Last day of Season Deciders

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Last day of Season Deciders

Post by standupsitdown »

In 30 years it seems that Torquay have had more than our fair share of crucial last day of the season matches.
I can recall going to the following (apologies of I’ve got scores wrong and I know they’re not all in the correct order).
(and I’ve said 3rd & 4th divisions as I can’t recall when names were changed)

Crewe (home) Drew 2.2 Avoided relegation from 4th division

Scunthorpe (home) Lost 2.1 Failed to get promotion from 4th division.
(then there was Swansea play off but I missed that)

Blackpool (Wembley) Won on penalties. Promotion from 4th division.

Colchester (Wembley) Lost 1.0. Failed to get promotion from 4th division.

Barnet (away) Won 4.3 Avoided relegation from 4th division.

Boston (home) Drew 0.0 Avoided relegation from 4th division.

Southend (away) Won 2.1 Promoted from 4th division.

Colchester (away) Lost 2.0 Relegated from 3rd division.

Bristol Rovers (home) Drew 3.3 Avoided relegation from 4th division.

Exeter (home) Lost 4.1 Failed to get to Conference Play off final

Stevenage (Old Trafford) Lost 1.0 Failed to get promotion from Conference Playoff final.

Mansfield (away) Won 3.1 Relegated from 4th division.

I missed Orient away when we won to stay up and a couple of losing play off semi-finals I think (Preston was one)

So that’s roughly every other season that promotion or relegation has been decided at the last league match or play off (and you could almost count last year at Bromley). I wonder if any other club can match this (or would want to!)

Hopefully North Ferriby will be another to add to the list.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

You left out Cambridge at Wembley. How could you forget that match ??? 'Wayne Carlisle has the ball, he crosses and there's Tim Sills ........... ' GOALLLLLL !!! We're back in the league !! Oh happy days. A million miles from where we are now. Yes - let's hope we're still in with a shout by the time we play North Ferriby.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

tomogull wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 19:49 You left out Cambridge at Wembley. How could you forget that match ??? 'Wayne Carlisle has the ball, he crosses and there's Tim Sills ........... ' GOALLLLLL !!! We're back in the league !! Oh happy days. A million miles from where we are now. Yes - let's hope we're still in with a shout by the time we play North Ferriby.
I knew I'd forget one. A great day that was.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

It won't go down to the last game unfortunately.

They think it's all Dover........ it is now! ☹️
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

You also forgot Leyton Orient, needed a draw for auto promotion, lost.

You can't really count Mansfield as we were already down.

Play off semi final defeats or final wins or defeats are by nature the last game of the season.

Barnet was 3-2. Colchester was 2-1.

But all in all, good posting. yes- we do have a lot of final day deciders. I can't see one this season though sadly.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Kernowgull wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 08:18 You also forgot Leyton Orient, needed a draw for auto promotion, lost.

You can't really count Mansfield as we were already down.

Play off semi final defeats or final wins or defeats are by nature the last game of the season.

Barnet was 3-2. Colchester was 2-1.

But all in all, good posting. yes- we do have a lot of final day deciders. I can't see one this season though sadly.
I'm confused about the Mansfield game.
My recollection is that we could have stayed up if Northampton or Bristol Rovers lost and we won, but looking at the table despite winning we ended up 5 points adrift. A BBC Sport report on the match says that we were relegated despite winning as Northampton and Bristol Rovers won, but the table suggests otherwise. I can't remember whether I travelled to Mansfield with the slight hope we'd stay up or just to see our final Football League game.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Nearly, tomogull. Actually it's....'Carlisle has the ball....he's looking for Benyon....SILLS!!!!

(or, even better....Somers has the ball....he's looking for Northcott....STUBBS!!!!).
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

kevgull wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 22:29 It won't go down to the last game unfortunately.
They think it's all Dover........ it is now! ☹️
........ :red:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I found the promotion chokers much harder to take than the relegations.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

hector wrote: 18 Apr 2017, 06:52 I found the promotion chokers much harder to take than the relegations.
A bit of both for me. Colchester (A) in Leroy's L1 season was one I found hard to take. Maybe more so than relegations to the Conference. I think a relegation to Conference South would feel worse than all promotion chokers, though. Like most of us, I have looked at the last two games for all our fellow relegation contenders. And probably like the majority, I have managed to contrive us being above the dreaded line. As with all these things, it's the hope that gets you.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Home to Scunthorpe in 1988 was the worse for me. It was the first time in my then ten years as a Torquay supporter that we ever came close to promotion.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 18 Apr 2017, 16:00 Home to Scunthorpe in 1988 was the worse for me. It was the first time in my then ten years as a Torquay supporter that we ever came close to promotion.
What made that one even worse for us was meeting some Scunthorpe supporters on Newton Abbott station afterwards and them saying they'd preferred to have lost so they got a better draw in the play offs.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

standupsitdown wrote: 18 Apr 2017, 16:15 What made that one even worse for us was meeting some Scunthorpe supporters on Newton Abbott station afterwards and them saying they'd preferred to have lost so they got a better draw in the play offs.
Well at least we got them back in the play offs.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

I didn't much enjoy Deepdale and losing a 2-0 lead to PNE, whichever year that was. Bloody Raynor.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »