they have nowhere to go. Terrible. Give the f#cking lot to them.

And if you think any major political party will take the issue of development on community assets as a major issue your barking mad.

I will check the manifestos when they come out.
No, I don't believe we are divided at all. We are simply divided over the best way to go about things. That's democracy. I think we all agree on the basics: No to selling Plainmoor to GI.

Please also be aware that £500 is just for standing. I think you might get help with posting one leaflet out to all households in the Bay (although it may be that you won't get even that, these days) ... you've got to actually write and print that leaflet. I think it's in the region of 40k households, so that's 40k leaflets you'll need. You can't rely on people reading the HE (I don't*, for example) or watching the local news on ITV or BBC (I don't*, for example), and - realistically - how much coverage are you really going to get there? So you are going to have to pay to keep the message in front of people. Where's the money coming from for that? Not to mention the time commitment involved: turning up to hustings; being available for interviews and comment; setting up, as a minimum, a website; having the common courtesy to respond to any and all contacts regarding your 'campaign' (and many of those will be in writing, not just quick texts or emails); as well as keeping a gimlet eye on how much you're spending doing each of these things (spending rules are draconian, and rightly so: you must account for everything).

If the HE was published on a daily basis, and if the paper supported our stance, it might have been an idea to pitch a 'daily election diary' idea to them for the election. But it isn't and they don't. And think of the time commitment that would involve, anyway.

* I'm not unusual in that respect.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

I didn't get the impression that Neal is putting himself forward as the 'candidate' did I?

So what he is so outraged about is that well known other person 'Somebody Else' is not going to do it instead.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

After reading the comments on this post I have come to the conclusion this is not a good idea.

1) As sue says it is a tremendous committment of time, money and resources with a debatable outcome.

2) I do not think that this general election is going to be popular with the general public, so it is not in our interests to be associated with it.

3) standing in an election for publicity purposes would probably only work in a high profile by-election with national media attention.

4) I think it is likely that we could be accused of trivializing an important event like the general election. There is a lot more at stake than just a football club.
Duncan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Duncan »

With one of the bays favored candidates in the loop I can tip-toe back into my bunker where i belong.

What a great result today on the pitch.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

:scarf: Keep promoting the petition

4,414 signatures so far
Goal: 5,000

I've just got a couple of big football celebrities to sign.........look out for their names this week!

They're onto the story and wanting to give it maximum publicity
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Where is petition
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »